Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 3:47 pm

People often say that those with autism love water. I am probably one of those people who love being in and around it, but I was wondering if others liked water as well. What are your thoughts on this? Do you also have a love for water?

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Sep 2014, 3:56 pm

Ambivalent. I don't mind being around water and on a boat, but I do not particularly care to be in the water. I definitely DO NOT like to get my head under the water surface. I have a major issue with that. Learning to swim was hard. I think that I was about 3-4 years behind my peers. I also dislike the feeling of rain. My wife says that I'm worse than a cat when it comes to the rain.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 4:05 pm

If I am in the water by my own choice I enjoy it, even if I'm just by myself (actually that's probably my preference). I don't always like public pools because they can get extremely crowded.

If I am not planning on getting wet, however, that is a whole different story. I absolutely hate getting wet if I am not intentionally doing it myself. If someone gets me wet without my permission I will be very angry. And once I'm out of the water, even if I elected to get in, I don't like staying wet because I hate the way the water droplets feel running down my skin.

- Sherlock Holmes

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 4:07 pm

I like being near water but I hate swimming.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 4:08 pm

I love water. I love swimming. I love rain. I also love watching seals, dolphins, fishes, beavers etc swimming in water.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 4:15 pm

I like watching water, hearing water and being in water, but like someone above said, if it's my choice and I have control over the situation, and don't like staying wet after getting out.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 4:16 pm

I love being submerged in water. I'm my happiest and most at peace when I'm swimming in an empty/nearly empty swimming pool. Of course, little kids screaming, splashing, and throwing things will ruin it.

I guess I like the feel of the water and the serenity of it.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 4:31 pm

I love it and spend a lot of time in it. I use to swim a lot and now I kayak. I have a hard time swimming in pools because of the chlorine and sanitation issues but if I had my way I would have a salt water pool. But now I spend a ton of time on the lake kayaking or at the lake relaxing just looking at it. But I find water very soothing and calming. I also love the ocean and rivers and waterfalls. I love solid water too! Great for skiing!

Wreck It Ralph

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 5:02 pm

I like being on or near the water. My sport is rowing - I find it so beautiful and relaxing to be on the water at dawn by myself.
I don't really like being immersed in water. I had great difficulty learning to swim because of the feeling of water pressing against me and I hated putting my head underwater. I can swim enough to save my life but I don't enjoy it.
I don't like showering - I have a lot of issues there. If I have to do it I get it over with as quickly as possible. Often I just sponge myself down using the handbasin. I also wash my hair in the laundry sink. Using baking soda as shampoo means I don't have to rinse as much.
I really like the rain - the sound, sight, smell. I don't mind getting wet in the rain.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 5:05 pm

Since I was an infant I loved the feeling of water and being in it. I'd sit in puddles after rain :P

(not a native speaker)

scribbler99
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Sep 2014, 5:08 pm

I love water too, but I have no idea whether that is connected to being on the spectrum.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 5:10 pm

scribbler99 wrote:
I love water too, but I have no idea whether that is connected to being on the spectrum.
I have read that it is. It's not like NT's can't love water or don't love water, but I have read that Autistic people are drawn to water.

Wreck It Ralph

Tiffany_Aching
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Sep 2014, 5:18 pm

I love water, but I've been able to swim since before I could walk. Might have something to do with it.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 5:23 pm

There may be some subconscious connection to memories of being in the womb.

Still, I have heard that Gaterade is better.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 5:35 pm

I had never heard that before. But yes I do like it in the sense I like being in it, swimming, surfing, rafting, canoeing or just floating around. I like the ocean best, but all lakes and rivers. I like on a large creek that runs year round. The sound is relaxing.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 5:35 pm

When I was younger I was definitely drawn to water, though nowadays I wouldn't say I'm as drawn to it. I enjoy a nice long shower, and I also like sitting in a hot tub or a steam room or sauna, but I'm not a terribly big fan of swimming.

Truth be told, when I was really young I had a few incidents where I came close to drowning, and this freaked out my mother to the point that I actually developed a fear of drowning, and this kept me from learning how to swim for many years. I eventually got over this when I was 9-10ish, and I remember taking a few swimming lessons, but an encounter I had with the diving board at the local pool scared the living crap out of me, and made me lose interest in the lessons. Later, I kind of rediscovered how to swim on my own, and for a few years I actually enjoyed it somewhat. I even got over my fear of the diving board when I was about 15, though I think I may have made a successful jump off of it when I was 13-14. Better late than never, and if I were at a pool right now, I'd probably give it another go. Over the last few years though, my swimming skills have kind of atrophied. I used to be able to tread water, but now I don't think I can. I'm OK if I keep moving, but I can't keep myself in one spot.