Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 3:51 pm

. . . and I think I got the job. He just has to check my references which should be fine.

It's for part-time team member at Tim Hortons (a Canadian doughnut franchise.) I haven't worked in a customer service role for over a year and I totally burned out last time.
This time I made a point of telling him that I was on disability support and could not work shifts more than 6 hours. He said that was fine - they could accommodate that. Woohoo!

I've never worked in a food environment before but am willing to try.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 5:10 pm

I hope you get the position and you are satisfied with it. Do not stop job hunting you actually have the position

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 5:40 pm

Congrats!

I hope this works out for you!

Seems like this just might be a good situation. The hirer sounds like an understanding person.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 6:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I hope you get the position and you are satisfied with it. Do not stop job hunting you actually have the position

Thanks! I hope it works out. But I will keep looking.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Congrats!

I hope this works out for you!

Seems like this just might be a good situation. The hirer sounds like an understanding person.

Tim Hortons has a reputation for being supportive of the disabled community.

Thanks!

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2014, 10:07 pm

That's where I worked for 5 years.

I'm glad I'm gone from there. Well not technically gone- they are holding my job for me but I can't do it anymore due to issues with standing. (I think I have http://www.dinet.org/index.php/informat ... s-symptoms )

But I don't miss the stress of the place - nonsense BS from co-workers and impatient, can't-make-up-their-minds customers. I just couldn't take much more there anyway. I'd leave my shift and wonder how I managed to not absolutely snap.

I was on reduced hours too (for the POTS, not for Asperger's) One of the supervisors didn't like me much because I would work so slow because my heart rate was very high. They knew full well I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia/CFS. They'd pester me why I couldn't use the ladder even though I told them for 3 years I have a balance problem till I got a doctor's note saying I'm not to be asked to go on them.

Even though I'm getting the run-around from welfare and Unemployment I'm glad I don't have to deal with the stress of work anymore.

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196
"Everyone inside the circle is normal. Everyone outside the circle should be beaten, broken, and reset, so they can be brought inside the circle. Failing that, they should be institutionalized, or worse, pitied. Why would you feel sorry for someone who gets to opt out of the inane courteous formalities, which are utterly meaningless, insincere, and therefore degrading? Can you imagine how liberating it would be to live a life free of all the mind-numbing social niceties? I don't pity this kid. I envy him." Dr. Gregory House, speaking of a boy with autism, House M.D.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 10:36 pm

little_blue_jay wrote:
Even though I'm getting the run-around from welfare and Unemployment I'm glad I don't have to deal with the stress of work anymore.

Yeah, I'm kind a worried about that. It's a very busy place.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2014, 1:24 am

androbot01 wrote:
little_blue_jay wrote:

Yeah, I'm kind a worried about that. It's a very busy place.

Maybe you'll be able to handle it better than I. With my tachycardia the faster I would try to work the worse it would get till I would just have to slow right down. It was frightening.

Thank G*d when my doctor filled out the medical form for welfare he had to ask me what type of work I felt I could do and I said 'a sit-down job' and he didn't even question it & took me seriously. Even then I might have to be on reduced hours still.

There were ok aspects of TH. One or two supervisors were very nice to me and understood that I had medical issues but I didn't work with them frequently. And if you eat TH food you get 25% off!

Good luck! Keep us posted on how the job turns out for you. :)

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196
"Everyone inside the circle is normal. Everyone outside the circle should be beaten, broken, and reset, so they can be brought inside the circle. Failing that, they should be institutionalized, or worse, pitied. Why would you feel sorry for someone who gets to opt out of the inane courteous formalities, which are utterly meaningless, insincere, and therefore degrading? Can you imagine how liberating it would be to live a life free of all the mind-numbing social niceties? I don't pity this kid. I envy him." Dr. Gregory House, speaking of a boy with autism, House M.D.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 12:28 pm

Well, I had the second interview and they offered me part-time: three 6 hour shifts per week. Which is perfect. I feel pretty good about this as I disclosed my high functioning autism to the manager and she agreed that I wouldn't work any more than 6 hours per day.
I really hope this works out - I've had such a bad time with working in the past.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 12:33 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Well, I had the second interview and they offered me part-time: three 6 hour shifts per week. Which is perfect. I feel pretty good about this as I disclosed my high functioning autism to the manager and she agreed that I wouldn't work any more than 6 hours per day.
I really hope this works out - I've had such a bad time with working in the past.

Congratulations on the job! :)

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 1:53 pm

androbot01 wrote:

That's just lovely. I hope it works well for you. :D

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 1:57 pm

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 8:06 pm

That is great news.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman