Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 9:53 pm

Dillogic wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Maybe this would work: Whenever the police use deadly force they most justify its use in a special court set up to handle such matters. In short, the burden of proof or justification is on the police.

Uh, no.

Innocent until proven guilty. If you can't prove someone is guilty, then they aren't. You do know what happens when the burden shifts to the accused, right? Guess what, I saw you kill someone! Off to jail you go until you prove you didn't do it. Nice [real] police state you're living in now.

(And no, the police shouldn't be treated differently than us. They are "us". They're not military. The more you separate them the more divide you make.)

Cops are treated differently right now! That's the whole point. If I put somebody in a choke hold, then sat on his head and the guy died, I would be facing manslaughter charges. The as*hole responsible for Eric Garner's death didn't even get indicted. The cop who killed that kid in Ferguson did not get indicted.

This issue is similar to the "stand your ground" laws that exempt people from prosecution for using deadly force. I don't agree with that. You should use non-deadly force in a confrontation whenever possible.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:44 pm

em_tsuj wrote:
Cops are treated differently right now! That's the whole point. If I put somebody in a choke hold, then sat on his head and the guy died, I would be facing manslaughter charges. The as*hole responsible for Eric Garner's death didn't even get indicted. The cop who killed that kid in Ferguson did not get indicted.

This issue is similar to the "stand your ground" laws that exempt people from prosecution for using deadly force. I don't agree with that. You should use non-deadly force in a confrontation whenever possible.

Well, it depends on the reason. If someone died after you were subduing them after they did something illegal against you, you wouldn't be charged (if it was reasonable force). If someone dies when the police are arresting them, and the force isn't excessive, they won't be charged in the same way.

I fail to see excessive force in Garner's case. Brown was killed in a typical self-defense situation. Neither are good cases for showing police brutality.

"Stand your ground" just means you don't need to flee if someone is trying to kill you. Which makes sense, unless you want to blame the victim for trying to save themselves. Typically, you have a duty to flee in a self-defense situation before you're able to respond with reasonable force; I say f**k that noise -- if someone steps up and tries to kill you, then screw them. Duty to flee is saying criminals have more rights than you at the commencement of the attack.

Ironically though, most self-defense situations are treated like "stand your ground" in the courts (unless there so happens to be a media agenda going on), whether the law is there or not, because screw criminals.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 9:12 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Yeah of course, lack of oxygen wasn't a factor at all :roll:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was only held around the neck for a short time, and not in a way that would damage any structures. He was on his side so he couldn't have a compressed chest.

I also recall he was breathing the whole time, and it was a heart attack later on that killed him.

We wrestled as school far harder than what was shown (I'm failing to see excessive force in this case).

Well maybe I am mistaking about that particular one, I am not the one who wrote all the articles that said he was strangled to death via choke-hold...perhaps you can link me to a more reliable article in that case.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 9:48 pm

The most I can tell:

take down was part of the cause of death (nothing about the take down was illegal, nor excessive force by law)
resisting arrest (and by extension, criminal behavior) was part of the cause of death
Garner's health was part of the cause of death

There's no way the officers can be found guilty of any criminal wrongdoing that I can see.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 1:53 pm

Dillogic wrote:
The most I can tell:

take down was part of the cause of death (nothing about the take down was illegal, nor excessive force by law)
resisting arrest (and by extension, criminal behavior) was part of the cause of death

There's no way the officers can be found guilty of any criminal wrongdoing that I can see.

They can be sued for wrongful death and I hope they are. The take down was not done properly. You don't put someone in a chokehold according to NYPD guidelines and it led to a death. Furthermore Eric Garner was not posing an immediate danger to anyone (including the arresting officers), so why did they gang up on him and do that take down? What's the emergency?

Furthermore, what would have happened if he did not resist arrest is that he would go to jail and get charged. That costs money even if the charges are later dropped. There are all kinds of consequences that happen when you get locked up. If you don't have money for a lawyer, you get a PD. They are unbelievably overworked. You would get a plea deal and get pressured to take it even if you are innocent. It's your word against the cops. I have been falsely arrested and have seen many other people get bad deals, so why trust the cops and cooperate and get screwed?

I hate to make this personal but it must be nice to live in the world you live in where you don't have to fear the cops and can trust in the criminal justice system. My experience is more like that of Eric Garner. Cops profile people. It leads to unjust outcomes including deaths. Changes need to be made to hold cops accountable.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 2:30 pm

em_tsuj wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
The most I can tell:

They can be sued for wrongful death and I hope they are. The take down was not done properly. You don't put someone in a chokehold according to NYPD guidelines and it led to a death. Furthermore Eric Garner was not posing an immediate danger to anyone (including the arresting officers), so why did they gang up on him and do that take down? What's the emergency?

Furthermore, what would have happened if he did not resist arrest is that he would go to jail and get charged. That costs money even if the charges are later dropped. There are all kinds of consequences that happen when you get locked up. If you don't have money for a lawyer, you get a PD. They are unbelievably overworked. You would get a plea deal and get pressured to take it even if you are innocent. It's your word against the cops. I have been falsely arrested and have seen many other people get bad deals, so why trust the cops and cooperate and get screwed?

I hate to make this personal but it must be nice to live in the world you live in where you don't have to fear the cops and can trust in the criminal justice system. My experience is more like that of Eric Garner. Cops profile people. It leads to unjust outcomes including deaths. Changes need to be made to hold cops accountable.

That is what I kinda figured....the only source I've heard that claims the choke hold was not excessive and did not lead to the death is the poster Dillogic, id be curious to know where they got their info.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 3:53 pm

Police in the UK are getting just as bad and, worse they are getting away with it. We recently had a case involving a severely autistic man getting called a f-wording p-word (racist) then he got shoved by the two cops. They were recorded on the radio as saying those words, many impartial witnesses saw the assault and another recording afterwards heard the officers laughing and saying how funny it was to watch the fat b-word run.

They got let off...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 2:19 pm

the people, to a person, poo-poo-ing police brutality would surely change their tune, if it happened to them. selling loose cigarettes is not supposed to be a capital offense. those bloodsucking shop owners who dropped a dime on garner will have some splainin' to do when they meet their makers. absolutely NO harm would have been done had the merchants just minded their own bloody business and left garner in peace. he was not doing any harm whatsoever.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 8:49 pm

Those are sad things I read here, people don't care what it costs to do what they want even if it means hurting others. In this world the circumstances come first, reasons are left for later.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 2:38 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
FracturedRocket wrote:
First stop all of the gang shootings and pointing guns at policemen, then we can start talking about so-called "police brutality".

So gang shootings and individuals who have pointed guns at cops...is an excuse for them to needlessly do that to citizens who aren't involved in such behavior? Just because there is gang violence and cops sometimes are also victims of it just like regular citizens doesn't magically turn police brutality and abuse of power into a non issue. Also why is it much of the time when a cop is found guilty of a crime they get a slap on the wrist compared to what a regular citizen guilty of the same crime would get?

^This. I am getting sick of hearing people claiming that there are criminals is a perfectly valid excuse for the police to essentially have free reign without any of those pesky consequences.