How do you feel about people touching you?

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 5:28 pm

Title self-explanatory. Do you like it/ not like it? Do you like it, with some forewarning? If you don't like it at all, why not?

As for myself, I like it but only with lots of forewarning and only from people that I am extremely comfortable with. It is not because I have any sensory processing when it comes to being touched but only because I don't trust most people-- if you are close enough to touch me, you're close enough to hurt me. Plus, being touched without warning startles me which makes me very cranky indeed.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 5:45 pm

I don't mind if my parents do, like giving me a hug, holding me or patting me on the back.

With strangers, I don't like people touching me at all. The only exception would be if I had a girlfriend, then I would fine with it, though it would take awhile to get used to that.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 5:46 pm

If I know it's going to happen, I don't care. For example, if someone wanted a hug... I'll be glad to hug them. However, if they came up to me and just hugged me without warning, even just brushing against me, I get a little freaked out. I don't like lash out at the person. I just scream or yell and pull away from them. I have to know it's going to happen before I can allow the person to do it.

unit_00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2014, 5:51 pm

hate it :ncool: only from my aunt it's ok, because she's known me my whole life and the only person i feel safe with. she lives in a different state though. makes me wonder if i ever got close (reeeeeeal close) to somebody if i would be ok with them touching me too? but so far my aunt is the exception to the rule.

do people ever forewarn you if they are going to? in my experience it's kind of a spontaneous thing people do (or seems like it to me). being touched makes me very very uncomfortable. like alarm signals going off in my head saying 'WRONG!!". sorry not sure how to explain it. feels nasty. even if it's an accidental brush. but if it's an accident i won't get upset with the person.

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 5:55 pm

Ok. I feel like I always have this bubble around me- I always know where people are, in relation to me. So when people accidentally brush me, it is not because I am not paying attention. I have probably used my best effort to stay far enough away that they won't touch me. So by the time they touch me, I am probably going to become agitated and possibly bitchy. I just don't understand how someone can be so unaware of their body and proximity to others. I have a well-defined bubble and expect it to be respected. The only time I allow you in the bubble is if you are boyfriend/family/very very very close friend.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 6:19 pm

I hate light/soft touch, it feels strange. I don't mind hugging as long as it is expected and I agree with it.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 7:06 pm

NOPE. exceptions are...if i instigate or you clearly make a showing that a hug or a touch is going to happen--then you give me the choice of saying yes or no.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 7:10 pm

I don't like people touching me or getting to close to me in fact two days ago somebody got really close to my face to talk with me and the person put his arm around my shoulder which made me feel uncomfortable

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 7:14 pm

I always feel uncomfortable about being touched. I don't make a scene or anything -- I just accept it and hope it is over soon.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 7:37 pm

I?m fine with touch from people I?m close to, but contact from a stranger and unexpected contact are uncomfortable. I?m unable to hide my reaction, sometimes it?s really obvious because I jump if startled, I don?t like it because I either don?t know the person and/or I didn?t invite them to make physical contact. Like you, I move around the people that come into my space bubble.

DeuceKaboose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2014, 7:39 pm

As long as I know the person im pretty much fine, but with random people it spooks me a bit

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 7:40 pm

not an issue for me. never think about it.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 8:10 pm

nyxjord wrote:
As for myself, I like it but only with lots of forewarning and only from people that I am extremely comfortable with. It is not because I have any sensory processing when it comes to being touched but only because I don't trust most people-- if you are close enough to touch me, you're close enough to hurt me. Plus, being touched without warning startles me which makes me very cranky indeed.

Same as you said.

HamtaroCappy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2014, 8:19 pm

When my family touches me, I'm fine. When it's someone else, I can't stand it. The same goes for people trying to touch my stuff.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 9:23 pm

^ same, family - immediate family - as in my offspring only - is okay but I'd definitely prefer warning. Other than family: no. I fired a realtor who patted my shoulder. When I was young I'd go sort of ballistic if someone touched me without warning or permission.

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 10:00 pm

I like hugs. In my mind I was wishing I could get a hug from some Anna's and Elsa's on Halloween. Of course that would most likely require being able to communicate and not being awkward. Oh well... :(