Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 3:51 pm

. . . and I think I got the job. He just has to check my references which should be fine.

It's for part-time team member at Tim Hortons (a Canadian doughnut franchise.) I haven't worked in a customer service role for over a year and I totally burned out last time.
This time I made a point of telling him that I was on disability support and could not work shifts more than 6 hours. He said that was fine - they could accommodate that. Woohoo!

I've never worked in a food environment before but am willing to try.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 5:10 pm

I hope you get the position and you are satisfied with it. Do not stop job hunting you actually have the position

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 5:40 pm

Congrats!

I hope this works out for you!

Seems like this just might be a good situation. The hirer sounds like an understanding person.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 6:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I hope you get the position and you are satisfied with it. Do not stop job hunting you actually have the position

Thanks! I hope it works out. But I will keep looking.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Congrats!

I hope this works out for you!

Seems like this just might be a good situation. The hirer sounds like an understanding person.

Tim Hortons has a reputation for being supportive of the disabled community.

Thanks!

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2014, 10:07 pm

That's where I worked for 5 years.

I'm glad I'm gone from there. Well not technically gone- they are holding my job for me but I can't do it anymore due to issues with standing. (I think I have http://www.dinet.org/index.php/informat ... s-symptoms )

But I don't miss the stress of the place - nonsense BS from co-workers and impatient, can't-make-up-their-minds customers. I just couldn't take much more there anyway. I'd leave my shift and wonder how I managed to not absolutely snap.

I was on reduced hours too (for the POTS, not for Asperger's) One of the supervisors didn't like me much because I would work so slow because my heart rate was very high. They knew full well I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia/CFS. They'd pester me why I couldn't use the ladder even though I told them for 3 years I have a balance problem till I got a doctor's note saying I'm not to be asked to go on them.

Even though I'm getting the run-around from welfare and Unemployment I'm glad I don't have to deal with the stress of work anymore.

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 10:36 pm

little_blue_jay wrote:
Even though I'm getting the run-around from welfare and Unemployment I'm glad I don't have to deal with the stress of work anymore.

Yeah, I'm kind a worried about that. It's a very busy place.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2014, 1:24 am

androbot01 wrote:
little_blue_jay wrote:

Yeah, I'm kind a worried about that. It's a very busy place.

Maybe you'll be able to handle it better than I. With my tachycardia the faster I would try to work the worse it would get till I would just have to slow right down. It was frightening.

Thank G*d when my doctor filled out the medical form for welfare he had to ask me what type of work I felt I could do and I said 'a sit-down job' and he didn't even question it & took me seriously. Even then I might have to be on reduced hours still.

There were ok aspects of TH. One or two supervisors were very nice to me and understood that I had medical issues but I didn't work with them frequently. And if you eat TH food you get 25% off!

Good luck! Keep us posted on how the job turns out for you. :)

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 12:28 pm

Well, I had the second interview and they offered me part-time: three 6 hour shifts per week. Which is perfect. I feel pretty good about this as I disclosed my high functioning autism to the manager and she agreed that I wouldn't work any more than 6 hours per day.
I really hope this works out - I've had such a bad time with working in the past.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 12:33 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Well, I had the second interview and they offered me part-time: three 6 hour shifts per week. Which is perfect. I feel pretty good about this as I disclosed my high functioning autism to the manager and she agreed that I wouldn't work any more than 6 hours per day.
I really hope this works out - I've had such a bad time with working in the past.

Congratulations on the job! :)

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 1:53 pm

androbot01 wrote:

That's just lovely. I hope it works well for you. :D

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 1:57 pm

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 8:06 pm

That is great news.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman