Page 1263 of 1264 [ 20210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1260, 1261, 1262, 1263, 1264  Next

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 3:52 pm

I just watched Dunki https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15428134

About a group of Indians trying to get to England illegally. Like a lot of Indian movies, it was long and convoluted.

Still, interesting to ponder why Indians want to go to England of all places, and the difficult (and often deadly) routes they travel to get there.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 11:10 am

Last night we watched:

Poor Things [2023]
<=>"She's an experiment."

Well done. We both thought the movie was good and enjoyed it, but 8O WOW

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 4:09 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Last night we watched:

Poor Things [2023]
<=>"She's an experiment."

Well done. We both thought the movie was good and enjoyed it, but 8O WOW

I agree. Very brave performances by Emma Stone, Mark Ruffalo, and Wilem Dafoe.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 5:45 pm

Last night I watched:

The Mummy's Curse [1944]
<=>"Egypt's ancient loves live again in evil!"

Uh...wait a second...when I last saw the mummy and Ananka they sank into a swamp in Massachusetts...how the heck did they resurface in Louisiana?! :scratch:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 4:58 pm

Last night I watched:

The War of the Robots [1978]
<=>"Hostile Alien Cyborgs in a Battle for the Universe"

Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn YAWN :-| Y A W N

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2024, 4:45 pm

The Fly, with Vincent Price.

Not bad.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 6:17 pm

Nosferatu (yes, the 1922 silent film directed by FW Murnau)

A classic of vampire films that will always maintain its status as one of the best films ever made.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 7:25 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

A classic of vampire films that will always maintain its status as one of the best films ever made.

The director of The Lighthouse is in the process of remaking it with Pennywise the Clown playing Count Orlok.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2024, 10:33 am

Last night I watched:

The Quiet Earth [1985]
<=>"The End of the World is Just the Beginning"

Excellent Pretty Elegant Polished

IMDb credits it as being the first Science Fiction film produced in New Zealand...
...however, it is unclear to me whether it is Science Fiction or Fantasy.
(I think they were deliberately ambiguous about that.)

LittleBeach
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2024, 12:07 pm

Recently I watched Dirty God (2019). It’s about the effects on a woman’s life after she was burned in an acid attack. It was very depressing (all about isolation, humiliation, rejection) but very good.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2024, 5:32 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

The director of The Lighthouse is in the process of remaking it with Pennywise the Clown playing Count Orlok.

My mom, my NT sister and I have heard about this and we're looking forward to seeing when it's released
in theaters later this year. A release date is currently for Christmas Day 2024.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2024, 7:33 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

My mom, my NT sister and I have heard about this and we're looking forward to seeing when it's released
in theaters later this year. A release date is currently for Christmas Day 2024.

HUZZAHS!! !

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 1:10 am

I'm in the middle of downloading Look Who's Back.

In 2014, Adolf Hitler wakes up in the Berlin park where his Führerbunker once stood. Disoriented, he wanders through the city, interpreting modern situations from a wartime perspective. Mistaken for an impersonator, Hitler encounters a mime and an anxious young mother, the latter of which pepper-sprays him. He faints after reading a newspaper stating the year is 2014.

Meanwhile, Fabian Sawatzki, a filmmaker recently fired from MyTV, spots Hitler in the background of his documentary footage. Believing him to be an impressionist, and hoping to regain his job, Sawatzki embarks on a search for Hitler. As Hitler wakes up at a newspaper kiosk, he reads about a changed Germany and laments the loss of his vision. Believing destiny has a purpose for him, Hitler decides to continue his work, and eventually he and Sawatzki cross paths.

Sawatzki proposes filming Hitler for YouTube and they embark on a journey across Germany. Hitler interacts with ordinary Germans, promising to solve their problems, while also expressing disdain for those he dislikes. Sawatzki's idea for an animal-centric film clip ends abruptly when the normally animal-loving Hitler shoots a dog after it bites him.

Sawatzki introduces Hitler and his program idea to MyTV executives, including the new chairman, Katja Bellini. Hitler learns about the Internet and prepares to re-enter politics. On air, he presents his old plans for an ethnically homogeneous state, unintentionally becoming a comedy hit. However, when unedited footage of Hitler shooting the dog is broadcast, their careers are ruined, and Christoph Sensenbrink, the executive responsible, is promoted.

With the help of Bellini and Sawatzki, Hitler publishes a book titled "Er Ist Wieder Da" ("He is Back") about his new life, which becomes a bestseller; despite the controversy he has garnered for shooting the dog, the public seems to be very interested in him. Sawatzki turns Hitler’s book into a film, but without Hitler, MyTV's ratings plummet. In a fit of rage, Sensenbrink rehires Hitler to save the network.

During filming, Hitler is attacked by Neo-Nazis who mistake him for a mocking impersonator. Hospitalized, the news generates sympathy, and Hitler's popularity soars. Following suspicions about Hitler's true identity, Sawatzki reviews his footage and travels to the spot where Hitler rose from the ground. He discovers burnt leaves and a sign that the Führerbunker once stood at that location. Sawatzki realizes Hitler is not an impersonator and goes to confront him at the hospital, but Hitler has already been discharged and only Bellini is in the room. Sawatzki tries to explain the truth to Bellini, but she doesn't believe the story and hospital staff begins to chase him.

At the MyTV set, Hitler is filming when he is interrupted by Sawatzki holding him at gunpoint. Hitler allows Sawatzki to direct them to the rooftop, where Sawatzki shoots him off the side of the building. Hitler reappears behind him, unharmed, and the confrontation is revealed to be a film scene with an actor playing Sawatzki; the real Sawatzki had been committed to a mental hospital.

As Hitler's film finishes, he senses a political comeback. More popular than ever, he sees hope in nationalist Germans for his return to power. As he and Bellini ride in a car amidst images of nationalist demonstrations, Hitler says to himself: “I can work with this.”

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 10:17 pm

Titane.

French horror movie I got for my birthday. A girl who survives a car crash as a child, suffering severe head trauma, grows up to be a lesbian stripper serial killer. If that isn't weird enough, she gets impregnated by the car she dances on in car shows. When she's too close to being caught, she attempts to pass herself off as a boy who has been missing for years. It turns out the boy's father, a firefighter who is obsessed with finding him, falls for her ruse. From there, she becomes a firefighter, even though it becomes clear to everyone she is not who she says she is... except for the boy's father. When he finally learns she is a woman and not his son, he decides to live with the lie and have her be his boy. And then she gives birth...
Weird, weird movie.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 2:53 pm

Civil War (written & directed by Alex Garland)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 4:17 pm

Last night I watched:

Beginning of the End [1957]
<=>"The screen's first full-length science-fiction thriller with real live creatures!"

Radiation + Locusts = A U.S. bomber carrying an A-bomb on its way to bomb Chicago

I'm not sure I would call the cast "prestigious" but WOW! They've been around!

Last edited by Double Retired on 02 May 2024, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.