Funny/ridiculous experiences with health professionals?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 12:06 pm

I went to my General Practitioner about long term fatigue four years ago, I was exhausted, even when I could sleep, it was never enough, I could have slept for weeks at a time.

She checked my blood pressure.
Her advice was to moisturise my hands, drink warm milk, take a bath; and for that valuable prescription she charged fifty Euros. Lol.

Have you had any funny/ridiculous experiences with health professionals?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 9:46 am

Oh, geez----the list, for me, seems endless----I'll just name a couple I can think of, off the top of my head.....

My doctor gave me a urinalysis, for something (I can't remember, what), and then gave me an antibiotic for a urinary tract infection, because he said my urine was cloudy. I was on prescription drugs, at-the-time----of COURSE my urine would be cloudy. I never took the antibiotic.

I had a doctor check my tongue and announce that I was dehydrated----I was sucking on a mint candy, at-the-time!! (The mint candy was the white kind, with red stripes. If you don't know, when your tongue is white, you're dehydrated.)

One time, when I had tonsillitis, and then got an earache, I told the doctor I was concerned that the infection had spread to my ear. He laughed at me and said, to someone nearby, "She thinks she has tonsillitis in her ear!!"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 10:43 am

If you're talking about "physcial health" doctors I don't have much in the way of annectdotes.

Shrinks however- thats different.

My parents sent me to a series of incompentent idiot shrinks to treat me for what decades later proved to be my aspergers decades before aspergers was recognized as a condition in the USA.

My parents told me about how in interviews with these doctors (when I was a tot in early gradeschool shortly after JFK was president) they would be intimidated by the shrinks. For example my folks would explain how I was obsessed with "drawing stories"(I vividly remember this). I would draw crude comic strips with characters and stories and adventures. And my folks related how I would call each installment "an episode". Upon hearing the word "episode" the shrinks would get angry and browbeat my parents for distorting, and agrandizing how smart their kid was. That "NO child would use a word like "episode"! !! !! !!"- and really cower my parents.

I really did use the word 'episode' to describe my crayon drawn adventure stories. On one hand I am flattered that grownups thought I was an impossible genius kid for using the word, but on the other...it amuses/bemuses me what incompentence that demostrates on their part!

If these shrinks had removed their heads from the rectums and watched what their own kids were watching on TV they would have noticed that every installment of Bullwinkle ended with the announcer stating "will our heroes escape the dungeon blah blah? Tune in next week for the next EPISODE of Rocky and Bullwinkle!" (or of Benny and Cecil, or of Get Smart, or of Batman, or any of dozen other dumb shows on TV of that Sixties era that kids watched).These "professionals" were so stupid that it didnt occur to them that I might have been just apeing TV- which was indeed all that I was doing.

Part of it might have been that the word "episode" is used in their own shrink jargon- to mean "an explosive event between people", or something. They were so wrapped up in their own shrinkspeak that it didnt occur to them that the word 'episode' is out there in the pop culture world, and doesnt only reside in their own psychology textbooks.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 4:48 pm

I'm talking about all/any health professionals

Campin_Cat wrote:
One time, when I had tonsillitis, and then got an earache, I told the doctor I was concerned that the infection had spread to my ear. He laughed at me and said, to someone nearby, "She thinks she has tonsillitis in her ear!!

naturalplastic wrote:
I would draw crude comic strips with characters and stories and adventures. And my folks related how I would call each installment "an episode". Upon hearing the word "episode" the shrinks would get angry and browbeat my parents for distorting, and agrandizing how smart their kid was. That "NO child would use a word like "episode"! ! ! ! ! ! !"- and really cower my parents.

Lol, both of them are funny. Thanks for the giggle.