Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2007, 10:37 pm

a repost from the science thread....the film also deals with the political reasons why global warming was pushed and built the myth up to be fact.

[GVideo]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9005566792811497638[/GVideo]

please....no comments until viewing the movie....i feel the movie does a more than decent job debunking many myths and i'd rather comments and critiques actually relevant to the movie and what facts are presented in the movie rather than just throwing out ideas that may be debunked within the movie. thanks.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2007, 11:46 pm

Uh, sir? Before I spend an hour and fifteen minutes absorbing what is likely to be unapologetic propaganda, perhaps you could summarize the points made by the video in a way that could substantially contradict the international scientific unanimity regarding the threat of global warming? Or is the point impossible to make without the added propaganda?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2007, 11:58 pm

maldoror wrote:
Uh, sir? Before I spend an hour and fifteen minutes absorbing what is likely to be unapologetic propaganda, perhaps you could summarize the points made by the video in a way that could substantially contradict the international scientific unanimity regarding the threat of global warming? Or is the point impossible to make without the added propaganda?

global warming is not caused by co2 increase in the atmosphere and the amount of co2 contributed by humans is massively over exaggerated. the reason for climate change is stated as being caused by the sun and solar spots....not the amount of co2 produced by humans. they go about debunking the co2 part by pointing out that the ocean contributes much more co2 to the atmosphere than we do and other than that, decaying material and wild life produce much more than the industrialized world does.

also say that your supposed scientific unanimity is actually exaggerated and actually most scientists do not believe in global warming as presented by the whole co2 theory.

the climate is changing but the climate always changes and those changes are explained by cosmic rays and the number of solar spots on the sun....not because of the amount of co2...which is actually more a reactionary measure to what the climate has done than it is a cause.

now...i might have smudged up what the movie says a little since i've only watched it once so far but the explanations presented are very sound and reasonable.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 2:17 am

Interesting video. Thought provoking. They do not say the earth isnt getting warmer, they simply claim it isnt Co2 doing the job.

And they have a good point. The upper atmosphere, where the Co2 sits and absorbs heat would heat more than the surface air of earth, and that is not happening.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 2:24 am

Still, global warming is a potential problem. I knew a Geology Professor who was convinced that it was a good thing, still of the mindset that we're due for an ice age. :D

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 2:32 am

I could not be curtain that the truth really is I am not an environmental scientist. And after watching that program, it seems like I am even more uncertain. Any choice that I make would be a FAITH DRIVEN BELIEF not a logical deductive one.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 2:42 am

What I like for any skeptic to explain, is why are the stratospheric temperatures decreasing as well as the temperatures increasing on the ground? Now if it was solar activity causing this warming, then shouldn't the stratosphere be showing a temperature rise instead of fall (considering that more radiation entering Earth's atmospheres, would heat all atmospheric layers)?

No one seems to address that, that the greenhouse effect has a dual effect, the first is obvious that it traps in more heat below the stratosphere, however two, it also cools down the stratosphere because infrared radiation is less available to heat the stratosphere as it exits back into space.

Besides to deny that CO2 doesn't warm the Earth or causes warming trends, you're essentially denying the greenhouse effect and the types of gases that contribute to it, and therefore you're scientifically wrong. If CO2 didn't retain heat or cause warming periods, Earth would be too cold to be habitable for life.

I should add that even with a increased solar influence in progress, the greenhouse effect will be significantly amplifying the effect of any solar variation, therefore the less CO2 the better, otherwise we may never recover from the effects as a positive CO2 and Methane feedback loop will occur and Earth goes into meltdown. But lucky for us, the water vapor levels will surge and eventually generate super storm conditions and Earth will cool down afterwards in a climate shift. It's not a pretty process though if the warming trend happens too fast to trigger this cooling trend. Ice core records do show cooling periods proceeding after warming one, so presumably Earth will repair itself in time, but the question is, can humanity survive such change?

To be honest, it's too late to do anything about it, as the positive feedback effect is already happening, so there's no point in me arguing a lost cause anymore and this will probably be the last time I'll be bothered talking about it. If anyone doesn't believe it by now, they'll have to learn the hard way...

I suggest everyone should enjoy themselves as much as possible, and when the s*** hits the fan, I suggest you take what happens as a vital lesson to humanity, and that is to never mess around with nature ever again.

I'll admit that I sound rather crazy but meh, we'll wait and see about that ;)

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 3:43 am

There are two sides to propoganda ... those that see it and those that see it.

--get it?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 3:49 am

calandale wrote:
Still, global warming is a potential problem. I knew a Geology Professor who was convinced that it was a good thing, still of the mindset that we're due for an ice age. :D

the ice age trend was popular in the 70s if i'm not mistaken.....same group of people....same alarmist propaganda...just cooling instead of warming.

i would say that we probably are on a warming trend but it's nothing that we control and is more due to the sun and solar spots.

if anything, i'd say we should look into technology and possibly a satellite that could provide information about the sun spots that are due our way and what possibly climate change we can expect due to the sun's position and amount of radiation and sun spots.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 4:14 am

skafather84 wrote:
if anything, i'd say we should look into technology and possibly a satellite that could provide information about the sun spots that are due our way and what possibly climate change we can expect due to the sun's position and amount of radiation and sun spots.

Not sure if this is exactly what you want, but it gives information of current sun spot activity, solar flares, geomagnetic storms, etc :)

http://www.spaceweather.com/

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 4:19 am

Nexus wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

Not sure if this is exactly what you want, but it gives information of current sun spot activity, geomagnetic storms, etc :)

http://www.spaceweather.com/

haven't looked through the site enough but i noticed in the documentary that i posted that the sun spots....solar flares occurred before our change in climate(on the graph, it shows climate change first then solar flares....indicating that our knowledge of the solar flares is delayed from when the climate changes will occur....meaning we need a faster relay)...which means that our information on these events aren't getting to us soon enough to know what's coming ahead of time. hence why i said focus more on developing a satellite that can let us know ahead of time.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 6:25 am

skafather84 wrote:
the ice age trend was popular in the 70s if i'm not mistaken.....same group of people....same alarmist propaganda...just cooling instead of warming.

The guy I'm talking about claimed to have reasonable evidence that warming was a prelude to an ice age.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 6:43 am

calandale wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

The guy I'm talking about claimed to have reasonable evidence that warming was a prelude to an ice age.

okay...he's just stupid.

i'm sure it will get cold again eventually....as is the nature of climate change....but there is a much better way to accurately predict climate change than simply co2 saturation or whatever other myths are held from that time period.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 7:08 am

maldoror wrote:

Actually, it's quite an interesting video. It's not really propaganda, there's lots of information there that you could follow up and corroborate yourself from other sources. Anyway, I think even those who agree that man is causing global warming can't deny that it's become a huge bandwagon that lots of people are making money from, and that politicians can use to justify things that otherwise would be unthinkable. Also, that the media, even relatively respectable organisations like the BBC, often unnecessarily attribute every news-worthy weather anomaly to global warming, and this tends to give the impression that the connection between man-made carbon dioxide emissions and climate change are fact. There may, arguably, be plenty of good evidence, but it is certainly not fact.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 7:20 am

skafather84 wrote:
calandale wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

okay...he's just stupid.

i'm sure it will get cold again eventually....as is the nature of climate change....but there is a much better way to accurately predict climate change than simply co2 saturation or whatever other myths are held from that time period.

The climate over the last 2m years or so has swung between glacial and interglacial periods. The interglacials, very generally speaking, can last for as little time as 15k years, the glacials about 80k years. Those are very rough figures from memory, and there is also evidence of shorter term extreme swings in temperature. Currently we're about 12k years into an interglacial. Probability-wise, humanity will be facing another period of glaciation fairly shortly — could be in 5,000 years, could be in a 100 .

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 7:59 am

ascan wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
calandale wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

okay...he's just stupid.

The climate over the last 2m years or so has swung between glacial and interglacial periods. The interglacials, very generally speaking, can last for as little time as 15k years, the glacials about 80k years. Those are very rough figures from memory, and there is also evidence of shorter term extreme swings in temperature. Currently we're about 12k years into an interglacial. Probability-wise, humanity will be facing another period of glaciation fairly shortly — could be in 5,000 years, could be in a 100 .

as i said....i agree with the documentary...your best source to predict climate change is paying attention to the sun and sun spots/solar flares.