Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 1:15 am

I'm starting at a social skills group that's held through my university on Wednesday. It's the first meeting, and it's specifically for adults. Apparently there are going to be 8 to 12 members and 2 group leaders. I've never done this sort of thing before and wanted to hear from some of you what your experiences were like. Did you enjoy it? Find it helpful? Make new friends? I'm kind of hoping to make friends with some of the other group members; I only have one friend right now, and she's NT. It'd be nice to have a friend on the spectrum who deals with the same things I do.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 10:05 pm

I go to one and I like it. However, we have had quite a few people show up once or twice and then never return, so it isn't enjoyable for everyone. I joined mainly in hopes of making some new friends. I have been attending my group for quite a while now (over a year), and I think I am just starting to make some friends that I talk to before the group starts or afterwards a little bit, but none that I have exchanged email addresses/phone numbers with or done anything with outside of the group yet. I hope to do those kinds of things eventually.

I like the sense of belonging that I get there. People talk about things I can relate to, and no one thinks the things I talk about are weird. It's a really cool feeling to be in a room full of people who are pretty similar to me. However, the meetings can be extremely boring sometimes, depending in the topic, activity and who is present or absent that day.

I don't think I have really found it helpful as far as improving my social skills, but it has definitely helped me feel less alone because now I know that there really are people like me out there!

I would definitely recommend that you try your school's group out. If you don't like it, I would say give it at least 2-3 tries before you decide not to go back for sure, because I know with my group, one week is often totally different from another. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 11:44 pm

I haven't actually found them that helpful. I couldn't really get along with anyone and most of the conversation topics were boring. Maybe it's more helpful if its for adults. I've only been to groups that are for kids and teens.