I'm losing my faith in the fight against US obesity

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 9:43 pm

I'm losing my faith in the private sector or market in the US on the fight against American obesity. I'm losing faith in her in general. I used to believe that the government should stay out of food cabinets and taxing junk food, but now I believe that in recent times, the government needs to step in. I really want something done once and for all that will get society to exercise and eat better. Heck, I'll even take primitivism.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 10:01 pm

Silly rabbit! It wasn't that long ago that people in the US had such a struggle to get enough to eat!

Obesity is the proof that we've solved the problem of starvation and malnutrition.
Obesity is a less immediate danger than starvation therefore obesity is a "smaller" (hehe) problem than starving.
There are no perfect solutions for anything and the imperfection here is that a very small number of extra calories can really pile up over the years.

This definitely shouldn't be micro-managed by a government that cant do anything else right.

Plus, there is no fight against obesity.
People want cake and bakers want to sell cake. Where's the battle?

Unless you are fat and want the government to fix you, then stop judging other people. Life is hard enough that you should spend your attn to your own.

If you want to see more skinny people then go look at pron.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 12:24 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
I'm losing my faith in the private sector or market in the US on the fight against American obesity. I'm losing faith in her in general. I used to believe that the government should stay out of food cabinets and taxing junk food, but now I believe that in recent times, the government needs to step in. I really want something done once and for all that will get society to exercise and eat better. Heck, I'll even take primitivism.

Yes, OBESITY, big problem, it is.

Close to one-third of school children are studied as pre-type two diabetic.

Close to half of U.S. adults are on some kind of painkiller.

Prescriptions of anti-depressants are skyrocketing among adults and children.

All of this can be attributed to a society that SITS ON THEIR BUTT, MOST OF THE DAY.

IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

Humans are evolved as foragers and foragers must move to survive.

ILLUSORY DRIVEN ABSTRACT Culture says sit and human suffer and die earlier.

It's not Rocket Science, it's just human animal 101.

The women folks who live in African countries will willingly accept the practice of female genital mutilation, as a sign of self-esteem; humans can be brainwashed into doing almost anything detrimental to their HEALTH AND well being, if it means social acceptance with the rest of the 'tribe'.

Our culture says be entertained and work by sitting still and 'we' march off to the 'gas chamber' with 'unhappy smiles', better known as funeral face.

It's one of the main reasons health costs are skyrocketing, and considering the subsidization OF such, it is truly a growing national emergency to get people OFF THEIR BUTT AND MOVING.

I CAN EAT 4000 calories a day, as on average that's how much I burn, NOW.

BUT:

When I worked as A government administrator for THE LAST five years stuck behind a computer, It almost killed my health and me, as it is NO WAY TO LIVE AS HUMAN BEING.

AND then, after that, recovering from 19 medical disorders RESULTING FROM SITTING ON MY BUTT CHRONIC STRESS AT WORK, as almost a complete shut-in with no other potential but using a computer DURING THE RECOVERY, I was happy to have that opportunity AND OPTION, but ONLY AS A SHUT-IN AND due to a requirement of work, BUT HELL NO, never as a choice, as this animal IS made to MOVE.

AT 54, 6FT AND 232LBS, I have the health of a pro-athlete, but I move like one too.

I can outdo any 20 something year old marine at my local elite military base, lifting 860LBS 12 times, in parallel leg press with free weights, as of yesterday, at that gym, where I still have privileges as a retired DOD civilian employee.

Many of them, spend a substantial part of their gym time, checking their smart phones, in illogical ways of increasing their physical health and well being.

I out-dance a crowd of 20-something year-old folks for up to four hours straight, at one of the rated top 100 dance clubs in the U.S., weekly, while OTHERS gasp for air and check their smart phones off and on.

IN general, the girls are in better shape than the boys, as perhaps the girls haven't had their butt behind a video game for years.

And finally, I dance walk a mixed marital arts and ballet style throughout all the metro area in public stores with my shopaholic wife, while my peers limp on, or sit lifelessly on mall benches, now almost at 3000 miles in my 17th month doing this, since recovery from 19 documented medical illnesses.

I am not waiting for the government, I am being the change I want to see NOW AND LEADING my whole metro area, as such, in fearless role model as REAL, AND NOT JUST TALKING THE DANCE OF LIFE, AS I DANCE LIFE EVERYWHERE I GO. :)

Sure I am passionate about this, as sitting on my BUTT with chronic stress almost killed me, and did end in 5 years of extreme living human suffering, AS LITERAL HUMAN HELL.

AND IF PEOPLE THinK they are too 'wimpy' to do it, think again, as everyone saw me as a wimp when I was young except for me, and yeah, I got the photos to prove that, AND I PROVE THEM Wrong EVERY NOW OF NOW, as they waddle through the buffet line with bellies that will not allow them to even see their feet when they waddle the walk of life.

I dance THE WALK OF LIFE, martial arts and ballet style, and Hell yes, it is incredible FUN THAT WAY EVERYWHERE I GO, as A forager for Natural Human COMMON SENSE.

And science is also now reporting that physical intelligence by way of the cerebellum orchestrating the effect and affect of positive neurochemicals and neurohormones down from brain to gut by way of vagal nerve, is THE DRIVING FORCE BEHIND EMOTIONAL REGULATION AND SENSORY INTEGRATION.

And ALL are REQUIRED FOR SUCCESSFUL HUMAN EXECUTIVE FUNCTIONING, AS WELL including human memory.

AND SCIENTIFIC EMPIRICAL data shows that folks do on average 10% better on as standard IQ test after a 1 hour exercise session as opposed to sitting on one's BUTT.

And exercise is the only human activity that will Burn off dangerous chronic high levels of stress hormones in the blood stream of human beings who are subjected to constant fight or flight stress sitting on their butt, whether it is at work, school, or behind a RPG video game.

If not, human suffering CAN BE THE EVENTUAL RESULT AND EARLIER DEATH, AS SCIENCE NOW PROVES that CHRONIC NEGATIVE STRESS MAIMS AND KILLS, through dangerous stress hormones that damage almost every bodily system of human living, from from one's heart beat to breathing the next breath of life.

And finally yes, therapists are using movement therapy for Autism too.

And all I can say ABOUT THAT is:

DUH.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 12:45 pm

If you're fat and you consider it a problem worth correcting then it's your fight against obesity, not anyone else's.
If you are fat but lack the gumption to to lose weight then oh well......
If you are not fat then you have nothing to worry about for the time being.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 12:57 pm

Raptor wrote:
If you're fat and you consider it a problem worth correcting then it's your fight against obesity, not anyone else's.

I'm not worried cause my gunS ARE BIGGER THAN your's...

:P

And that has nothing to do with not being fat, alone.

And everything to do with being human.

In other words diet IS NEVER ENOUGH TO fully be human.

And I realize you are not saying it is..

Just wanted to add that point..

Exercise is not just an idea it is A HUMAN REQUIREMENT FOR BASIC ANIMAL HOMEOSTASIS.

AND WITH THAT THERE IS NO WORRY, BUT NAH, AGAIN, DIET alone will not get one tHere as science shows now.

OH and by the way, I can lift 210 LBS with my arms on Nautilus Bicep machine at 8 reps, so that is likely the literal truth too, unless you are 'superman' too. :P

And that with my Bruce LEE Kung FU way of kicks for FREE STYLE fun, ALLOWS me no need for real life metal guns.

I spar with metal, as flesh is too weak for these feats of foot that I for one CAN do, using my fuller human potential, undomesticated, like one of our hairy ancestors called apes.

I will take a gun way from someone quicker than they can pull the trigger, and they will never see or hear me coming at 232 LBS.

But I will have to show you in person, for you to believe it. :P

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2015, 1:23 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
I'm losing my faith in the private sector or market in the US on the fight against American obesity.

Honestly, why do you even care about the choices other people are making freely?

Eat the way you want, let other people worry about their own health choices. It isn't yours nor the goverment's job to force a specific outcome. Paternalists of both liberal and conservative flavors do this all the time; they support 'choice' until someone makes the wrong choice.

Jules_Bonnot_1912
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2015, 1:49 pm

I don't think it's just a thing about what choices people make. It's more about choices people HAVE! Just read a label on a jar and explain to me everything that's in there ... you'd be surprised about the amount of crap that goes in there!
And finding a good alternative? For a lot of people there isn't one: they don't have access because it's not available. A lot of times it's more expensive because it's not mass-produced. And sometimes people barely can afford the bad stuff, let alone the good.

And then there's light-products ... how many people do actually KNOW what that stands for?

etc etc

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Jan 2015, 9:58 pm

Get rid of corn subsidies and start using actual sugar again, stop letting Big Ag and big business in general lead us around by the collar telling us what is "safe and healthy". Regulatory capture is in effect, do you really trust Monsanto and its subsidiary the FDA? Taxing food should never happen even if it is junk food as it is a regressive tax that unfairly targets the poor.

They'll make our food so bad and country so fat until they invent a real weight loss pill which they'll sell at an exorbitant price, salvation in a pill. It's not hard to believe its all according to plan isn't it?

Government has caused obesity.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 10:43 pm

aghogday wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Exercise is not just an idea it is A HUMAN REQUIREMENT FOR BASIC ANIMAL HOMEOSTASIS.

AND WITH THAT THERE IS NO WORRY, BUT NAH, AGAIN, DIET alone will not get one tHere as science shows now.

OH and by the way, I can lift 210 LBS with my arms on Nautilus Bicep machine at 8 reps, so that is likely the literal truth too, unless you are 'superman' too. :P

And that with my Bruce LEE Kung FU way of kicks for FREE STYLE fun, ALLOWS me no need for real life metal guns.

I spar with metal, as flesh is too weak for these feats of foot that I for one CAN do, using my fuller human potential, undomesticated, like one of our hairy ancestors called apes.

I will take a gun way from someone quicker than they can pull the trigger, and they will never see or hear me coming at 232 LBS.

Does anyone have a clue wtf aghogday is rambling about this time? :roll:

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 11:42 pm

I suspect government has contributed to obesity in the first place with a flawed Food Pyramid or other guidelines plus getting involved in food industry subsidies.

Also, I think many people who go to the gym and really try give up because of getting poor direction in exercise and are sabotaged by misguided diet recommendations.

I've heard some people argue that American diet is a mess from to much emphasis on Grains. Add in things like High Fructose Corn Syrup and you have a real mess. Probably, many people who gain weight have a derailed metabolism that needs to be addressed before pounds will come off.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 11:58 pm

Raptor wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Does anyone have a clue wtf aghogday is rambling about this time? :roll:

That has to be the weakest attempt at a personal attack I have received here, yet, and nah, no attempt has been successful yet.

Congratulations and have a nice day.

Other than that it's just Health 101, as that is one my college majors, out of three, per Bachelor's of Science.

In other words, I have the credentials to speak to this issue, also as a lifetime special interest, in ways of XXtreme strength training, dance, and martial arts, of which one at least I have been named expert in, per a Kung FU FREE style of martial arts, by a military training expert for elite forces in the military.

That's all.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 12:06 am

Vegetables and fruits, grains, lean meat, water/tea/coffee/milk/juice, one or two cookies per day, I eat these, and they don't cost a lot.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 3:01 am

Simply eating less doesn't cost a lot either.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 10:50 am

A major issue is with public education system in the U.S.

The focus remains on mechanical cognition, so humans can be good little COGS IN THE MACHINE to create the comforts of culture.

However, in doing so, without the truest fullest potential of physical intelligence the COGS are failing too, in human misery in ways of physical intelligence that science does now show drives the quantity and quality in/regulating human emotions, sensory integration, memory/executive functioning, and OVERALL HUMAN CREATIVITY AND PRODUCTIVITY, AS WELL.

A MAJOR INFLUENCING FACTOR ON THIS thingy called Autism is this environmental influence, however politically incorrect it may be to suggest that in a society that is always looking for a pill FOR A quick fix to everything.

A recent study suggested that that by the year 2025, half the children in the U.S. will be diagnosed with Autism, and all I can say about that is live and learn, and if common sense never rules again that does seem to be the general direction modern culture is going, with the influence of mechanical cognition over the physical intelligence that DOES DRIVE EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE, SENSORY INTEGRATION, EXECUTIVE FUNCTION/MEMORY, CREATIVITY, AND OVERALL PRODUCTIVITY IN HUMAN BEINGS.

MY diagnosing professional and therapists that helped me through the most disabling aspects of Autism ALL AGREE WITH ME, AND ARE THANKING ME FOR LEADING THEM, TO HELP THEIR OTHER PATIENTS WITH WHAT I HAVE LEARNED IN THE DANCE WALK OF LIFE.

THE PROBLEM with public school systems is that physical education, overall, has been science and not art. It bores the hell out of creativity in learning sports instead of learning movement in a creative free flowing instinctual, innate way, as our ancestors did foraging the hunt and the sharing of environmental 'good's for basic subsistence in life.

If only the science of physical education would allow all children to STIM free, physical intelligence, emotional intelligence, sensory integration, executive/function, AND CREATIVITY/PRODUCTIVITY COULD ONCE AGAIN flourish in true human health among humans instead of cogs of Zombie Robots walking a stiff way of lifeless life without the potential imagination and creativity for true innovation of fullest potential of human life.

I 'cured' THE MORE DIFFICULT issues OF RECIPROCAL SOCIAL COMMUNICATION AND MOTOR FUNCTIONING/EXECUTIVE FUNCTIONING ISSUES OF my autism this way through remediation of symptoms, and all my MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS AGREE I AM THE ONE WHO IS CORRECT ON THIS ONE, AT LEAST.

AND BACK to physical education, at least where I live it is not even required after the 9th year of secondary school education.

Sitting STILL a hormone fueled human being all day in a room in seat without even the potential to move a body is SHEER HUMAN INSANITY AND THAT IS ALL per the most basic of human common sense.

THERE IS A HELL OF A LOT THE GOVERNMENT CAN DO TO IMPROVE THIS SITUATION, just at the level of public education, IF IT JUST GROWS SOME COMMON SENSE.

If not, there WILL BE CONSEQUENCES AS THERE IS NO FOOLING MOTHER NATURE OR HUMAN NATURE WHEN IT COMES TO THE 'DANCE OF LIFE', WHICH IS MOST DEFINITELY, AS SCIENCE NOW SHOWS, REQUIRED FOR ALMOST ALL AREAS OF HUMAN POTENTIAL and simple balance in enjoying life.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 12:01 pm

aghogday wrote:
That has to be the weakest attempt at a personal attack I have received here, yet, and nah, no attempt has been successful yet.

If it had been a personal attack you'd know it.

My reply to the OP was:

You come in with all kinds of gibberish including a few mentions of guns, for whatever reason. Gibberish because it in no way relates to my post.
Whatever, I'm not going to take the time to go back and forth on this with you.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 1:35 pm

Raptor wrote:
aghogday wrote:

If it had been a personal attack you'd know it.

My reply to the OP was:

You come in with all kinds of gibberish including a few mentions of guns, for whatever reason. Gibberish because it in no way relates to my post.
Whatever, I'm not going to take the time to go back and forth on this with you.

YOU KNOW GUNS.. LIKE YOUR SPECIAL INTEREST, 'clint' and your big MAGNUM 357 styled AVATAR.. AND YOU know the RAZZ smile like a joke.. WITH MY BIG BICEPS THAT ARE ALSO KNOWN AS GUNs.. and the bebe RIFLE Gun i was a toting on my shoulders as my REAL LIFE Avatar.. I put up just for fun and laughs....

Lighten up dude, trust me, IF YA WILL, it'll LIKELY do ya good..;)

In other words it was just a joke, can ya chill...;)

And as far as personal attacks go they are nothing to 'superman', either in myth or real life.....

So bring 'em on.. if ya like, I care not.... at least in my opinion... SO GO AHEAD.. 'Make My Day'... :P

And when you attack AND INSULT MY intelligence I WILL BITE BACK with "I'll BE BACK" wit.. :P

..NO matter how weak the attempt is, as you just did in evidence per the record as it exists....