Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2014, 9:14 pm

I found out today that I will be laid off in Feb 2015. At first all I could do is laugh. Now I have no idea where I will be working next year. I do very poorly with change and I'm sure I will have a severe melt down the 1st week that I'm no longer there. I have worked there for 14 years and have no idea who will hire me. Has anyone else on the Spectrum had to deal with this type of situation?

- Edgar Allan Poe -

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 1:19 am

Sorry to read about you losing your job after 14 years.

Many of us (including myself) have gone through what you are going through now.

The important thing to do is not to lose heart. If you are capable in your job and get a reference from your outgoing manager, that sure help you find your next job.

Keeping your qualifications up to date and making the most of any educational opportunities that come along will also help you.

Having a good resume will help as well and scouring the job ads in your line and making lots of job applications, will improve your chances of finding your next job.

Good luck.

Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 5:09 am

I have not, but in my line of work I'm expendable. I'm just a dumb truck driver. As long as I don't have DUIs, a history of illegal drugs or multiple traffic incidents (which I don't) anyone will hire me, and the industry knows this.

What do you do? Who else can hire you for the type of work you do?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 5:19 am

Now would be a good time to think about where your career is at, if you want to go in another direction etc. And you don't need to feel guilt about taking a day off for interviews or just information seeking.

I found it felt very weird at first to be home after years of routine. but also it was nice to suddenly not have time pressure. But it does get boring after awhile.

Good luck

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RitaCeleste
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Oct 2014, 5:22 am

I stayed home with my kids for over 16 years. My first job back in the work place was at Burger King. They have been really great. They put me on the front register and then on the back window. They would pull me aside and say "Breath, just take them one at a time. Don't look at the line, focus on the one in front of you." I became all stressed out. This has got to be one of the more challenging jobs I've taken. Six month later they are teaching me more and I'm still there and not as freaked out as I was. I was walking around for a couple of months thinking, "This is the craziest job I could of ever tried to do! They are gonna fire me any second. I will never get use to this! Its not possible for me." But they didn't fire me and I am getting use to even fast food. You never know where you will find caring people who are willing to work with you. And you never how you will feel about a job months down the line. You may surprise yourself.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 5:29 am

About four years ago I learned that I would be losing my job of nineteen years. I guess I just tried to set aside my emotions and concentrate on finding suitable new employment. In my particular case it also required relocating. I became very single minded and focused like a lazar beam on what I thought would be a suitable alternative. Well, it did work out. Granted I took a pay cut - but I did find a place of employment much less stressful than the one I left behind. I am happier now than I was in my former place even though I was initially in a state of shock when I found out that my work situation would be coming to an end. Sometimes these things are a blessing in disguise.

- Albert Einstein

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 7:35 am

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. It must be a shock after 14 years of working for them. At least you have your job until February. You can start looking for your next job now. You still have at least 3 months. You may find a new job even before February. You can prepare your resume and start applying for positions in November.

The company I work for also made some people redundant from 2013 to 2014. Those who were made redundant were told to leave immediately right then. "Today is your last day, good-bye." Just like that. The first group of people who got retrenched were shocked to be kicked out just like that.

If you can afford it, you could take a few months' break from work. When I was unemployed, I didn't realize how nice it was not to have to go to work. When I got my current job, I realized that I should've enjoyed my free time (unemployment) more rather than just be depressed.

wiztrader
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2014, 11:10 am

I too am very sorry about your job situation. You didn't mention your age but as someone suggested its a very good time to take a look at your life and try to figure out where you want to go in the future. Because you (we) don't deal well with change you would likely never leave your current job on your own. This is an opportunity - try to focus on that. And make sure you get severance. Best wishes.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 3:10 pm

Deb1970 wrote:
I found out today that I will be laid off in Feb 2015. At first all I could do is laugh. Now I have no idea where I will be working next year. I do very poorly with change and I'm sure I will have a severe melt down the 1st week that I'm no longer there. I have worked there for 14 years and have no idea who will hire me. Has anyone else on the Spectrum had to deal with this type of situation?

I got laid off too in 2011 and I was working there 14 years.

Trust me you get through it.

Go into my early posting history if you want to read all about it.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 4:44 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Now would be a good time to think about where your career is at, if you want to go in another direction etc. And you don't need to feel guilt about taking a day off for interviews or just information seeking.

I found it felt very weird at first to be home after years of routine. but also it was nice to suddenly not have time pressure. But it does get boring after awhile.

Good luck

I have had more time to think about it and it will not be so bad. I'm a skilled worker and I have shown solid performance throughout my 14 years of employment for the company laying me off. I also have a A.A.S In Networking. I have been working a full and part time job for over a year now. This shows that I'm able to work hard and put in as many hours necessary to get a project completed. I'm a very dedicated, loyal, honest employee which is sought after in today's job market. I'm a strong leader and I'm able to lead a department to success. I have a history of being part of the start up of two departments. I will utilize the 60 days of time off to re group and take a much desired break. I like to collect coins and search U.S currency for rarities that are in circulation. I will spend time on projects that I have not been able to complete because I have been working 60 hrs a week for quite sometime. I will not be completely jobless, I still have my part time job.

- Edgar Allan Poe -