When should you have access to a lot of money?

Page 5 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 10:35 pm

eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Why do you just assume people will be incompetent and older people cannot do a good job? You do not seem to have confidence in the abilities of others.

Why do you have the completely irrational idea that you can start work at 40 and be as productive as you would have been if you had started at 20?

There may be some chance of that at the most menial jobs, but the greater the job calls for experience and knowledge, the less chance there would be. It would be pretty much impossible for some jobs.

I know for a fact you could even be better at forty and you certainly can manage people better, be on time for work, more focused.
It's easier to create things, too, and to keep organized.

If you don't start until you are forty, you are going to be completely useless at managing people.

And I don't believe for a second that if someone never had to be a responsible adult until they were 40, that they are going to be on time for work, focused, creative, or organized.

Not if you have a partner and started a family..that's a really good way to learn how to organize and manage...
Again, you associate maturity with experience and they are separate things. Maturity comes with age and helps you be responsible. If you are immature and given too much responsibility, it can be a recipe for failure.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 10:51 pm

The economy is already taking a hit from millennials. They are the laziest, most entitled, underemployed generation in history. If anything, we should be disciplining young people more, not spoiling them.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 9:24 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Studies have suggested, young people who travel around are actually more worldly and better able to cope. It helps them understand their surroundings better and gives them an edge. It could be psychologically healthy to travel around and get a feel for the world while younger.

For a year (sometimes called gap year), not for 20 years. This year of travel is also financed either by parents (for those who can afford it, which isn't many) or by the young people themselves either via savings or via getting a job at the place(es) they travel too. It isn't a loan against future earnings.

Travel while working is arguably a better way to learn the skills you cite than traveling while not working. Endless vacation won't teach you much but being a bartender/waiter/au par/teacher etc. in another country really will.
http://thoughtcatalog.com/matthew-kepne ... the-world/

Quote:
Finding work overseas is not like finding a job in the United States. It’s a much more informal process, and if you remember you are looking for a job rather than a career, and stay flexible with your options, you’ll be able to find work anywhere. Whole economies and industries are built around employing travelers. Heck, I don’t think the Australian economy would survive without the labor backpackers/travelers provide!

Lots of great ideas for work travel and the young people who do it will learn skills. But that isn't what you are advocating. You are advocating not working and assuming the skills will somehow just develop by the aging process.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 9:26 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Not if you have a partner and started a family..that's a really good way to learn how to organize and manage...
Again, you associate maturity with experience and they are separate things. Maturity comes with age and helps you be responsible. If you are immature and given too much responsibility, it can be a recipe for failure.

So now people are supposed to wait until 40 to start a job and not only are they borrowing money against future earnings for themselves, they are borrowing enough to support children too? What a nightmare scenario for their future selves.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 10:23 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Why do you just assume people will be incompetent and older people cannot do a good job? You do not seem to have confidence in the abilities of others.

Why do you have the completely irrational idea that you can start work at 40 and be as productive as you would have been if you had started at 20?

There may be some chance of that at the most menial jobs, but the greater the job calls for experience and knowledge, the less chance there would be. It would be pretty much impossible for some jobs.

I know for a fact you could even be better at forty and you certainly can manage people better, be on time for work, more focused.
It's easier to create things, too, and to keep organized.

If you don't start until you are forty, you are going to be completely useless at managing people.

And I don't believe for a second that if someone never had to be a responsible adult until they were 40, that they are going to be on time for work, focused, creative, or organized.

Close to one third of all school age children according to scientific study are pre-type two diabetic.

Close to half of all Americans are on some kind of pain killer.

Rates of prescriptions of anti-depressants among adults and children is sky rocketing.

The society is sick, as for the most part FOLKS have forgotten how to even be human, per ways of health and well being, as simple as being able to move from point A to point B, IN GRACE, comfortable in one's own skin.

Humans are evolved for intermittent gratification.

Instant gratification kills, and there is heavy documentation to support that everywhere one looks.

The reward is in the HUNT FOR SUBSISTENCE, NOT IN THE goal.

People who TRULY re TIRE simply learn and DO something new FOR CHALLENGE TO PUT NEW RUBBER ON THEIR WHEELS.

NO CHALLENGE, per intermittent gratification, makes sick humans, and there is no doubt about that in FAT KIDS (as a result of lifestyle and not innate issues).

THE ONLY REASON there is a longer statistical lifespan for Americans now, is because of modern sanitation, antibiotics, and other medical procedures that are KEEPING PEOPLE ALIVE, either in surgical procedures or PRESCRIPTION DRUGS.

STRESS IS CUMULATIVE OVER A LIFETIME.

I WAS HALF DEAD BY THE TIME I reached early retirement after 31 years of work at age 47.

AND hell no, if I had to work now, I WOULD STILL BE SICK FROM STRESS, AT least AT A department head level working for the government wearing a myriad of different hats multi-tasking a 'zillion' things in both mechanical and social cognition all at the same time.

I worked three part time jobs per archaeology research associate, book store clerk, and janitor with a more than full load of getting through college eating peanut butter sandwiches.

If I focused on physical fitness then like I do now, I might HAVE lifted 1500 LBS with my legs instead of the 860 LBS I DO NOW; particularly, considering I have the testosterone level of a 75 year old man NOW as measured in my most recent doctor's visit on record at 277.

The WILL I HAVE NOW, COMES FROM THAT WILL I HAD THEN.

EXCELLENCE IS NOT IN THE GOAL IT IS IN THE PRACTICE OF THE JOURNEY.

AND it WILL not happen when one is not meeting EXTREME CHALLENGES AND overcoming them as our ancestors HAVE DONE for thousands of years.

When I GOT SICK from Stress and could not meet challenges anymore it was the most horrifying thing of all to NOT BE ABLE TO OVERCOME CHALLENGES FOR LIFE.

ALL THE fun I have now comes from challenge and ABSOLUTELY NONE OF IT FROM ALL THE MONEY I'LL EVER NEED.

I WORKED for close to minimum wage right out of college at a menial job handing out shoes at a Government Bowling Center as per my Autism I had no output skills still, after 3 college degrees, in oral presentation and writing skills.

The Bowling Alley taught me that, OVER THE COURSE of two decades progressing from shoe handler to MANAGER.

AND THEN on up to replacing a department head for the Military, at times, working toe to toe with a Captain of a Military Installation.

And hell no, school did not touch my advances in emotional intelligence through a life of HARD KNOCKS.

ONLY THE REAL WORLD OF WORK DID THAT FOR ME.

AND YES IT WAS TOUGH, BUT I WOULD HAVE NEVER eventually EXERCISED COMFORT in my own social skin without it.

The only reason I have the confidence and strength I have now is through the challenge, dark, and pain of life, OVERCOME.

AND nah, not all folks can do it.

No one yet has proven that the GOD of Mother Nature is Fair.

So 'we' work to live, or we simply die, either through a lack of subsistence OR a lack of internal spirit IN WILL driving us forward IN NOW FOR simple human survival, the way it's been done for all animals to date.

There is no FREE RIDE, NOT EVEN IN FREE.

AND THERE IS NO ESCAPING THE MASTER OF MOTHER NATURE TRUE.

Those who attempt to fool her, simply live in misery and despair, eventually, as may be the case.

So with that said, Britney illustrates this well, in the following video. ;)

And yeah, she has LITERALLY BEEN WORKING HER BUTT off, since her little girl days at Disney.

And that is the ONLY REASON, FOR WHERE SHE'S AT NOW, through all her struggles and success!

Yeah when the flesh truly hits the earth there IS NO FREE RIDE IN THIS LIFE!

NO MATTER WHAT. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by aghogday on 14 Jan 2015, 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 10:35 am

Janissy wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

So now people are supposed to wait until 40 to start a job and not only are they borrowing money against future earnings for themselves, they are borrowing enough to support children too? What a nightmare scenario for their future selves.

People borrow money against themselves all the time in the form of credit and most don't even make enough to live without it. They can't afford to take care of their basic needs. You are busy critiquing me but you offer no better alternatives. People always want to criticize others but they won't come up with anything else.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2015, 11:53 am

Syd wrote:
The economy is already taking a hit from millennials. They are the laziest, most entitled, underemployed generation in history. If anything, we should be disciplining young people more, not spoiling them.

Really? The laziest and most entitled? Unlike, say, the Boomers, who enjoyed an entire generation of comfort and prosperity, won by their parents and mortgaged on their children and grandchildren? The ones currently in political ascendency, and who've dictated policy for years now? Does the financial crisis ring a bell? Who do you think was responsible for that one, now?

Try again.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 12:08 pm

That's right, the Boomers pretty much said "turn on, tune in and drop out" in the immortal words of their icon, Timothy Leary and a lot of them spent their young adulthood smoking weed while dissing authority.
They had the idea it's not fun to be young and overworked and it's actually much more difficult for someone who hasn't got the maturity to have responsibility than for someone who is mature. With maturity, there is ease to organize and perform tasks without stressing or wigging or making huge mistakes then being all freaked out over them. I often wish I could be like I am now at 17 because I am sooooo much more together than I was then. Life would have been so much easier for me. I didn't get it together because of any responsibility or experience. My brain just grew up and it took time. You can demonize me all you want for that but it won't change the fact the only antidote for my incompetence was time itself.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 12:18 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Janissy wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

People borrow money against themselves all the time in the form of credit and most don't even make enough to live without it. They can't afford to take care of their basic needs. You are busy critiquing me but you offer no better alternatives. People always want to criticize others but they won't come up with anything else.

We already have something else and it works orders of magnitudes better than what you are suggesting could possibly work.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 12:20 pm

eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Janissy wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

We already have something else and it works orders of magnitudes better than what you are suggesting could possibly work.

Uh, that's only your opinion but you are entitled to it and I am, mine.

Meanwhile we have people living on credit, struggling to pay their bills, living paycheck to paycheck with nothing saved, younger workers pitted against the older ones, older people who cannot afford basic necessities, more talk about social security failing every year. Yeah sounds like what we have now is positively perfection.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 14 Jan 2015, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 12:21 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
That's right, the Boomers pretty much said "turn on, tune in and drop out" in the immortal words of their icon, Timothy Leary and a lot of them spent their young adulthood smoking weed while dissing authority.

The hippies were actually a very small minority.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 12:26 pm

eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Not exactly. The thing with the hippies, like any youth movement, most people grow out of it to some extent and figure out what they must do to survive while a few stragglers remain the same for their entire lives and never really figure it out. So it seems like a small minority because a lot of them weren't hardcore hippies that long. They eventually discovered it wasn't very much fun unbathed, drugged out with no money all the time and the threshold became crossed and many of them decided it wasn't for them.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 12:43 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Not exactly.

They were.

There were some places where they would congregate such as some universities and in some cities such as San Francisco, California and Taos, New Mexico. If you spent all your time in those places, you might think that there were more than there really were.

In the vast majority of towns and cities around the country, you would likely never see a hippie except on tv. I don't know if I ever saw any real hippies at all back then.

Keep in mind that the haircuts and popular attire at the time was worn by far more than just the hippies.

By the way, Timothy Leary was associated with LSD, not marijuana.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 12:50 pm

eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Not exactly.

They were.

There were some places where they would congregate such as some universities and in some cities such as San Francisco, California and Taos, New Mexico. If you spent all your time in those places, you might think that there were more than there really were.

In the vast majority of towns and cities around the country, you would likely never see a hippie except on tv. I don't know if I ever saw any real hippies at all back then.

Keep in mind that the haircuts and popular attire at the time was worn by far more than just the hippies.

I disagree. The rock music industry, which was largely founded and became what it was because of Boomers and Hippies says different. It was very lucrative and it pretty much became this huge industry due to the Hippies and counter culture. This suggests it was indeed quite a widespread movement, and especially around college campuses all over the US and in parts of Europe.

Before the sixties and seventies, rock music existed but it wasn't as lucrative and you didn't see those screaming fans in quite as great a number. The Beatles became hippies at one point. It was quite the fashion to be a hippy.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 12:57 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Not exactly.

They were.

I disagree. The rock music industry, which was largely founded and became what it was because of Boomers and Hippies says different. It was very lucrative and it pretty much became this huge industry due to the Hippies and counter culture. This suggests it was indeed quite a widespread movement, and especially around college campuses all over the US and in parts of Europe.

Before the sixties and seventies, rock music existed but it wasn't as lucrative and you didn't see those screaming fans in quite as great a number. The Beatles became hippies at one point. It was quite the fashion to be a hippy.

I understand it now. All you know about hippies is from tv.

If rock music depended on hippies to survive, it would never have existed.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 1:02 pm

eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Not exactly.

They were.

I understand it now. All you know about hippies is from tv.

If rock music depended on hippies to survive, it would never have existed.

And that's why so many people in the audience had long hair, flairs, smoked weed? Because not that many hippies were in their audience? Just a small amount and a lot of clean cut kids?
Most the clean cut ones didn't show up at rock concerts. Dunno how many bought records. There were multitudes of long haired pot smokers at concerts that much is true. I went to concerts as a teen, though the hippies were before my time, and there was pot smoke in every nook and cranny and it used to give me migraines, lol. So yeah, a lot of people were clutching those hippy ideals decades after.

And most the people at the arenas were teenagers and young adults so it was pretty much a youth thing. I didn't see any older hippies there, so I guess they either didn't like the newer bands much or they were busy going to see the older ones...

My guess is they might have been saving up their money for Willie Nelson.

My point is, many people do grow out of it so it only looks like a small amount when really it's just a lot of young people but it's a good amount of that demographic, get what I am saying?

Are you one of those people who believes hardly anyone likes Lady Gaga?