campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2014, 1:36 am

Naturalist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2014, 5:33 pm

Yes, that is a very accurate and eloquent description of fragmented perception. Thank you for sharing it! Glad to have your perspective, too.

I think one thing I would add is that I often get very anxious when I am taking in all these details and I realize something has changed in my environment, but I have to go back through my memory and consciously match up every detail I see with every detail I recall from my previous observations in order to figure out what is different; it isn't automatic. And because my active retrieval is quite poor sometimes, it can take me quite a while to process the changes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 5:43 pm

This is the thing that's weird about me: I DON'T usually notice subtle changes in my environment. I think it's part of my "non-verbal learning disability" LOL

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 5:54 pm

Quote:
If you try to imagine living in a world where every single day is completely different. Where every experience, even if experienced many times before, feels new. Imagine having to consciously process every piece of information that enters your brain, work out what might or might not be relevant and then use that information to make sense of things. You might then start to understand the overwhelming need for routine and familiarity in people with autism.

I very much relate to this.
I always wrote down on papers that it feels like I have to start every day like new again, like entering the body, the surroundings for the first time every time again.
After being diagnosed I learnt about the consciously processing every piece of information that enters your brain and that this leads to that perception, but the knowledge about the perception does not change the perception.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2014, 6:30 pm

this is so beautiful

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 9:02 pm

I don't relate to this. I actually seek novelty.

QuantumPhysique
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2015, 5:00 pm

This is my Blog Post! I am so thrilled that people are relating to it and I'm also happy that some aren't relating to it because we are all different! Thank you for reading and sharing OP.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 5:24 pm

QuantumPhysique wrote:
This is my Blog Post! I am so thrilled that people are relating to it and I'm also happy that some aren't relating to it because we are all different! Thank you for reading and sharing OP.

Nice to meet you,
as you wrote in your blog post you can draw quite well,
I can also draw quite well.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

QuantumPhysique
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2015, 6:01 pm

Eloa wrote:
QuantumPhysique wrote:

Nice to meet you,
as you wrote in your blog post you can draw quite well,
I can also draw quite well.

Nice to meet you too! What do you like to draw?

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 6:34 pm

At the moment I like to draw light,
how light can shine out of objects.
I like to draw lucency.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 6:37 pm

When I was growing up, there was this toy called "Lite Brite." You should Google it.

I think you would have loved it!

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 6:45 pm

Eloa wrote:
Quote:
If you try to imagine living in a world where every single day is completely different. Where every experience, even if experienced many times before, feels new. Imagine having to consciously process every piece of information that enters your brain, work out what might or might not be relevant and then use that information to make sense of things. You might then start to understand the overwhelming need for routine and familiarity in people with autism.

I very much relate to this.

+1
I've never experienced boredom.

I like the Weeping Willow tree.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 6:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
When I was growing up, there was this toy called "Lite Brite." You should Google it.

I think you would have loved it!

I googled it,
I want a "Lite Brite"-kaleidoscope!

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jan 2015, 8:57 pm

QuantumPhysique wrote:

No problem, thank you so much for writing it. It's really rare I relate to other people ( I don't mean that in a pretentious way) - so when I read it, it made me feel really calm and at home.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
When I was growing up, there was this toy called "Lite Brite."

I had a Lite Bright. It was awesome - like needlepoint with lights.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 9:37 am

I wanted it myself--but I was afraid to ask my parents for it.