Asperger's and sports; Athletic aspies?

Page 5 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2023, 1:15 pm

I am/was athletic. I never know how to phrase that. I'm athletic to the best of my ability. Since I got long covid, my exercise game is far from on point, but I manage the best I can. Before that I would run several miles a few times a week, work out five days a week, and have taken martial arts before. I feel best when I'm physically active. It does wonders for both my body and mind. Never have been much into sports though. It's not that I'm bad at them, I just lack competitive drive and all.

Missmagoo
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Sep 2023, 8:48 am

As a kid I was super clumsy and ashamed of my body. The only things I liked were skating and riding a bike. Later it was better and even enjoyed some handball and athletics. Volleyball was my main nightmare in high school. Even today the words volleyball and beach volley make me sick in the stomach. Then came the gym, just to be fit. I am a terrible dancer. I lack coordination. I have problem distinguishing between left and right. In my 40s I discovered I can cycle long distance and run an hour, with huge benefits on my body and mood. I am much fitter than most people my age.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 12:49 pm

Was always very sporty as a kid/teen. Was the fastest sprinter in the school and represented my school against others in the county. Was obsessive about football and was one of the best in school, playing for local teams (one frustration to team mates and manager was that I didn't open my mouth on the pitch. I hate the sound and feel of me shouting)

I also raised the same when I was diagnosed and the lady diagnosing me just kind of dismissed it like it wasn't relevant

SailorsGuy12
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Apr 2024, 1:42 pm

I like individual sports like bowling and lifting weights. Interestingly, when I was still in school at some point, my mom offered to ask me if I wanted to try for a local youth American Football league. I wasn't interested, but now it's somehow growing on me and I actually want to learn more about Am. Football.

"Capitalism" or free-market != oppression