Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 2:27 pm

I am diagnosed HFA but it has been said I'm nearer moderate functioning than high functioning.

Can you share your own description of what that means.

I am diagnosed HFA because of my very high IQ. The other parts of me aren't high functioning apparently.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 5:25 pm

this page may be helpful in describing it-
http://autism.lovetoknow.com/Different_Levels_of_Autism

CloverDiamond5
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2014, 7:27 pm

I think in your case the diagnosis is most likely accurate; but people who you deal with daily may have a different psychological viewpoint. It is said that savants (who may or may not be on the spectrum) excel in one area while being deficient in many/most others.
For myself, some say I'm "smart" when doing some activities but not so smart in others. (I could take an IQ Test.)
You could keep researching your concern or find out areas where you are more "moderate-functioning."

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 7:31 pm

I'm moderate-functioning. One reason is supports for adults with Asperger's is too high-functioning for me. I seem to fit between mild and moderate HFA? Was diagnosed originally with "Asperger's syndrome -a form of autism". March 2014 updated to ASD Level 1.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 10:08 pm

I have no idea where I would fit in. I am dx'd with Aspergers, but I have considerable issues with sensitivities, meltdowns and interacting with other people.
I am probably high functioning but with some moderate overlap.

Ps - Good to see someone familiar is still here and posting.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 10:12 pm

on the high end of moderate functioning.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 10:16 pm

I am currently diagnosed as level 2 although don't know that means anything.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 10:23 pm

I was originally diagnosed low functioning abut am now moderate.
I'm not intellectually disabled, but I have cognitive impairments.
I don't need constant assistance with everyday things, but I do require daily assistance.
I can't be left alone, it's required that someone to always with me. But I don't have to be watched all the time.
I communicate really good in forums, but really poorly in real life.
I do okay in certain areas academically, and am significantly behind in others.
Also I'm ASD level 2, which puts me in the middle I guess.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 12:00 am

Since my parents were desperate to get me diagnosed as a kid. They exaggerated my traits like crazy. Based on the way my parents described me they thought I was "moderate to severe". When they actually met me in person they changed my label to mild. When I was twelve I visited a psychiatrist who thought I had bipolar disorder instead of autism. A few other doctors and psychiatrists doubted my diagnosis as well. I don't really think I'm truly autistic. I think I just have ADHD and OCD with a bit of autistic traits.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 8:09 am

Thanks everyone.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 5:41 pm

prego :)

FautheralLoather
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Nov 2014, 4:49 pm

I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS which lied on the mild-moderate side of the spectrum. It has given me a lot of problems, despite of people not generally alloing me to think.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 5:36 pm

EzraS wrote:
I don't need constant assistance with everyday things, but I do require daily assistance.
I can't be left alone, it's required that someone to always with me. But I don't have to be watched all the time.

This is usually the same for me. I can't be left alone in places like hospitals or stuff like that. However, it depends on the situation. Most times, I have no problem waiting outside for my dad when he is at the VA for a doctor's appointment or something. I can also wander around on my own in a grocery store or Walmart as well. I can also be left alone at home as well. I'm not sure how it was when I was younger though.

As for me, I have a number of varying developmental and learning delays. That's the huge issue for me there. I can't take are of myself as far as paying bills, cooking and cleaning go. I'm very disorganized, and it's so bad that I just can't seem to keep my room or anything clean. I can communicate rather well, but when it comes to verbal thorough explanations, I have to rely on my iPad to explain what I want to say to others.

I think I was worse growing up. My mom told me that she could tell me to go brush my teeth. I'd go in the bathroom and instantly forget what I was told to do. I would just stand there all dumb-like. It's gotten a bit better for me over time, but there are moments I've had where I've been told to do something, and I just stand there staring at the person like "wtf". I don't think I'm moderate on the autistic scale, but I am moderate on a general disability kind of scale.

DevilKisses wrote:
Since my parents were desperate to get me diagnosed as a kid. They exaggerated my traits like crazy. Based on the way my parents described me they thought I was "moderate to severe". When they actually met me in person they changed my label to mild. When I was twelve I visited a psychiatrist who thought I had bipolar disorder instead of autism. A few other doctors and psychiatrists doubted my diagnosis as well. I don't really think I'm truly autistic. I think I just have ADHD and OCD with a bit of autistic traits.

Sounds a lot like me. My parents pushed and pushed until I got diagnosed with autism. They said it would help me get better services later in life as well. First, I was diagnosed with ADHD and a learning disability though. I do have a few autistic traits, but there are times when I wonder if I really am autistic. I see so many people who have more autistic traits than I do, and it makes me think that maybe it's just an excuse to get me better services. However, I do notice that I have more autistic traits than what I realize.

I've taken though aspie quiz before and other autism quizzes. They all came back saying I had autism, but I'm not sure if I was going a bit far with those things or not. It's really hard to say. I know as a child, I had language delays. I've tried asking my parents about how I was a child, but they don't have much to tell me though. D:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 9:32 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:
EzraS wrote:

This is usually the same for me. I can't be left alone in places like hospitals or stuff like that. However, it depends on the situation. Most times, I have no problem waiting outside for my dad when he is at the VA for a doctor's appointment or something. I can also wander around on my own in a grocery store or Walmart as well. I can also be left alone at home as well. I'm not sure how it was when I was younger though.

Well what I meant is I can't be left alone because it would be considered neglect and abandonment. It's required that I have constant supervision outside of the house....basically the same as if I was three years old.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 1:25 am

auntblabby wrote:
this page may be helpful in describing it-
http://autism.lovetoknow.com/Different_Levels_of_Autism

Just to underline what's already been said (statement below taken from the link)

Don't Get Caught Up in the Diagnosis
Whether you or your child has been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, it's important to remember not to get too caught up in the diagnosis. Although there are several different levels of autism, where a person falls on this spectrum can change significantly over the course of a lifetime. The person's functioning level is only a statement about how he or she is performing at this moment in time.

TheSperg
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2014, 1:44 am

EzraS wrote:
LokiofSassgard wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Well what I meant is I can't be left alone because it would be considered neglect and abandonment. It's required that I have constant supervision outside of the house....basically the same as if I was three years old.

Even if you don't need it? :? That sounds wrong somehow.