Am I the only Aspie out there who belevies in a God?

Page 8 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

SN359
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2021, 8:46 am

I sort of always believed there was 'something' out there but never in a specific God or religion, or a consciousness. I wished I did sometimes though, I think it makes it easier to feel hopeful and just keep going (and sometimes that's all you need).

I may be able to start having more faith however. Nothing in life has ever been easy, mostly Asperger's related as I know now, so I'm sure many of you can relate to the sentiment. The last few years especially have turned my life completely upside down with some quieter periods in between. Since around November 2020 things have been particularly chaotic with some bigger things hitting all in the last 3 months. I got some unpleasant news tonight that hit when I'm still feeling quite raw from something else and I just broke.

I journal sometimes, so I decided it was time for another entry. And for the first time in my life I actually prayed fully intentionally, not doubting that there is something out there but genuinely begging whatever it is to help me feel less pain. And like a click in both my heart and head, the pain numbed, just enough to think more clearly. I'm still raw, but I feel like now I won't fall apart or explode. Like I have established some kind of framework to build a stable base with. That is, I see more clearly that the source of my pain is temporary and that the energy I'm putting into feeling it is not necessary. That I can get better, if I choose to.

I had to write it down to remember how I felt at that exact moment, so if I forget or my mind snaps back into that space, I can find my way back to that understanding. The reason I post this here is because it almost felt like I was being given something, it didn't come from my working it out on its own. Maybe that was 'God' or maybe it was myself, but I understand better now why people have faith. And I think I may start practising it, not subscribing to a specific religion but acknowledging whatever entity it was.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 8:51 am

I never begrudge a person for having "faith."

As long as the person doesn't object to those who don't have "faith."

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Mar 2021, 9:03 am

I consider myself pantheist.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 10:35 pm

I believe in God.I am a Christian.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 8:27 am

It is interesting to note that expressing even a tentative belief in something called “God” can be considered divisive by some and bold by others.

The bible says that even the demons believe in God and tremble (James 2:19). Having faith (trusting) is actually distinct from belief (acknowledging)

Many find in college that they are inculcated with the “religion” of secularism (the worship of man in general and self in particular).

I am a fundamentalist Christian. However, considering the shame that Christians over the centuries and continuing to today have brought on themselves, it is understandable how many would find Christianity repugnant. This contempt is aided by a hostile media partially from their almost universal adoption of the opposing religion of secularism.

In this regard I find Aspergers an advantage in that I think we might have a more natural inclination or even ability to dig into something to see if we can get past the BS. For example, consider the image one has of hell. This often comes to us as almost a cartoon image of a Medieval painting. When investigated, looking at the meaning of the Greek word aion, one does not find support for the idea of eternal conscious torment.

I think one would find with those with Aspergers the same distribution of people as in the population in general. There are those who are either born into a religious tradition and continue with generational inertia or those seeking to discover truth.

I was in the first group and after finding problems with what I was presented, moved into the second group. (for anyone one a similar path this web site might be helpful http://christianpioneer.com/ )

I suspect that most people (either NT or Aspie) would belong to the much larger group of people who do not care. A smaller, but still fairly large group would be those who are somewhat curious as to what may exist.

indyellisd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2022, 5:46 pm

First Post...
Yes - I believe there is a God.

Last edited by indyellisd on 05 Feb 2022, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 6:15 pm

I suspect most Aspies believe in some high form of power whether it be god, spirits or aliens.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 7:52 pm

The OP is clearly not the only Aspie out there who believes in a god. A poll would have been good.

I don't. I don't even think there's any sentient higher power, no cosmic plan, and I don't think we have immortal souls. No afterlife, no heaven or hell of that literal kind, just out like a candle when we die. I don't think "spiritual" means anything except metaphorically. I think emotion and art exist though. And I don't mind people believing in the existence of things that I don't think exist, as long as they don't try to impose it on others. And I think sometimes it's better to wrongly believe something, if the truth would be too painful, though I don't suppose that can be done deliberately or consciously.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 10:58 pm

I will call myself an atheist sometimes but I mean that as a rejection of concepts of gods created by man. I also call myself a Spinoza atheist which is a pantheist. I don't totally reject a spiritual nature of the universe since we don't even understand what life really is.

Organized religion is of course a social institution. Many of us are alienated from religion, just as we are alienated from society.

Carpeta
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 11:17 pm

I am a Christian, and I can easily think of many other autistic-seeming Christians that I know.

RAADS-R: 122.0

Not a doctor.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2022, 1:28 am

There is quite a lot of space between atheist and believer in God.

I'm some sort of spiritual atheist. Based on Buddhist understanding, but I think I've moved beyond there being any kind of afterlife. The Buddhist idea of karma, I think, is most likely the perception of epigenetic effects carrying over the generations.

Autism is My Superpower
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Location: Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States of America

07 Feb 2022, 5:30 pm

I believe in a higher power.

MBTI - Borderline INTP-A/INTJ-A - AQ - 45 - EQ - 13 - SQ - 84 - RAADS-R - 185 - Aspie Quiz Pre-Diagnosis(AS:128/NT:80) Post-Diagnosis(AS:159/NT:47) - CAT-Q - 112 - RBQ-2A - 41 - TFIS - 28 - FQ - 36 - Sensory Perception Quotient - 48 - Toronto Empathy Quotient - 37
Some awesome, little known autistic YouTubers: Autastic Tom, Aspie with Attitude, Asperger's Syndrome

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 6:08 pm

Agnostic. I see no reason to put one belief system before any other.
If I have to chose I'd say atheist since it makes more sense to me than the alternatives.

/Mats

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2022, 7:29 pm

SpirosD wrote:
I absolutely don't believe in god or the idea of an imaginary friend that created it all, sees it all and knows it all. Makes not sense at all, especially the belief that everything was created 5000 years ago.
But I wonder and ask, what about all the other religions out there who are constructed on an entire different system, like Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Shintoism and more (around 2 billion people). Are they wrong about their faith, because they don't have a concept of god. So are their wrong in their faith? And maybe they think that the 3 big ones with their unique god is wrong?
That just to say, god makes no sense.
Just my own opinion.

Something that I have picked up on is that Christianity is supposed to be a more personal relationship to God. I think the other religions mentioned have a God but it is not a personal God.

If you listen to the words it mentions this often. My logic says that someone that is Christian believes in a personal God. One that walks with them and talks to them. I only mention it because it seems to be something obvious that people don't realize.

I don't intend to school anyone. It just seems like a way to put it in a category that I find interesting. I have not won anyone other to using the category. I don't take credit for coming up with it. Most people other than myself apparently think it is useless. It apparently has not gained much traction which is crazy when you actually listen to the words.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2022, 11:57 pm

Polytheist and Animist.

Slailie01
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2022, 7:36 am

I am wiccan . Probably the only wiccan on this website . I believe in multiple goddesses and gods as archentypes of the primal God and Goddess . That which make up the " Spirit" or the all knowing energy we might call God . I however since 2009 have not been a active Christian and even went down the satanic path for awhile but landed in the goddesses arms in Wicca . Since then I even found my soulmate ( NT man ) who is also wiccan. I feel religious beliefs are subjective to the person believing in them . For example my mother is Christian I am a wiccan she doesn't believe in my goddess existing but she bought me a goddess pendant for Yule one year from a pagan shop . I love it and wear it to this day . Just as I respect her Christmas and help decorate and make the Christmas dinner . We don't actively pray at table or read Bible in front of each other just as I keep my rituals to my own room , my parents do however recognize some of the major pagan holidays like summer solstice and winter solstice spring equinox and fall equinox and often tell me happy holidays .