Has anyone the diagnosis of NVLD without AS(D)/PDD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 2:47 pm

It is interesting how many people with such a diagnosis are here. Why they got the diagnosis of NLD without ASD or PDD? What is the level of functioning of these people? How much social and emotional problems they have?

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 2:57 pm

I don't know if she has NLD, but I had a counselor who has a visual spatial disability. She didn't seem to have any problems with social skills, she only had problems with directions.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2014, 3:07 pm

I have NVLD. I was diagnosed as a child for sure, but I don't know and understand what it means? I have a hard time processing info, and a bunch of glitches

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 3:26 am

NVLD, NLD - nonverbal learning disorder, nonverbal learning disability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonverbal_ ... g_disorder

It is for me a complex developmental disability (not only specific/learning disorder) when it cause problematic developmental dyssemia (marked problems in nonverbal communication) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyssemia.

People with this disability may misunderstand non-verbal communications, or they may understand the communications but be unable to formulate an appropriate response. This can make establishing and maintaining social contacts difficult. Eye contact can also be difficult for people with NLD, either because they are uncomfortable with maintaining it or because they do not remember that others expect it. Similarly, knowing when and how to use physical contact and recognizing emotions in others and expressing them for oneself can be problematic.

It is autistic trait! http://www.aspergers.com/aspcrit.html:

marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction

I think that it ("NVLD" - name should be changed because it is misleading) should be classified as a "complex"/pervasive developmental disorder" (PDD definition in ICD-10 is too strict now) due to its complexity and "pervasiveness". Main argument for it is the presence of social communication problems in many individuals with "NLD". It has also visual-spatial and motoric impairments.

I may have mild NVLD, also have marked dyssemia. I think that nonverbal communiction impairment is a serious problem.

Somebody may have dyssemia but not "special" interests or (and) strange routines/rituals. My "interests" were once named as "manias", I had also various strange customs/rituals/routines/obsessions, I was told once that I had "bookish case of OCD" wen I was 17. I have also "idiosyncratic" social needs. I have not only social ineptitude, but also obsessiveness. I got AS diagnosis quite easily, it describes me better than "learning disability" diagnosis - I wrote my Math exam at the end of secondary school perfectly (100%), I really like maps, have an engineer title despite the dominance of verbal thinking in my mind.

I do not know what is my VIQ and PIQ, but I may have even VIQ below 130. Even gifted NLDers rather have large problems with mathematical abilities, visual information. Dyssemia is my strongest "NVLDish" trait, my visual-spatial-motor issues are relatively mild - dyssemia is the worst, it is also present in ASD. When I was a child I ad really poor eye contact, I rather did not tink about looking at the eyes or even face... I think that I have some organizational and planning issues, but I do not think that they are NVLD, they may be caused by obsessiveness of my mentality, some AS symptoms, AD(H)D (but I do not think that I have ADD or ADHD). I think that I may have SCT or CDD (sluggish cognitive tempo or concentration deficit disorder), which makes me prone to daydreaming, "spacey", somewhat "drowsy" and sluggish - this condition additionally worsens my social and executive functioning. My "special" interests were even not so "gifted-like", I do not like IT so much or fiction literature, my interests were often somewhat "not so practical", "childish".

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 3:35 am

I think that NLD without AS is the true NLD, it just visual-spatial-motor disorder without "general neuraotypicality" (GN), which causes also "characteristic" social, emotional, behavioral anomalies.

NVLD (hyperverbalism) is often a sign of GN. People with GN are "odd", "inept", may be easily considered "weirdos", "stupid ones" etc. GN is for me a counterpart of the term "pervasive developmental disorder" (PDD). GN may be named as "pervasive developmental difference" (PDD also) - it can have also some benefits, such as good memory, good verbal or nonverbal thinking abilities, insensivity to some negative influences from environment which are problematic for "NTs". Social, emotional, behavioral anomalies are most characteristic symptoms of GN. Many people wth NLD diagnosis appear to have "pervasive developmental difference", not just a learning disorder. It is a problem that such a misnaming exists.