How do I keep from going stir-crazy during Ebola pandemic?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 5:44 pm

I am a fairly paranoid person; however, at this point I think the "Ebola outbreak" in the US may be a little over-played.

Am I trying to avoid places where we're likely to come in contact with lots of international travelers?? Yes, but I do that anyway. Do I rather adamantly think that ANYONE who shows up in the doctor's office or ER with vomiting, diarrhea, and a fever should be assumed to have Ebola until it's ruled out?? Probably.

Do I think it's going to be the devastating pandemic of our time?? Not so much. I'm much more concerned about mosquito-borne encephalitis and the influenza.

Even if you do get it-- A 50 to 60 percent mortality rate is terrifying, but not exactly a death sentence.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 9:10 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I think this topic brings up an issue that's fun to discuss - what to do about boredom in a post-apocalyptic world. Currently, most people use electronic devices to entertain themselves a for a good portion of their free time. What happens if that's no longer an option? Additionally, a person might find him/herself with a LOT more free time on their hands - holed up waiting for the zombie horde to pass by, for example, or all alone sitting by a campfire of an evening. Entertainment, while it can seem a trivial concern compared to safety and obtaining food, is important in preserving a person's mental health. Perhaps, in addition to batteries and cans of beans, doomsday preppers should be stocking their shelters with stacks of books and board games?

Between subsistence farming, spinning and weaving your own clothes, making your own soap, and building your own log cabins, a post apacalypitic person, would have no spare time anyway. So not to worry.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 9:26 pm

The worst thing that can happen is that you get it and die.

If you look at everything but that, then you're dandy.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 7:09 am

The fact that this Ebola outbreak could have been engineered in a laboratory is only a theory. I'm not an expert on this next subject but I want to say that the possibility of Ebola mutating and going airborne is impossible.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 4:05 pm

It's not spread through the air, it's spread through bodily fluids. You aren't contagious until you start feeling sick. It's pretty unlikely you'll catch it even if you do use a public bathroom after somebody who has it. Wipe the seat off or just squat over it or put paper down.

Also, it's running wild in Africa, not in the US. Overall, we are healthier here and have better nutrition. I doubt we are as susceptible to catching something as the people in Africa.

Just go out and live your life. If a case is reported in your city, then it's time to start worrying. Until then, it's not anything to worry about. You're more likely to get hit by a bus running away from a guy who sneezes than you are of catching ebola.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 4:16 pm

The OP is more like to get killed by a healthy Canadian driver who texts while driving than by a sick person in west africa. If the Canadian bad drivers didnt worry you then dont let this worry you.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 3:16 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
It's not spread through the air, it's spread through bodily fluids. You aren't contagious until you start feeling sick. It's pretty unlikely you'll catch it even if you do use a public bathroom after somebody who has it. Wipe the seat off or just squat over it or put paper down. .

Yeah...
That's definitely the way to handle infectious bodily fluids OMFG.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 4:03 am

Actually, it is capable of spreading through the air.

If someone is infectious (symptomatic) and spits on you, then there you go if a mucous membrane or open wound is contaminated.

Semantics, yeah, but that's still airborne; it just needs to be a rather large "droplet". A pretty big piece of phlegm looks like a good culprit.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 10:32 am

Quote:
Between subsistence farming, spinning and weaving your own clothes, making your own soap, and building your own log cabins, a post apacalypitic person, would have no spare time anyway. So not to worry.

There'd be no need to build a house or make anything for quite a while. You would need to start farming pretty quickly, but you could probably survive the first year or two just by planting potatoes and eating them along with canned goods, pasta, etc. You'd need to chop a lot of wood for fires if you lived in a northern climate, or else consider migrating. A lot would depend on how safe it was to leave your home to scavenge.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 12:23 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I think this topic brings up an issue that's fun to discuss - what to do about boredom in a post-apocalyptic world. Currently, most people use electronic devices to entertain themselves a for a good portion of their free time. What happens if that's no longer an option? Additionally, a person might find him/herself with a LOT more free time on their hands - holed up waiting for the zombie horde to pass by, for example, or all alone sitting by a campfire of an evening. Entertainment, while it can seem a trivial concern compared to safety and obtaining food, is important in preserving a person's mental health. Perhaps, in addition to batteries and cans of beans, doomsday preppers should be stocking their shelters with stacks of books and board games?

Farming. We will spend most of our time growing, hunting, or otherwise gathering food. Besides that, I recommend the Banjo.