Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

neotopian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2005, 11:49 am

I am in a dilemma.

I am not sure who to vote for in next thursdays election.

The peculiartiies of the UK electoral system and the total lack of services for ASD in my area have produced a quandry.

OK heres how it goes.

I can't vote Labour, after what bLIAR did over the war, tuition fees and his ultra-authroitarin stance, (ID card??? no F***ing way mate).
and anyway they are a long way third in my constituancy.

so it leaves me with LibDem or Tory.

I, (for the first time in my life), am considering voting Tory.

(typing that makes me feel dirty)

I support the LibDems on most issues, and I agree with their basic philosphical underpinning of liberty.
I don't support the Tories and fundamentally disagree with their philosophical base.

BUT........

The local Tory canididate (and MP until the campaign) is the ONLY mp to get a debate on Aspergers in parliament, the ONLY one to highlight the issue to govt., and the ONLY one to do anything.

That she has done so because she has a son with AS does take some of the shine off her actions, (if they were free of self interest would've been nice, but she IS a Tory).

So I have a choice.

I cant affect the number of labour seats, in my constituancy it simply isnt an option.
SO:

vote Tory to suport the only MP who has raised AS, but risk it giving support to the other Tory policies, with which I disagree.

OR:

vote LibDem to support policies I do believe in, but lose the one advocate AS has in parliament

I'm not asking for any one to tell me how to vote, I will make up my mind, but some other opinions would be helpful.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 1:28 pm

Go LibDem. AS may be a point to debate, but ill shove some pressure onto one of the Education Secetaries (Ivan Lewis, Bury South, Labour) to get AS talked about.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 1:37 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 4:30 pm

I guess I need to learn more about political systems in other parts of the world, at least as far as English speaking countries are concened. For non-English speaking countries, I guess I'll still only worry about the ones that might need to be nuked.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 5:04 pm

I'll probably go for the liberal democrats.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 5:43 pm

Just quit faffing about and vote blinking Labour, OK? :evil: Whatever you think of Blair and Iraq (and I'm not too keen on the whole shenanigans either), don't forget that Vlad the Impala (Dracula's South African cousin) on t'other side o' th'ouse was 100% behind the whole doobery.... Voting Tory instead of Labour over Iraq is lunacy, mate..... And ID cards - I really don't see what the big deal is about them, I honestly don't.....

Just get that 'X' down next to the lesser of 3 evils and be done with it. Don't make me come 'round there.... :wink:

This has been a public service information broadcast on behalf of TAFKASH.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 11:25 pm

I'd vote tory, I can't stand Tony Bliar.

'The local Tory canididate (and MP until the campaign) is the ONLY mp to get a debate on Aspergers in parliament, the ONLY one to highlight the issue to govt., and the ONLY one to do anything.'

...well, why are you dithering?

The only thing to do with politicians is to change them reasonably frequently, any one party in power for too long becomes complacent and greedy.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 11:43 pm

Monster Raving Loony party!

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 11:52 pm

Don't vote Tory.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2005, 12:53 am

What is the Tory party's agenda anyway???

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2005, 2:11 am

Their agenda, Sean, is not that much different to Labour's. They've both gravitated to a central position where they try to please everyone; though, Labour, behind the neo-liberal facade, has more old-school reds than you can shake a stick at: ex-communists and 70's union rabble-rouser types. Not really my cup of tea.

My postal ballot papers are sitting in a heap with all the junk mail type stuff. That's where they'll most likely stay. If I did vote, it would probably be Tory or some far-right party you don't talk about in polite company :twisted: .

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2005, 2:39 am

ascan wrote:
If I did vote, it would probably be Tory or some far-right party you don't talk about in polite company.

I assume far-right is dead-center moderate by American standards?

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2005, 4:07 am

You know the BNP are gonna give rifle and ammunition for every citizen that asks for it, if they get into power? I case "you see a burgular or people trying to invade the country". I wouldn't vote for a far right party like that, but a free gun does sound tempting!

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2005, 4:45 am

Well Tom, I've never been too keen on polite company, so as you mentioned the BNP, I have to say that I'm not sure if that's their official line — you know, free guns. But, shooting burglars does sound a bloody good idea, though, I've a feeling that subject may have been visited here before.

Sean, it's difficult to make comparisons, we have different issues and priorities over here.

Edit: Oh, great! I'm a yellow-bellied woodpecker, now.

neotopian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2005, 7:22 am

TAFKASH wrote:
Just quit faffing about and vote blinking Labour, OK? :evil:

They are nowhere in my constituancy. I'm in a CON/LD marginal. Lab ain't got a hope here. even if I were a labour supporter it would be a wasted vote here

TAFKASH wrote:
Just get that 'X' down next to the lesser of 3 evils and be done with it. Don't make me come 'round there.... :wink:

Bring it on boy!! !
TAFKASH wrote:
And ID cards - I really don't see what the big deal is about them, I honestly don't.....

So when the cops stop you in the street and demand to see your ID card you'd be OK with that?, especially as they probably be able to access any govt held info on you.

And you will have to show it to get treated at hospital, (even in an emergency) [that bit is current Labour plans, not just paranoia]

You will be happy to be compelled to submit to finger printing, Iris scanning and facial recognition scanning?

NO to ID!

ghotistix wrote:

I would but they aren't standing here.

and for those that mention the bnp (puke)....

their policy is compulsary Military National Service and the a legal OBLIGATION to keep a gun and ammo.

But thats perhaps one of their more moderate proposals.

I'm not sure about the rules here on calling any group a bunch of bigoted, evil fascists who we could all do a lot better without, so I wont say that.

neotopian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2005, 7:23 am

TAFKASH wrote:
Just quit faffing about and vote blinking Labour, OK? :evil:

They are nowhere in my constituancy. I'm in a CON/LD marginal. Lab ain't got a hope here. even if I were a labour supporter it would be a wasted vote here

TAFKASH wrote:

Bring it on boy!! !
TAFKASH wrote:
And ID cards - I really don't see what the big deal is about them, I honestly don't.....

So when the cops stop you in the street and demand to see your ID card you'd be OK with that?, especially as they probably be able to access any govt held info on you.

And you will have to show it to get treated at hospital, (even in an emergency) [that bit is current Labour plans, not just paranoia]

You will be happy to be compelled to submit to finger printing, Iris scanning and facial recognition scanning?

NO to ID!

ghotistix wrote:

I would but they aren't standing here.

and for those that mention the bnp (puke)....

their policy is compulsary Military National Service and the a legal OBLIGATION to keep a gun and ammo.

But thats perhaps one of their more moderate proposals.

I'm not sure about the rules here on calling any group a bunch of bigoted, evil fascists who we could all do a lot better without, so I wont say that.