Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

NorahW
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2006, 5:56 pm

ghotistix wrote:
sparkplugloy wrote:
Concerning About a boy, what makes you say that ? I have not seen the movie.

A whole bunch of stuff... People are always thinking he's joking when he's not, he can't detect sarcasm, he's painfully honest, antisocial, and just odd in general. The book makes it a lot clearer than the movie does and is quite funny. I'd recommend it.

Plus I've heard that the guy who wrote the book "About a Boy" has an autistic son, so he may have meant the boy to be autistic, or actually used traits of his son's or friends of his son's who were autistic, or something.

NorahW
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2006, 6:00 pm

Sean wrote:
What about Dustin Hoffman's character in Meet the Fockers?

No, just eccentric, I think...

NorahW
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2006, 6:14 pm

mikibacsi1124 wrote:
I hate to be the voice of dissent, but I really don't care for all this speculation about which movie characters might be Aspies. IMHO, if a character wasn't written to have AS, then they don't have AS.

EDIT: Please note that I don't mean this as a knock at you guys, and feel free to continue speculating. I'm just expressing my $.02 on the matter.

I kind of disagree with you, in that sometimes characters are written with traits that the writers have seen in people they know (or themselves). They get some very believable characters this way, and if the traits they're portraying are from an undiagnosed autistic person, then they could have a very believable autistic/Aspie character.

Sometimes, if someone is written to be AS, even if the person writing knows a lot of autistic people, it seems as if they throw in everything but the kitchen sink to make the point ther person is AS. It seemed the kid in "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" had every conceivable AS trait--does any one Aspie ever have that many traits? (Although that's an excellent book and I don't mean to put the author down in any way.)

Also the Aspie character Jerry "Hands" Espenson (spelling?) in "Boston Legal": He seems over the top for an adult Aspie, especially in his initial presentation. It's like the writers want to point out "This guy is Asperger's! Asperger's people are weird!" or something.

NorahW
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2006, 6:16 pm

eamonn wrote:
I think Pinnochio was an aspie. He didnt know how to follow social norms and interactions easily and always questioned as to why he should follow them. EDIT- and he was really bad at lying and was easily caught out which is common in aspie children. He wanted to be just like the other kids but knew he was different from them.

But he wasn't human, at least at first, so he would be different.....

NorahW
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2006, 6:18 pm

iamlucille wrote:
hmm... come to think of it, ALL SUPERHEROES have aspie traits!

isn't that cool?

also, i'm thinking the main character in I <3 Huckabees is an aspie. He's absorbed in trying to make sense of the world. Actually, pretty much everyone (except for the people played by Jude Law and Naomi Watts) in that movie seems to have aspie traits.

I was surprised to find that Calvin from the Calvin & Hobbes comics is an aspie. This does make a lot of sense though! He's always in his own little world, he's just friends w/ Susie, he gets picked on, and his mind tends to drift. why didn't i notice that before? this is why he's my freakin hero!

Did I miss something...did Bill Watterson say that Calvin is supposed to be Aspie?

NorahW
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2006, 6:23 pm

Tangerine wrote:
Timespanner wrote:
I wonder if the one line, "you don't have aspergers" was a red herring? Since admiting it would give him justification to act worse.

That's what I thought. The guy who told him that (sorry, can't remember character names) was also the same one who tried to keep another woman doctor from telling House that his cure for a patient worked. He already lied to House before because he thought it was in his best interest, so he would probably lie again for the same reason (not using AS as a justification, like you said).

The way I see the episode, it was left ambiguous. The guy lied to House saying he didn't have it (after lying to him before), just after telling the other woman doctor he did have it (who was part of his last conspiracy to lie to House). I suspect they'll leave it up to the viewer, but part of me says that House is too suave. He deliberately ignores social rules, but he's very skilled at reading people.

Which episodes is all this happening in? Is it this season?

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2006, 8:45 pm

NorahW wrote:
ghotistix wrote:
sparkplugloy wrote:
Concerning About a boy, what makes you say that ? I have not seen the movie.

A whole bunch of stuff... People are always thinking he's joking when he's not, he can't detect sarcasm, he's painfully honest, antisocial, and just odd in general. The book makes it a lot clearer than the movie does and is quite funny. I'd recommend it.

Plus I've heard that the guy who wrote the book "About a Boy" has an autistic son, so he may have meant the boy to be autistic, or actually used traits of his son's or friends of his son's who were autistic, or something.

Hmmm....

I think the main character from "Fever Pitch" (Also by Nick Hornby) has some aspie traits, most notably his obsession with Arsenal and encyclopaedic knowledge of the team's history. Or perhaps he's just quintessentially male.

chesirecat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Nov 2006, 5:04 pm

just saw "Stranger than Fiction" with Will Farrell who plays a IRS agent. I think he may of been AS, but if not him, his friend in the movie, Dave, is definitely.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2006, 9:08 pm

chesirecat wrote:
just saw "Stranger than Fiction" with Will Farrell who plays a IRS agent. I think he may of been AS, but if not him, his friend in the movie, Dave, is definitely.

I agree. Also in the movie Marie Antoinette, King Louis seemed to be aspieish to me, or at least that is how they portrayed him.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 7:31 pm

Before becoming psychotic, Nash has many Aspie traits in A Beautiful Mind, which is why it is one of my biggest obsessive fixations (if you couldn't already tell :wink: ). He's basically this clumsy, socially awkward geek who can't relate to anybody and thinks differently. I really love the interaction between him and Alicia (the scene in my signature) because it gives me hope that I will some day find a boyfriend and we can bond over our geekiness. There's so much in the movie that I can relate to, physical gestures and such. He does some stimming-esque things that are so me. I watch the movie when I'm feeling really, really overwhelmed and need to watch it as a tension-release thing (I usually just listen to the soundtrack).
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

DeoxysRibonuke
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2006, 9:45 pm

This is something I STRIVE to think about, even though I usually focus on my favorite chars from movies, which are usually kick-butt women from action movies. Here is a possibility:

Selene from "Underworld"... *shot by Underworld fans for even suggesting such a thing* But wait, listen! I shall tell you why I think so: She is apparently a logical-based thinker, and she has constant obsession of trying to to annhialate all the other Lycans. Her opinions and behavior ar radically different from teh other vampires, who have a very social caste. The one scene that really comes to mind whenever I think about the possibility of her having ASD is in teh first movie. The other vampires are having a social gathering downstairs while she is upstairs at her laptop, looking at a video from the first action sequence in the movie. Then Erika, who is supposedly the complete opposite of her (loving parties and socializing), come into the room and tries to convince her to come out of the room and join the party. Selene refuses.

Peter Parker I think has ASD, HANDS DOWN. I thought that the first time I saw him in high school, and that line about the spiders has convinced me even further.

muchacha
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2006, 7:22 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

Stewie Griffin (Family Guy)

PETER Griffin!!

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 8:06 am

MindOfOrderedChaos wrote:
I think that in the movie Phenomenon the charcter George Malley (John Travolta) shows AS trates the way he starts talking about things he is thinking about and other people are completely lost as to what he is talking about. The way hes always reading and trying learn more. The way he gets annoyed when no one else is listening to him and he smashes a mirror at a bar.

I read in a magazine somewhere that it is thought John Trvolta's son, Jett, is autistic.

Dudegirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2007, 3:55 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
Mr. Bean?

Lol. I think you could be right.

KurtmanJP
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2007, 6:31 pm

Itchy in ADGTH2 (All Dogs Go To Heaven 2) strikes me as having a couple aspie traits.......or maybe he's just neurotic.