The Hobbit: The Battle of five Armies trailer.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 9:44 am

The trailer for the third and final Hobbit movie is out. Apparently, this is the last film adaptation that's set in Middle Earth because nobody has the film rights to Tolkien's other stories. It screens only in a month's time on 17 December. Here's the trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVAgTiBrrDA[/youtube]

Is anyone planning on seeing it?

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm

1. It looks amazing, I have been wanting to see it for quite some time now. 8)
2. Can we please see this in a theme park, preferably in America and not have to travel to New Zealand to see the Shire.
3. I have seen for a while why Christopher Tolkien doesn't want Peter or anyone else to touch the Silmarillion. Peter has altered the story in Lord of the Rings and a lot more so with the Hobbit.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 9:34 am

AntDog wrote:
1. It looks amazing, I have been wanting to see it for quite some time now. 8)
2. Can we please see this in a theme park, preferably in America and not have to travel to New Zealand to see the Shire.
3. I have seen for a while why Christopher Tolkien doesn't want Peter or anyone else to touch the Silmarillion. Peter has altered the story in Lord of the Rings and a lot more so with the Hobbit.

I was waiting to see it for a while as well. Unfortunately, I don't think that the Tolkien Estate will allow that and under the original deal, they don't have the rights to build a theme park based on Lord of the Rings. They only have the rights to sell some merchandise and games based on the success of the movies and the Tolkien Estate has recently initiated a few lawsuits against Warner Brothers for going further than that in their commercial exploitation. I think that Peter Jackson changed stuff that was necessary in order to adapt the books into films as well as made use extra source materials from the appendices of Lord of the Rings for his film adaptations. Even Christopher Tolkien said that he thought that Lord of the Rings was "peculiarly unsuited" to film adaptation, so I think that Peter Jackson did was necessary to adapt it to that medium. I do like the movies though and unlike "The Hobbit" films, I thought that the original LoTR film trilogy was remarkably faithful to books under the circumstances. Not that I don't like "The Hobbit" films, I like those too and think that they're amazing.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 11:58 am

I generally liked the films but I think they changed too much for no reason. It's not so much what they left out, but what they made up themselves. Elves at Helm's Deep, Arwen stopping the Nazgul instead of just having Frodo face them alone, green ghosts going all the way to the Pelennor Fields, moving mountains that fight each other (????). In the Hobbit movies it was also unclear why the War of the Dwarves and Orcs took place. In the books, the beheading of Thror was the reason for the war. In the films he is beheaded during the war, so where is the casus belli?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 8:20 pm

trollcatman wrote:
I generally liked the films but I think they changed too much for no reason. It's not so much what they left out, but what they made up themselves. Elves at Helm's Deep, Arwen stopping the Nazgul instead of just having Frodo face them alone, green ghosts going all the way to the Pelennor Fields, moving mountains that fight each other (????). In the Hobbit movies it was also unclear why the War of the Dwarves and Orcs took place. In the books, the beheading of Thror was the reason for the war. In the films he is beheaded during the war, so where is the casus belli?

Well, I think that the changes from the books in the Lord of the Rings movies were minimal. The film in the original trilogy that deviated the most from the book was The Two Towers. Otherwise, the rest of the films were pretty faithful. I do agree that Jackson changed a lot in "The Hobbit" movies though.

A few more things. Frodo actually did not face the Nazgul alone in the book because in the book, it was actually an elf called Glorfindel who tried rode the horse trying to escape them. In Peter Jackson's adaptation, he basically used Arwen to replace Glorfindel in that scene. Also, I believe that the stone giants actually were in the original "The Hobbit" book, it's just that many Tolkien fans speculated that they were made up by Bilbo as an embellishment of the story because giants don't seem to play huge role in Middle Earth if you look at the backstory. They aren't mentioned in The Silmarillion for example.