Theobromine in chocolate whose tried a mega dose?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

04 Mar 2007, 8:07 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine

I'm interested in trying a large dose of Theobromine to see how it compares to
evil caffeine . I just drank 16 oz of green tea so I want to fly higher. Anyway seems
it has low solubility in water. So maybe making it stronger could involve dissolving in another solvent such as 95% ethanol (Everclear brand in the US).

Anybody eat a mega dose of chocolate out there? I have seen extract rich in theobromine being sold online.

http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa090301a.htm

Quote:
Because of its ability to dilate blood vessels, theobromine also has been used to treat high blood pressure.

Sounds safe for me to try to.

Last edited by TheMachine1 on 04 Mar 2007, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 8:10 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine

I'm interested in trying a large dose of Theobromine to see how it compares to
evil caffeine . I just drank 16 oz of green tea so I want to fly higher. Anyway seems
it has low solubility in water. So maybe making it stronger could involve dissolving in another solvent such as 95% ethanol (Everclear brand in the US).

Anybody eat a mega dose of chocolate out there? I have seen extract rich in theobromine being sold online.

There's a brand of chocolate available called Lindt you can find it in your grocery store, I've seen bars with 80% Cacao (and eaten). I haven't had any effects, it just seems to be really powerful chocolate.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 8:29 pm

I read that its ten times weaker than caffiene so that means you would need gram or
more amounts of it to have a major effect.

0.5-2.7% theobromine x 80% coca bar * amount_ofbar = 1 gram theobromine

46 to 250 gram of the bar to get that much.

http://www.chocolate.org/theobromine.html

Quote:
A cocoa powder extract containing 117 mg theobromine/g extract was prepared using 85% boiling methanol.

So making a 11.7% extract seems fairly easy to make. I doubt I would use methanol.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 8:31 pm

You would probably need two or three bars to get the desired effect then.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 9:25 pm

I eat strong (70%+) chocolate most days. 3 squares in one go is my limit! 1 bar would make me jittery, anxious, feeling strong physical unpleasantness and struggling not to panic.

Perhaps im unusually sensitive, but i strongly recommend against sudden large doses of theobromine. start low. you can always take more next time but you cant go back & take less. The withdrawal if i overdo chocolate for too long a period is similar to the 'doldrums' empty feeling of a cocaine come-down (without any of the fun beforehand).

If you want to intensify chocolate effects, consider stacking with cannabis.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 9:51 pm

Ah, theobromide

theos (God) bromide (food)

you know, the phenols in theobromide (phenoethylalonines, to be exact) is a precursor to phenolallanine the amino acid that allows us to feel joy.

and the greatest concentrations of theobromide is indeed in chocolate. . . and roses!
Just think of Valentine's Day and then remember that one of the by products of phenolallinines is limerence, or the romantic crush.

so watch it out there!
Merle

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Mar 2007, 9:56 pm

im fairly certain caffine triggers anxiety

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 10:15 pm

richardbenson wrote:
im fairly certain caffine triggers anxiety

yeah in a way it does. large amounts of caffiene, even small amounts with some people, causes heart palpitations and even arrythmias. people with heart conditions that they don't even know they have, such as MVP which is extremely common, will get that fight or flight feeling from caffiene or feel like they are having an anxiety attack because it will also make the adrenals go into high gear. i've read ERs across the country report an increase of young people with cardiac symtoms after consuming energy drinks with high concentrations of caffiene.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 10:51 pm

ahayes wrote:
There's a brand of chocolate available called Lindt you can find it in your grocery store, I've seen bars with 80% Cacao (and eaten). I haven't had any effects, it just seems to be really powerful chocolate.

This weekend I bought a Lindt "Excellence" dark chocolate bar that is 85% cocoa. Never again. The bitter aftertaste is horrendous. I'll stick with my Hershey Extra Dark (which is 60%).

BTW, I've only had two squares of the Lindt Excellence (which also has a 70% version that isn't so bad). I am not sure I can eat the rest. Yecch.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 10:59 pm

Yea, it took me two weeks to eat a bar of the stuff because if you eat it too fast it tastes bad.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 11:10 pm

Xenon wrote:
ahayes wrote:

This weekend I bought a Lindt "Excellence" dark chocolate bar that is 85% cocoa. Never again. The bitter aftertaste is horrendous. I'll stick with my Hershey Extra Dark (which is 60%).

BTW, I've only had two squares of the Lindt Excellence (which also has a 70% version that isn't so bad). I am not sure I can eat the rest. Yecch.

I read some where alot of the bitterness is from the theobromine. I got side track working on problems with my computer and never got around to making an extract yet.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2007, 7:26 am

Im sure if i eat a lot of strong chocolate on its own, i can feel chemical(s) on my breath shortly afterwards, similar to when youve been drinking alcohol only a different taste.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2007, 9:29 pm

http://web1.caryacademy.org/chemistry/r ... erties.htm

Quote:
1 gram is soluble in approximately 2000 mL of water and 150 ml of boiling water.

Seem a water extract of theobromine would work. I put a 1/4 c of coca powder in a 1 cup Pyrex cup and added water to make 1 cup. I heated it in the microwave to just under a boil and filtered some of the liquid. Its hard to filter the thick paste I created but I filter a small amount to taste the product. Maybe 15 ml -30 ml 1/2 oz to 1 oz of
a brownish tea colored liquid. I added whole milk to it and it had a chocolate note but a little bitter. I added one pack of splenda(artificial sweetener) and it tasted fine.

Seem alot more water will be needed to do the extraction. Because its too thick and because it will cool down too fast precipitating the theobromine in the filter instead of the filtered liquid.

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2007, 9:32 pm

This sounds odd but I think that too much chocolate can make one fat x:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2007, 9:49 pm

Do they have them in tablet form?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2007, 10:01 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Do they have them in tablet form?

I see extracts for sale but they all seem so weak one would need to take the entire bottle to get to 1 gram Theobromine levels. Seems quite a few weight lost formulas are now using it.

Update:

I made a large amount of the extract and I'm drinkingit now. Its very bitter!