Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

superpentil
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2014, 6:12 am

No! Don't use Java! That language is disgusting. C based languages are the best. They're cleaner, faster, run on anything these days, offer lots of power, and are just plain beautiful. They are much more difficult to master, but in the end it will be worth it. I'd start with C, then move on to C++. All the skills you learn from these two will transfer to others pretty easily. Python is best for Scientific and Mathematical applications (like Fortran). PHP is kinda the backbone of the web (right after C).

From another source:
In terms of power and flexibility, C will allow you to, if you're not careful, blow off all your appendages in spectacular fire and then cause your skin and insides to melt. However, when used correctly, it will allow you to make the world have dancing unicorns and flying carpets with golden tassels and sparkly pop-tart kittens flying throughout the night singing. And more.

Java on the other hand protects you from blowing your arms and legs off by basically cutting them off and giving you a wheelchair. It's a lot safer, but much more boring.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 37 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2014, 6:43 am

I don't believe there is anything disgusting about Java.

For my own work I ended up using mostly Fortran and plain C, but that does not disqualify Java as a bonafide language. I just happen to be active in an application domain for which Java is not particularly suited.

I maintain that there is nothing wrong with learning Java as a first language.