Do you think autism influences people's music or art?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Do you think autism influences music or art?
Yes 52%  52%  [ 11 ]
Sometimes 38%  38%  [ 8 ]
No 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 21

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 5:14 am

I think that autism can kind affect writing, especially if it's autobiographical. I also think that autism can affect song lyrics. Do you think autism can affect music(not lyrics) and visual art?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 5:52 am

I voted "sometimes" because I do believe it can't help but influence and come out in anything that one's mind has creatively produced, and on the other hand a person with autism is still a human being also, and share some common things with all human beings. So, those things too will come out in the art or music and connect with NT humans too.

So "sometimes" for me means both autism-influence and just plain "everyone-relatable" things will be included in the creativity of an autistic person.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 6:35 am

I believe autism influences all arts--by virtue of its inherent introspection.

Basically, a person with autism could, most possibly, have a unique perspective upon their world.

Outrider15
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2014, 6:35 am

I said 'yes', but it really depends on what you mean.

I think because us Aspies have a tendency to have special interests we spend a lot of time and dedication focusing on, I think those of us with art, writing or music-related interests might spend more time and effort into our hobbies than an NT might.

For example a musical-minded NT would still have friends and a social life. A more shy and isolated person might have much more time to work on their interests. Not all aspies are shy and isolated though of course...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 4:30 am

Very much so. More then what topics are but how those topics viewed what topics and how it sounds but especially how it sounds, the structure etc.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2014, 3:04 pm

I think it might be freeing. Autistic people tend to like what they like without taking into consideration or feeling pressured by what is fashionable, so this may free them up to create something original. Possibly.