Survey: Has your parenting changed since the diagnosis?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sydellelk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Dec 2014, 6:24 pm

Hi! My name is Sydelle Keisler, and I'm a student at the University of Chicago. My younger brother was recently diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome/high-functioning autism and I have noticed a shift in the way my parents treat him. I am currently taking a sociology class that requires a final research paper, and I have decided to do my research on parents' reactions to learning their child’s diagnosis of Aspergers syndrome or high-functioning autism and how that information may have changed the way they parent.

If you are the parent of one or more children with either Aspergers or high-functioning autism, please help me gather more information by taking my online survey (the link is at the end of this post)! It would mean the world to me, would really help me expand my knowledge, and help me complete my final project.

I have created an online survey that should take no more than 15 minutes and is anonymous. The paper that I am writing on this data will not be published anywhere, nor will your name be recorded in the responses. I would appreciate as detailed responses as you can give.

I am hoping to have all my data collected by Monday December 8 at midnight.

If you know of any other parents of children with Aspergers syndrome or high-functioning autism, I would be so grateful if you would send along my survey. I'd love as many responses I can get!

Please, please participate in this survey. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Here is the link:
https://qtrial2014az1.az1.qualtrics.com ... 50ZFAg5coJ

With so much gratitude,
Sydelle

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 8:59 pm

I don't have 15 minutes at this moment, but I will try to do it later.

One thing I want you to know: a person's parenting SHOULD change with diagnosis because, to put it simply, the "best practice" protocols are different. We talk a lot here about turning most of the conventional parenting wisdom upside down to get better results with our ASD children. So unless you have a parent that was already so intuitive they were able to buck conventional parenting wisdom without a diagnosis, how they parent has to change.

Hopefully you've incorporated that concept into your survey. Or left a lot of room for comments on why the questions don't cover the considerations.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 9:03 pm

Agree with DW_a_mom. If someone's parenting didn't change, either they were incredibly and unusually enlightened to begin with, or they are likely causing their kid short-term and potentially even long-term damage because they are not adjusting to accommodate a neurological difference.

I can't get the link to work, btw.

Sydellelk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Dec 2014, 9:42 pm

I apologize! The link was wonky. *Here* is the working link. Thank you for your patience: https://qtrial2014az1.az1.qualtrics.com ... 50ZFAg5coJ

I will be posting a new thread soon so that other people will see the correct link from the beginning. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 11:25 pm

One thing to consider is that the people who post here have most likely accepted the diagnosis. I see quite a few posts here where one of the parents or other family members are completely in denial about the diagnosis though. These people are less likely to post themselves on this forum.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 9:01 pm

trollcatman wrote:
One thing to consider is that the people who post here have most likely accepted the diagnosis. I see quite a few posts here where one of the parents or other family members are completely in denial about the diagnosis though. These people are less likely to post themselves on this forum.

That is a good point. The views of this group may not reflect the views of the wider public. Having been "at this" for 7 years now, I would say I have met more parents who's philosophies regarding autism are nothing like mine, than I have parents who's philosophies are similar. This forum, for the most part, is peopled by people who's philosophies about autism are similar to mine.