Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 7:36 pm

If yes, what do you use it for? Is it autism-related or no?

Mine is... well, kind of. I use it to express myself through writing. I can have my iPad read what I have written because I have a hard time with reading what I have said.

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2014, 7:44 pm

I use an iPad... not because it's autism related, but because I like it.

In fact; ever since I owned a tablet for the past 3 years I've read more books than I ever did in my life.

But over time it got more of a handy tool for me, so I don't have to haul other things around. I doodle around and create music on it, I write notes on it. I usually have my dictionary on there for when I have some formal appointments (since no one is ever gonna screw me over ambigious language at an interview anymore! ha!)

Perhaps these things are for autism reasons; I can zone out and retreat to my shell without having the need to go home and record music; I could technically do it on the road. Well, and the language thing... I'm not the best with oral interviews I suppose, I do better in writing.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 7:57 pm

Yep, somebody was kind enough to send me their old tablet a few months ago. Asus Transformer TF101, which came out about the same time as the iPad 2. Rooted it, so I could upgrade the Android OS and install apps which required root access, e.g. SNES emulator.

It's pretty awesome and certainly functions a whole lot better than my mum's friend's borked iPad 2. I'm pretty familiar with iOS, 'cos I've used my mum's friend's iPad and nephew's mini-iPad a ton. The hardware is sleeker than a sealion wallowing in an oil slick, but I hate Apple's control-freakery. Even if money were no object, I'd probably stick with Android products.

I don't use my tablet for anything remotely useful. Playing games, mostly. For posting I still prefer using my laptop because typing is so much easier for me on a physical keyboard.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 8:06 pm

I use an iPad.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 8:14 pm

I use an iPad for my job (provided by my employer).

Aside from work purposes it comes in handy as a GPS and for checking sales/coupons while I'm out shopping. But it's frustrating to use much for email or web browsing, I prefer to have a real keyboard and a mouse.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2014, 8:47 pm

I have an iPad that I use for my artwork, to create (otherwise I'd go through a ton of paper), find references, learn about, and to show which could be applied to being autism related.

It has also helped me communicate ideas/thoughts/feelings with others without having to get frustrated in some cases. I pay for data with it so it's easy for me to pull up information when I am out.

My roommate likes it cause I can show him what I'm talking about without him having to move from the sofa. :lol:

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 12:22 am

No, I hate tablets.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2014, 12:45 am

No. I can't type on them, and looking at them would hurt my neck and arms.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 12:47 am

I use my ipad more than I use my desktop computer. Mostly, I use it for electronic news, e-books, mail and forums.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 1:28 am

I have an iPad.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 1:38 am

I bought an iPad Mini Retina a while back, and I use it a lot more than the laptop. The laptop came with Windows 8, which is all sorts of terrible, and I only use it when I need to do something that either can't be done on a tablet or is far easier with a keyboard and mouse. The iPad pisses me off every day, but it's the lesser of two evils.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2014, 2:07 am

I have a phablet. Phone/tablet or just a really huge phone or a smallish tablet.

It's a Samsung Galaxy MEGA and I love it.

It has a decent camera for a phone, it has a nice screen, decent sound. It's crammed full of memory, as much as would fit.

I use it for controlling my Philips Hue lighting system, controlling other pc's on my network, watching my security camera system feeds, movies, tunes, surfing the internet, chatting on hangouts with my friend or texting with my sister back East. I also use it for teamspeak.

I rarely use it as a phone and I never give out the number because I can never remember it.

It freaks me out when someone calls me. It's usually spam calls.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 6:26 am

My laptop has been parked, almost unused, for the last two years, since I got my Samsung tablet.

I only use the laptop for Photoshopping my cartoons, now.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 7:14 am

I use my tablet for watching anime and reading manga.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 8:39 am

I have a Samsung tablet that my mother got me on my last birthday. It's primarily for entertainment. I got a little too obsessed with playing The Sims Freeplay. I also used it to make some videos at Halloween which I put on YouTube. I want to make some videos for Christmas but right now I can't use my tablet at all because the adapter recharger broke for maybe the tenth time. It costs 30 dollars to get a new adapter each time, which is the cheapest I've seen, but now I can't find one anywhere. The batteries wear out so quickly. Maybe it's the design of the tablet that's the problem and I should have gotten an iPod instead. :?

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 8:56 am

I have an iPad that I would often use to go on WP. I would also use it to surf the web, play games, check my e-mail, do some of my artwork, and take important notes.