Anyone Know Of Good Noise Blocking Headphones?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

HateSongForBrains
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Nov 2014, 10:57 pm

I am looking for a pair of headphones that I can put on and will block noise, that can also play music. I want them to function like normal noise blocking earmuffs like a lot of autistic kids have, but I also want them to have the ability to play music. Does anyone know of any headphones that will work like this?

Arlo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

HateSongForBrains
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Nov 2014, 11:21 pm

Arlo wrote:
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/noise_cancelling_headphones/index.jsp&perfsourceid=K3073427&src=K3073427

Thanks, but I'm not looking for noise cancelling headphones, those are a lot different than what I'm looking for. But again thank you anyways.

Arlo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2014, 11:30 pm

No problem. I hope you find what you're looking for.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 11:54 pm

Funny that you brought this up. I am looking for the same thing. I have tried in-ear earphones. I had one pair a long time ago that was good but I don't remember what brand. After that every brand I've tried fits badly, they all fall out of my ears.

So I've been thinking about using headphones instead. I'm primarily going to use them on buses and trains to block out the background noise. Earphones are better when it's cold because you can have a cap on top of them, which you can't with headphones, but maybe it's worth it because in-ear earphones keep falling out of my ears.

I have been thinking about trying hearing protectors for mp3 like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-103 ... B004U4A5RU

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vic_firth_sih1_kopfhoerer.htm

Sure, you might get a few looks, but whatever.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 1:55 am

Let me get this straight. You want to listen to music not on noise cancelling headphones but on noise blocking headphones, right? You simply want to seal out ambient noise instead of blocking it electronically, right?

If that's so than do want big ones (headphones) or small ones (earbuds)? If you want small ones you should get canal phones. If you want big ones than I'd usually recommend the Sennheiser HD 449. It's affordable, has good sound quality and blocks out ambient noise (you can still hear loud sounds though).

You might also like the Sony MDR-ZX310AP. They're folding headphones so it's like having big headphones yet you can keep them in your pocket. They're very light weight and if you plug them into your phone you can take calls on them.

Anything like those will do for over the ear headphones so long as they have a sealed back. Some people prefer the sound of open back headphones (more base) but those ones have no passive noise blocking ability at all.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 3:00 am

If you have high frequency hearing. active noise canceling headphones like the Bose can be problematic because the noise canceling technology used can generate HF tones that can drive a person with HF hearing(like me) crazy. Noise blocking headphone (like tomato linked to) are a much better choice. Another thing to try is a set of ear buds call "In ear monitors" or IEM's. there not cheap ( around $50~$150), but the sound quality is very good and they do a very, very good job of blocking outside noise. IEM's are sold at music or pro audio stores.

SickPuppy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2014, 5:48 am

Look in to the Shure SE Series earbuds, they are sound isolating, they come with many different ear pieces, I found the foam ones to work well, you squeeze them and put them in to your ear and they form to the inside of your ear as the foam expands back, blocking out a lot of sound naturally, had a pair of the higher end ones and loved them, the wiring eventually went bad a few years later, saw the newer ones have replaceable cables the last time I checked though, these are some of the best you could possibly buy, the only thing better would be ones that you had custom fit for your ears.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 5:28 pm

I don't know it this would work, but you could maybe try wearing earbuds with earmuffs over them. The earbud cords would cause the earmuffs seal around your ears to me not as tight as they ordinarily would be. Obviously it wouldn't be ideal, but it could work, especially for any low tech oriented folks out there :wink:

HateSongForBrains
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Nov 2014, 12:41 am

Ah thank you everyone! I will look into some of your suggestions!

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 2:16 am

What I do when my ears get too sensitive (they do at various points of the day), I will put in a standard pair of earplugs then put my noise cancelling headphones on. It helps to really drown out the noise, except with my tinnitus all I hear is ringing in my ears.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 8:00 am

I use Skull candies, which aren't too expensive. Sadly, my last pair broke, and I ended up getting some beats earphones. They are both really good at noise blocking, but it also depends on how much noise block you want too. I don't really expect a lot from them as long as they help me focus. Beats Earphones will cost over 100 dollars, but skull candies are around fifty dollars. For me, each pair has been worth their money with noise blocking. My mom has a pair of boise earphones that are even better than mine though.

It really depends on your price range. If you want good noise-blocking headphones, you might end up paying over forty to fifty dollars for them...

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2014, 9:18 am

An old BF and I were into "tinkering" and what he gave me was a pair of gun muffs (like for using at a shooting range) with the center foam removed and headphone speakers put in it's place. You might need a little electrical tape to get the speakers to stay put. They were Wonderful!! ! I will be making another pair as soon as I can afford to.
I hope this helps.