Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Rolzup
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2014, 9:33 am

I am setting up a storytime at the public library branch where I work, and it is going to be meant for ASD kids. Both of my boys are on the spectrum, and while there are still some supplies that I need to obtain I do feel that I know what I'm getting into. I could use some advice, though, on how best I can reach out to parents.

Talking to my wife about this last night, she remember how reluctant -- terrified, actually, was the word she used -- to bring our Eldest to public events. She was afraid of him....

[*] Running off.

[*] Getting into a fight with another child over a toy.

[*] Breaking something -- and this did in fact happen, with my son and a library computer.

[*] A Well-meaning librarian interfering when she was dealing with a meltdown.

[*] Being judged by other parents, because (to all appearances) her child was constantly misbehaving.

These are all things that I can deal with -- storytime will be in a small area, with one exit, and nothing that the kids CAN'T play with will be accessible. I'll have a small stock of toys that they can mess with during the program (my boys have largely outgrown their Thomas trains, for example), I know what NOT to do, and I think that if all the kids are on the spectrum, the judginess should not be a problem.

And honestly, I feel that what I'M doing is going to be secondary to the kids and a parents getting a chance to meet and know that they aren't alone. I know from my own experiences that there aren't many such opportunities in this area; we searched in vain four years ago.

But these are all common fears. A brief discussion with an Early Intervention casework confirmed as much, with her flat-out telling me that a lot of the parents that she deals with are unwilling to take the chance. And I'm trying to figure out a way to address this on the flyer that I'm going to create, something to convey that this will be (as much as possible) a worry-free zone. If your child wanders, if your child pays no attention, if your child yells? It's fine. I can handle that, and we can work with it. I'm just sire how to word this.

Any suggestions? Or thoughts on this endeavor?

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 9:54 am

I think it's absolutely wonderful that you're doing this.

You could say something like "a safe time for ASD kids to be themselves" or "a sensory-friendly, judgement-free activity".

You might also want to consider dimming the lights or bringing in a halogen lamp if your library has fluorescent lighting.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 12:49 pm

I agree with YippySkippy. Also, I would mention explicitly that parents are welcome to stay, b/c a parent might have concerns that the child might be "too much" especially with multiple kids, and some may be used to an aide.

(Some library programs are of the drop-off type, and may feel ttheir child cannot handle this for a variety of reasons. If you want the parent to stay for sure, then I would state something clearly so parents do not just drop off the kid, if that is not what you are set up for.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 5:23 pm

I think that's great idea. What you wrote here convinced me. The only thing I'd add is maybe specify what age you're okay with. If your flyer said what you've written here, I'd think "wow, that's fantastic" but not go due to the ages and sizes of my kids. But I know other parents of older kids who would take their big kids anyway. So to make sure you have the right people coming and everyone who wants to come coming, specifying age would be good.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 5:42 pm

Maybe also list all the accommodations you are making? Are you able to get a private conference room for this event and set it up the way you want beforehand? Lots of libraries offer them, I think parents who worry about kids who "run off" might feel better in a room with a door.

Also, I'd set it up as an RSVP and limit it to a certain number of kids - one thing that might be stopping parents is the idea of having all the kids on the spectrum from the district show up at once.