Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2016, 6:53 pm

^^^that reminds me of corned beef hash :chef:

The one they call... Tim
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2016, 11:52 am

Yes. I have had many people comment on eating one thing at a time, as if it were any of their business.
Always from least favorite to most favorite. I don't particularly care if one thing touches another, unless it is a particularly bad combination, but my aspie wife definitely does. In fact, sometimes the mixtures at the fringes are extra good, though that doesn't make me want to mix everything.

In some ways I am very organized, and in other ways, astoundingly disorganized. I think I do this because it happens to fall into the organized group. Eating things not in a specific order just seems messy. I am also a firm believer in worst-first, best-last whenever possible. It's just logical.

Another odd place this food-based organization shows up is that I find uneven edges abhorrent. If I am cutting a piece from a pan of brownies, I will continue to shave off small wedges until I get the remaining cut edge perfectly perpendicular to the planes of the pan. I would rather cut a long narrow piece all the way across the pan, keeping the remaining edge even, than a more socially acceptably proportioned rectangular piece, leaving an uneven cut edge in the pan.
If I am dishing up ice cream, I will continue to shave off bits until I get the remaining surface polished and perfectly smooth and flat.
This tendency has the added benefit of producing quite a lot of trimmings/shavings, and there's no better place to put those than down the ol' hatch!

It's a compulsion, but I can control it. I could quit at any time, if I wanted to. :roll:

greenylynx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2016, 1:19 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^that reminds me of corned beef hash :chef:

I'd forgotten all about beef hash! The few times I've had it I mixed my eggs in with it as well. :mrgreen: Funny thing is I can't stand eggs on their own, I usually just absolutely drown them in something like salsa.

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2016, 1:28 pm

Sethno wrote:
Does anyone know if NTs do the "eat one food at a time" thing?

Almost everyone who was in my Food Eating Course was a Neuraltypical...

That's about as much as I can say on that subject, as whenever I eat with Neuraltypicals I'm always concentrated on their facial expressions and body language. :|

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

alieneuro
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2016, 5:45 pm

My food can't touch each other on the plate - although I don't eat them one by one.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 5:46 pm

hiya Alieneuro :) welcome to the club 8)

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 11:20 pm

I used to eat my least favorite food first and save the best for last.
Unfortunately, this was in addition to eating ALL of each thing as I went along. What happens if you are full before you get to your favorite food? You keep eating anyway. Or at least I did.
Not only that, but I always ate extremely fast. This is definitely anxiety-related, though I do not know what it is about eating that made me anxious.
But, all together, I learned how to overeat very fast. I have had to train myself to eat more properly. Learning to move about from food to food was a big part of this. I learned to taste each thing and then decide which things I wanted to finish. Now I try to finish what I like best first so I can have it before I am full. This helps me to be able to stop eating when I am full because what is left on my plate is not the best.

I also drank way too much liquid when I ate. It was compulsive. I don't even know why I did so, except I know it was an anxious habit. This contributed a *tremendous* amount of calories if I was drinking something other than water. It also caused stomach distortion which can affect one's normal feeling of fullness.

My eating habits were really bad. I am not VERY overweight, but I have had to overcome a lot of problematic eating habits. Problems with weight are sometimes not about *what* you eat, but *how* you eat.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 11:49 pm

Whenever people can punish you by publicly labelling you as a weirdo, they'll make anything you do that stands out their business. They won't give a s**t whether you have a reason to do it. To them, the first and foremost reason to do or not to do anything must be to conform to what's expected of you, unless you want to start a fight by doing the unexpected as a provocation. Any other goal must be given up on if it conflicts with this supreme duty, no matter the consequences. It wouldn't be fair in their eyes to let you off the hook.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

TechnicallyCalm
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Feb 2016, 11:59 pm

I also have preferences about the order in which I eat things. Also, there are certain foods that I will not eat together. For example, I will never have a glass of milk while eating an apple - one of the grossest tastes I have ever tasted.

I am extremely picky about cold cereal - I will only eat cereal that doesn't get soggy (and that's not too many types.)

I think those are probably normal feelings. You have probably got to have a weird taste to want soggy cereal. And you probably just don't like the taste of apples and milk. I probably wouldn't either. But I like apples with ketchup, carrots too, especially carrots.

greenylynx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2016, 12:04 am

TechnicallyCalm wrote:
I also have preferences about the order in which I eat things. Also, there are certain foods that I will not eat together. For example, I will never have a glass of milk while eating an apple - one of the grossest tastes I have ever tasted.

I am extremely picky about cold cereal - I will only eat cereal that doesn't get soggy (and that's not too many types.)

I think those are probably normal feelings. You have probably got to have a weird taste to want soggy cereal. And you probably just don't like the taste of apples and milk. I probably wouldn't either. But I like apples with ketchup, carrots too, especially carrots.

I personally love ketchup on mashed potatoes or mac n cheese.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 12:30 am

I like mixing ketchup with onion powder, yum yum :chef:

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 8:06 pm

TechnicallyCalm wrote:

Most people I know have no problems with most cereal. I am different in this case. It is a texture thing. I will eat some cereals dry that I would never put in a bowl with milk because by the second spoonful they are too mushy. This is what I am getting at.

There are very few cereals that pass the "mush factor test". Yes, it is a personal preference, but I will not eat if my only option is a cereal that does not pass. I can't *get past* the texture problem. But, I can make choices that match up with my "preferences." As an adult, I can choose not to buy those mushy types of cereal. As a person who is not starving, I can go without eating a meal by choice.

Do I/have I had issues with eating food? Absolutely, yes. Yes. Yes.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 8:23 pm

Yup, that's me. I eat one food thing at a time. Usually because I only make one thing at a time. :) I can't stand tasting two different things at once.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 9:29 pm

So many foods are already mixes of things (Think soups for one) that the mixing is not a problem for me. It's taste and texture combos.

I cannot eat certain things though, even if it makes sense.

I grew up on peanut butter and banana sandwiches. A friend of the family used to take the peanut butter and bananas and make a blended mix in the blender. Could not do it. Texture was all wrong. REally have a problem with 'mush' except for mashed potatoes. But, I will put pickles on the peanut butter because I like the sour and sweet combo. Peanut butter must be crunchy to match the pickles crunch.

Crunch is one of my big texture favorites.

Can't eat fish unless it's fried or backed and has some stiffness. Wife likes it boiled. blecccchhhhh.....she swears I won't eat fish.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 9:40 pm

I do this sometimes. I usually try to eat up the food I don't really like at the beginning so I can enjoy the food I do like more. But I alternate between foods, too.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 9:44 pm

olympiadis wrote:
If you have a plate with multiple different food items on it, do you eat one item at a time before moving to the next?

I did this up until I was a teenager.
Sure NTs could have developed a similar habit, but my experience was that it stood out to everyone who saw me eat, and they had never seen such a thing before.
I eventually broke myself of it for the most part in order to avoid the attention of people noticing.

Now I have no problem mixing foods, or eating bits of each item alternately.

I got attention for the opposite. One time anyway. A friend in eighth grade said that I "hunt and peck" my lunch plate at each item. Veggie here, meat there, then the carb, the back again. Its the only to way to fly.