Why do aspie girls suffer horrible period pains?

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

during your period, you have or used to have
no pain 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
mild pain 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
some pain 20%  20%  [ 18 ]
severe pain 31%  31%  [ 28 ]
unbearable pain 33%  33%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 89

Ashley2193
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Feb 2015, 3:10 am

As long as i dont have a lot of salt during the time, i have no problem.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:46 am

I agree that I don't think this has to do with being on the spectrum.

Though, for me- cramping is variable. I tend to get "catamenial everything" though [as mentioned by my boyfriend when he was at my last GP appointment with me. Thanks, honey. ha].
So, I get an increase in neurological symptoms- seizures, migraines, neuropathic symptoms. I get cognitive issues and increased pain in my joints and muscles. I also get nausea and other GI issues.

None of these are completely out of nowhere though- it's kind of like stuff that is usually going on gets a cue from my hormones and they all suddenly try to out do each other or something.

But, because of that I am usually on depo provera, which has helped and subdued my cycle. The plan is to switch over to the implant, and it's extremely likely it will have the same effect. However, because of the timing of the shot, and switching providers and other logistics, I had started my period again since then [it's over for now to clarify, thankfully]. So, yeah- Just call me Super Catamenial Woman!

But, yeah... I don't think it has much to do with being on the spectrum, only the epilepsy/neurological stuff. Women on the spectrum tend to have a greater occurrence of neurological issues and so it may be more likely they have catamenial epilepsy or other- but that's just theory. Cramping? Not really sure. Those on the spectrum tend to have higher pain tolerance so hard to say.

00319964 wrote:
...I'm not sure on the pain threshold though. Mine is pretty high I think (didn't realize I had broken bones, always decline novocaine at the dentist even they have to do major work, tattooing felt like I was being written on with a gel pen etc).

To comment on this:

I was x-rayed and got a CT scan because of pneumonia and follow up recently. Apparently I've broken a rib. Had no idea.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 1:53 pm

B19 wrote:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4022124/

this explores related issues for women on the spectrum.

Why (seriously) do you believe that there is no relationship? I thought this study was fairly robust, the confidence limits, size and significance finding tended to indicate that women on the spectrum are at a greater likelihood of menstrual complications. It's only one study though, maybe you are more informed than me on other
information SOL.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 2:23 pm

B19 wrote:
B19 wrote:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4022124/

this explores related issues for women on the spectrum.

Why (seriously) do you believe that there is no relationship? I thought this study was fairly robust, the confidence limits, size and significance finding tended to indicate that women on the spectrum are at a greater likelihood of menstrual complications. It's only one study though, maybe you are more informed than me on other
information SOL.

Unsure who you are responding to.
I don't think there is a direct correlation to being on the spectrum.

...probably because I'm ignorant and women on the spectrum tend to get poked and prodded more about reproductive stuff like that and are more likely to report pain associated with menstruation. Theory being that they are more likely to be candid in regards to physical symptoms that other women would not be.

Don't have a study handy though, so let's just go with ignorance?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 9:58 pm

Maybe gluten intolerance? I find that my cramps are much less painful when I don't eat wheat.

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2020, 6:38 am

The pain I feel when I'm on my period varies. Sometimes, it's mild but other times, it's unbearable. The unbearableness was more frequent when I first started getting periods, but now, it's hard to peg down what kinds of cramps I will have on a particular period. They are worst at the beginning.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 12:21 pm

Hmm, I get some pain during my period, but it's only in the mild to moderate range, nothing that seems abnormal about my pain level or anything (except the one time it felt like my uterus was trying to exit my body Alien-style, it hurt so bad - but that was (so far, at least) just a one-time thing). I've always considered myself lucky on that front. What is interesting to me, though, is that I really don't get much in the way of cramping, my pain feels more like sore, overworked muscles instead of cramps.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 12:39 pm

I get maybe moderate pain, but it's not usually anything I can't handle.

Severe, debilitating pain with your period isn't supposed to be normal, but because most girls are told to keep their time of month as private and discreet as possible, they usually aren't aware of this. :(

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 5:53 pm

Before taking birth control, I had close to zero cramps despite my ridiculously heavy flow. Due to the birth control, I cramp even less than before.

I must have been pretty lucky...

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2020, 8:19 pm

Occasionally irregular cycle. There are times the cycle is as uniform as the supposedly predictable ones do.
There are times my body missed periods for several months, and there are also times that the next period happens less than 3 weeks after.

Usually mild to no cramps and pain. So far, it's nothing I could've never mind or tolerate, it also had never physically gets in my way. Occasional additional symptoms also varies from time to time.
Unpredictable fluctuations of hormonal changes. Flow is usually heavy, usually 5-7 days, rarely shorter or longer than that yet it happens.

My biggest complaint is simply the unpredictable hormonal changes that affects my functioning less favorably as the next. :x
No meds or regime being followed here. Never had a checkup with any OB before...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

hannahjrob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2020, 5:37 pm

When I first started my period at age 11, I don't remember having a lot of pain. It wasn't until a couple years later, when my periods were probably getting more regular, that I first had severe pain that couldn't even be helped with painkillers. I remember it was the day after my last day of seventh grade, and the pain just got worse and worse until I was almost vomiting. My parents took me to the hospital and they put me on morphine because I was in so much pain. After that, the same thing would happen sporadically. Some months I would be mostly okay if I took painkillers, but others, it would just get unbearable and nothing helped. It seemed to get worse throughout high school because it would happen more and more. I finally went on birth control when I was 18 and it was a lifesaver. Now I only get a period every three months, and they're so light (before I went on the pill, the bleeding was heavy) and painless that I hardly notice them.

At first, I did think I was just sensitive to the pain, but with the way it seemed to get worse over the years, I started to wonder if I actually had a physical issue causing it. My mother also struggled with severe menstrual pain, although she said hers got considerably better after she had children. She ended up being diagnosed with endometriosis after having a laparoscopy. Endometriosis is often hereditary, so there's a good chance I have it too.

Acton Bell
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2020, 8:39 am

Have always had very problematic periods, was later diagnosed with Poly-cystic Ovary Syndrome. Started at 12, my first period lasted for 8 weeks and was truly horrendous! It made the process of puberty even more traumatic than it already was. I've had at different stages very heavy, painful, irregular periods and a lot of sickness and nausea.
Had to undergo alot quite traumatic and invasive investigations over the years, failed attempts at controlling symptoms with the pill etc... had a coil fitted a couple of years back to try and sort things which was hard going at first but has alleviated things, I don't really get proper periods now which feels very strange!