Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 11:34 pm

How come its 'Taboo' to discuss people's beliefs?

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 11:41 pm

I guess it's because people have strong emotional attachments to their own beliefs, and therefore it's risky to talk about them.

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2007, 12:07 am

It does not matter how many times you tell the egg that it is a chicken, it will never know untill it finally cracks.

(At the Right Time, Under THE right Conditions, otherwise all it will ever be is scrambled eggs)

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2007, 2:32 am

people don't want to find out the things they believe in are wrong.

it's mainly because people are weak-willed, afraid, and need to be protected. it's quite sad.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

12 Mar 2007, 2:36 am

Beliefs are largely a work of fiction and people get emotional about fiction. Truth is rather boring for most people.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2007, 5:00 am

IT IS????

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2007, 9:29 am

I don't know why 'Truth' would be boring for people. The only thing I can figure out why it would be 'boring' is because they 'stopped looking for it' like most do, say for 'christianity' or 'atheism' or what have you.

"Belief" sounds more like 'believing in Santa Claus' then it does in 'reality' which is why I posed the question. I dont know why people don't challenge their beliefs. In the end, you're essentially 'lying' to yourself because you're too afraid to keep going.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2007, 12:49 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Beliefs are largely a work of fiction and people get emotional about fiction. Truth is rather boring for most people.

This is true. and it shows how immature people really are. I mean fun is a f*****g state of mind, if they want the truth to be fun they can learn to make it fun, but people don't want that because theyr stupid, lazy, selfish, inconsiderate, hypocritical animals. It's like they never age beyond 12 or 13.

earthdweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2007, 12:53 pm

Hmmm..

This just got me thinking.

If I ever talk about "beleifs", I mean that it is about having "ideas". Beleif and speculation look like two different vocabularies that has to do with judgment.

Its confusing when I think about how to explain things...

Forming a beleif (from defining beleif in some way) is like me saying that there is a seperation between mind and body. But that is more of a "hypothesis" feeling to me. But also there doesn't appear to be a real point in making hypothesis when they are not scientifically valid. Many facts in the physical sciences lead up to validating a hypothesis for people to help them realize what good it will be.

But some times people say things out of the blue because they see things from a greater complexity and so it can't be explained immediately such as the chaotic nature of the wheather - Just like thinking about "the butterfly effect". It might change someones perception of life in a more magical context.

Another example that is more of a philosophyish confusion (in forming ideas) is "Darwins theory of evolution" - saying that it is true looks like a "beleif" but this is actually a theory. From what I know, applying the theory is making a statement of this theory as a fact. A theory is not a fact. People make hypothesis to help them make decisions or whatever for an outcome - this isn't to say that it is true. Another thing related is that a theory is something that can help know what to study and how to study it. A philosophy involved with it makes it unscientific. These two systems collide when trying to form an opinion about thing... A form of intuition is based on outcome. Good and bad is not part of science. But when I talk of this, science is only objective to the point of using stastistics etc.. This and philosophy is how we can approximate that kind of stuff. This is how I understand it.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2007, 1:02 pm

snake321 wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:

This is true. and it shows how immature people really are. I mean fun is a f***ing state of mind, if they want the truth to be fun they can learn to make it fun, but people don't want that because theyr stupid, lazy, selfish, inconsiderate, hypocritical animals. It's like they never age beyond 12 or 13.

I think some don't want to be proven wrong, which is another human trait. Being wrong means that all those beliefs you had may be 'wrong' and they are afraid to realize that... Imagine if something you believed in was learned to be false? Its rough, but this is reality. Its also the best way people 'learn.' For some reason, people choose to stop learning in certain subjects. Its like learning how to add numbers up to '7' but stopping and ignoring the fact '8' and '9' still exist.

Reality is not boring, in fact, its a bit crazy. Its crazy because 'reality' is the result of everyone who 'avoids it in belief' or 'avoidance of truth.' The result of all these beliefs are war, poverty, horrible decision making (illogics), utter dependence on a flawed system, lies, hypocrisy, contradiction, ignorance, etc. All because people stopped looking for the truth. They stopped short.

John Lennon said simply as "Imagine."

I agree on on your last paragraph, for the most part. The world is an illusion unless you want to see by it. Its almost like a Matrix thing.