Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2014, 5:22 pm

Just saw it. Epic.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 7:38 pm

The trailer for the first instalment of the new Star Wars sequel trilogy is out:

Apparently, there is a lot of talk about the lightsaber crossguard shown that trailer. I personally think that makes some sense for a lightsaber to have a crossguard. If you remember, Luke's hand was cut off in his fight with Darth Vader in Empire Strikes Back. A crossguard like that (the 2 extra lightsaber blades at the base of the lightsaber) would actually prevent that from happening by protecting the hands from the opponent in a lightsaber dual.

What do you guys think?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 12:54 am

Looks pretty cool. But I didn't think cloned Stormtroopers came in black. :lol:

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 2:20 am

I have a bad feeling, that light-sabre is too gimmicky/trying too hard to be clever. Its the sort of stuff that you'd write in your first draft and then edit it out the next morning upon realizing that it seems too silly.

Oh geeze, I just realized I haven't watched the original trilogy since I was around 10. 8O I know what I'll be doing very soon then.

Honestly, star wars seems so ingrained in our culture that I feel like I've watched the original trilogy like 3 times each year.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Dec 2014, 2:24 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

I heard that somewhere in the expanded canon that they stop being clones somewhere along the line, there are a ton of Star Wars books and comics or whatever besides just the movies.

but ya, I'm coming into this movie with open mind. It will be better than Phantom Menace at least.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 4:56 am

Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I heard that somewhere in the expanded canon that they stop being clones somewhere along the line, there are a ton of Star Wars books and comics or whatever besides just the movies.

but ya, I'm coming into this movie with open mind. It will be better than Phantom Menace at least.

I'm not sure the stormtroopers in the original episodes 4/5/6 were clones. Clones were never mentioned in the original movies, and Luke talks about "going to join the academy" or something, but his adoptive parents won't let him. So maybe the stormtroopers in ep 4/5/6 are just normal recruits.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 6:33 am

Lucas put it that citizens eventually started being inducted into the positions the clones took up, as the clones aged in dog years. With the near unlimited recruits possible, they'd have no reason to continue purchasing the expensive clones (the cloners probably wouldn't have stood for doing it free). So, you'd have various colored humans depending on what planet they came from.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 6:40 am

As I said elsewhere, I don't mind the bastard lightsabre. Star Wars is big on myth, and that elicits Knights of the Round Table imagery to me.

There's not much shown otherwise. Apart from using mechanical designs from the OT, or based on; light versus dark, which is kinda a given.

I'm guessing the war kept on going strong after RotJ based on the storm troopers and TIEs (after all, the Empire still would have controlled thousands of industrial worlds in the least, even if half switched sides).

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 2:36 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Lucas put it that citizens eventually started being inducted into the positions the clones took up, as the clones aged in dog years. With the near unlimited recruits possible, they'd have no reason to continue purchasing the expensive clones (the cloners probably wouldn't have stood for doing it free). So, you'd have various colored humans depending on what planet they came from.

Am I the only one who finds the bolding problematic? I've seen the suggestion that Lando Calrissian and Mace Windu were from different planets respectively, that were both home to primarily dark-skinned humans. But then you have planets like Naboo, which obviously feature ethnic diversity in their human populations, so a Black Stormtrooper might as well be from Naboo.

But that's not all too relevant if the character in question isn't a Stormtrooper at all, but a main protagonist in disguise:

Finally, here's John Boyega's reaction to the criticism of his character's appearance in the trailer:http://variety.com/2014/film/news/star-wars-star-john-boyega-tells-haters-to-get-used-to-it-1201367291/

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 3:12 pm

Dillogic wrote:
As I said elsewhere, I don't mind the bastard lightsabre. Star Wars is big on myth, and that elicits Knights of the Round Table imagery to me.

There's not much shown otherwise. Apart from using mechanical designs from the OT, or based on; light versus dark, which is kinda a given.

I'm guessing the war kept on going strong after RotJ based on the storm troopers and TIEs (after all, the Empire still would have controlled thousands of industrial worlds in the least, even if half switched sides).

This movie takes place 30 years after the end of RotJ, so I'm guessing that by now the rebels must of reclaimed some worlds back from the Empire (even though the Empire may still control a huge territory) and trying to rebuild the old Rebuplic from from the prequels in the new territory that they control.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 3:16 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

Am I the only one who finds the bolding problematic? I've seen the suggestion that Lando Calrissian and Mace Windu were from different planets respectively, that were both home to primarily dark-skinned humans. But then you have planets like Naboo, which obviously feature ethnic diversity in their human populations, so a Black Stormtrooper might as well be from Naboo.

But that's not all too relevant if the character in question isn't a Stormtrooper at all, but a main protagonist in disguise:

Finally, here's John Boyega's reaction to the criticism of his character's appearance in the trailer:http://variety.com/2014/film/news/star-wars-star-john-boyega-tells-haters-to-get-used-to-it-1201367291/

Personally, I actually quite like John Boyega's appearance in the trailer.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 4:12 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

I personally just assumed different planets had people of differing colors due to climate and genetics, just like earth.

thedaveman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2014, 5:36 pm

I'm hyped for this. I'm not going to complain if the lightsaber looks a little odd, but my sister would point out that it could kill you in a fight because if you bend your wrist the wrong way--you have no wrist :P

I'm confident in J.J. Abram's directing talent. The trailer doesn't tell you to much but it gives a good feel for the movie. I want to watch it because I'm drawn into the mystery Today, trailers show way too many scenes from the climax and I can pretty much what the entire movie will be like. With this...all the scenes show one common thing: everyone is preparing for something big, dark, and dangerous....

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 7:14 pm

drh1138 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Seeing the Falcon and the X-Wings flying so close to the deck leads me to believe that there will be some truly amazing CGI effects!
My worry is that it will be at expense of genuine storytelling, but I remain cautiously optimistic...
Ah, but of course!

Who needs a character-driven story when character development has no priority whatsoever?

It's all about zap-guns, light-sabers, and explosions that go "BOOM!" in space, anyway.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 5:22 am

Fnord wrote:
drh1138 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Seeing the Falcon and the X-Wings flying so close to the deck leads me to believe that there will be some truly amazing CGI effects!
My worry is that it will be at expense of genuine storytelling, but I remain cautiously optimistic...
Ah, but of course!

Who needs a character-driven story when character development has no priority whatsoever?

It's all about zap-guns, light-sabers, and explosions that go "BOOM!" in space, anyway.

But we don't know that yet, right? That short trailer was just a bunch of images, we have no idea based on that what it's about. The original Star Wars (4/5/6) also had good special effects for their time, and they turned out pretty well.
I'm don't have high expectations though. Wait and see.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 5:25 am

thedaveman wrote:
I'm hyped for this. I'm not going to complain if the lightsaber looks a little odd, but my sister would point out that it could kill you in a fight because if you bend your wrist the wrong way--you have no wrist :P

In real saber/rapier fighting, people often grab/push the handguard with thumb and finger to move the blade. Can't do that with this one. Since lightsabers are more or less weightless (probably) and have no directional edge, seems not to have much functionality.