Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Angel_the_alien
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Dec 2014, 11:34 pm

I've always heard that people with autism do not get attached to people. I have the opposite problem. Although I do have trouble making connections with new people, once I do make a connection (or with those connections I've had my whole life, such as with my family members) I get very overly attached, and anxious about being separated from them.
Currently my biggest problem is my attachment to my parents. I was living with roommates up until about 3 years ago, but the situation went sour. (They were into some really negative things, but because of my attachment to them and their children, I had a hard time convincing myself to move out!) Since then, I've been staying with my parents. It was only supposed to be until I found a full time job... but I still haven't found such a job yet, and couldn't afford to live on my own with the part-time jobs I've been able to get.
My aunt wants me to move to another state, where she lives. It would be a good idea for many reasons... there are more jobs available there in the field I am looking for, people are generally more easy-going and accepting in that part of the country, and I would be closer to my brother and cousin and some other members of my family. I really want to go. But my problem is, when it becomes time for me to leave my parents, I start to freak out! I was supposed to move out there this past August, and even had a job lined up. But when the time came, I had a huge meltdown and didn't go.
Complicating things is the fact that my parents are alcoholics, and lately they have been drinking and fighting a lot. The other day they got into a somewhat physical fight and my mom told me to call the police, and I had a meltdown from anxiety. I know it would be better for me to NOT live here. But I just am too sad to leave them!
Living on my own around here is not an option, since I haven't been able to find a job and I am not willing to deal with a roommate situation again. (I have had several bad experiences, this past roommate situation being the very worst. If I'm going to live with someone, I'd rather it be my parents because at least I'm used to them and don't have to feel self-conscious all the time.)
Has anyone else had problems separating from their family members? Is there anything that helped you make that transition?
Thanks!