Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2014
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,452

14 Jan 2015, 9:14 pm

Why do Christians always tell everybody that in their Heaven, we have no physical-like bodies and we are like ghosts? I even was told by a Christian that he thought it was a "logical" idea. I wish more Christians and others will revolt over the idea that we can't eat, enjoy weather, enjoy our passions, have sex, have individuality, and all the other material things of this Earth. I don't care about God's rules. And when I say material, I am not saying that I am some hedonist. Yet this is what all Christians I ever talked to argue of me.

Now, I have found some other ideas about afterlife that sound more appealing. I'm glad I started to consider the other ideas. I'm adamantly opposed to a place where reasons to have physical fun is rendered obsolete. Christians have become zombies. I have a passion for good-looking women though, and I discussed this once in the Love and Dating forum for my preferred physically attractive mate. I'm also lonely though, so at the same time, I want it to be a relationship and not a prostitution.

Sorry if my posts tend to tangent on and focus on my obsessions but I don't know how to put people on ignore.



TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2014
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,314
Location: Canada

14 Jan 2015, 9:25 pm

Many Christians believe that their relationship with God and their "heavenly treasures" are more important than anything on Earth. Of course, most still enjoy the material things on Earth (with some limits).

Of course, no one knows what the afterlife will be like; even dedicated Christians do not know for sure what heaven will look like and what will happen there. You are free to believe what you like.



theoyella jukebox
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jan 2015
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 17

14 Jan 2015, 11:17 pm

Because they view the body as a capsule for our true "ethereal" bodies. And they see everything that comes with having a physical body as distracting from the trueness of the spirit.


_________________
“The cost of sanity in this society, is a certain level of alienation”
― Terence McKenna


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,097
Location: temperate zone

15 Jan 2015, 4:47 am

K_Kelly wrote:
Why do Christians always tell everybody that in their Heaven, we have no physical-like bodies and we are like ghosts? I even was told by a Christian that he thought it was a "logical" idea. I wish more Christians and others will revolt over the idea that we can't eat, enjoy weather, enjoy our passions, have sex, have individuality, and all the other material things of this Earth. I don't care about God's rules. And when I say material, I am not saying that I am some hedonist. Yet this is what all Christians I ever talked to argue of me.

Now, I have found some other ideas about afterlife that sound more appealing. I'm glad I started to consider the other ideas. I'm adamantly opposed to a place where reasons to have physical fun is rendered obsolete. Christians have become zombies. I have a passion for good-looking women though, and I discussed this once in the Love and Dating forum for my preferred physically attractive mate. I'm also lonely though, so at the same time, I want it to be a relationship and not a prostitution.

Sounds like you would prefer the Muslim afterlife which apparently is more "earthy". You get to have 49 virgins, and all of that.

Sorry if my posts tend to tangent on and focus on my obsessions but I don't know how to put people on ignore.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 48,887
Location: Stendec

15 Jan 2015, 7:20 am

Because it seems that most Christians view their physical bodies as "dirty", "flawed", and "sinful", so of course they would imagine that perfection would include being disembodied spirits.

But that does not stop them from enjoying the pleasures of their flesh in this life, does it?

:wink:


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,682

15 Jan 2015, 10:10 pm

Boy, what a macabre belief.

But truly it goes to show that humans will believe almost anything including reality is not the realest deal, if promised a better deal somewhere down the road.

When a whole culture is suffering from starvation and subjugated through illusory fears for control, it's a potential better sounding LET'S MAKE A deal.

When a culture is working and people are healthy and connecting, the ZOMBIE CULT does not work nearly as well.

So people revolt and begin to see a living GOD 'right' NOW in a kingdom of LIVING Heaven here on the only place we have as home, MOTHER EARTH.

AND TRULY that is about what is described as the TRUE LIVING REALITY OF HEAVEN IN NOW, as described in the GOSPEL OF THOMAS, SUGGESTED to be words of Jesus that ARE OF COURSE censored out of the OFFICIAL VERSION OF THE New Testament THAT THE EARLY Roman Empire Rulers and Catholic leading Cohorts agreed upon to RULE THE ROOST, over others in a empty promise other than the pain and misery they, THE COMMON FOLK, currently suffered then.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/thomas.htm

At least from this potential resource of words, linked above, attributed to Jesus, he was more of a YOGI leaning Classical Pantheist, OR ALMOST indistinguishable from CARL SAGAN, GIVEN the advantage of Carl's vast opportunity and success with modern education.

But to get someone to understand this, is like turning the Titanic around at the last minute, if this is their entire life's brainwashing by religion and culture.

Truly it's sad, as overall, this time 'right' now for those who know how to manipulate culture for their advantage, instead falling to all the potential disadvantages, is the best potential of REAL LIFE HEAVEN that any species has as far as the human eye can currently see, with the aid of science, to date NOW.

WOULDN'T IT BE wonderful if the message from birth is THIS CAN BE THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN NOW if one learns how to make it JUST THAT, AND SHOWED THEM HOW, STEP, BY STEP, how to potentially do it, with an open ended way of each unique person's creative way to GET ThERE NOW TOO in the heaven of now.

BUT NAH.. most people will likely just shake their head in disbelief, AND NOT FAITH, IN THIS REAL ATTAINABLE STATE OF HUMAN BEING.

SO yeah, nothing's changed THAT much; the Jews of then are just the Christians of now, overall, and the similar can be said of other religions too.

ENLIGHTENMENT IN TRUTH IS THE BEST DEAL OF ALL NOW, AS TRULY THE TRUTH WILL SET ONE FREE but only if 'THEY', believe the TRUTH CAN, AND EVEN POTENTIALLY EXISTS DIFFERENT, TO SET ONE FREE, AS OPPOSED TO words as old as 3500 years, revised as such, as they are now.

Both change and the REALITY OF DIFFERENT terrifies many folks WHO ARE INHERENTLY AND ENVIRONMENTALLY not open to NEW EXPERIENCES.

SO chances are there will always be the dark and light of human minds seeing NO further than the past AND WELL IN NOW, AHEAD OF THEN.


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Nov 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 965
Location: Orange County, CA

16 Jan 2015, 2:10 am

I've heard some of the strangest conceptions of Heaven in my years of studying Christianity. Some have said that we turn into energy and enter another dimension, while others have said that it's a physical place like Earth with paved roads and buildings (wait, there's asphalt and concrete in Heaven? What poor angels got stuck on construction duty? Some paradise!).

There's no definitive answer as to what "Heaven" is; if it exists, it's beyond our perception. If anything, it's likely a transcendental existence where such concepts as food and weather are non-existent. Even as a student of religion, I don't see the point of worrying too much about an afterlife; our time (at least in this incarnation of our beings) is spent here on Earth and we, Christians included, are obligated to work on making the most out of that, helping others and preserving the environment. I think it's ridiculous to put all your stock in an afterlife and not in your present life; that's like letting your current house go to waste and disrepair because you believe that you'll be moving into another house in the future.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,594
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

16 Jan 2015, 7:47 pm

Hm. I was always told in church that we'd all be bodily resurrected. So I'd assume that we'd be more or less physical, but in perfected bodies - or at least that's with us Lutherans.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,097
Location: temperate zone

17 Jan 2015, 9:23 am

naturalplastic wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:
Why do Christians always tell everybody that in their Heaven, we have no physical-like bodies and we are like ghosts? I even was told by a Christian that he thought it was a "logical" idea. I wish more Christians and others will revolt over the idea that we can't eat, enjoy weather, enjoy our passions, have sex, have individuality, and all the other material things of this Earth. I don't care about God's rules. And when I say material, I am not saying that I am some hedonist. Yet this is what all Christians I ever talked to argue of me.

Now, I have found some other ideas about afterlife that sound more appealing. I'm glad I started to consider the other ideas. I'm adamantly opposed to a place where reasons to have physical fun is rendered obsolete. Christians have become zombies. I have a passion for good-looking women though, and I discussed this once in the Love and Dating forum for my preferred physically attractive mate. I'm also lonely though, so at the same time, I want it to be a relationship and not a prostitution.

Sounds like you would prefer the Muslim afterlife which apparently is more "earthy". You get to have 49 virgins, and all of that.

Sorry if my posts tend to tangent on and focus on my obsessions but I don't know how to put people on ignore.

Sounds like you would prefer the Muslim afterlife which is apparently more "earthy"- 49 virgins, and all of that.

( :twisted: the first time my response got embedded INSIDE the quote box instead being placed after the quote box. Dumb site!).



aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,682

17 Jan 2015, 9:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:
Why do Christians always tell everybody that in their Heaven, we have no physical-like bodies and we are like ghosts? I even was told by a Christian that he thought it was a "logical" idea. I wish more Christians and others will revolt over the idea that we can't eat, enjoy weather, enjoy our passions, have sex, have individuality, and all the other material things of this Earth. I don't care about God's rules. And when I say material, I am not saying that I am some hedonist. Yet this is what all Christians I ever talked to argue of me.

Now, I have found some other ideas about afterlife that sound more appealing. I'm glad I started to consider the other ideas. I'm adamantly opposed to a place where reasons to have physical fun is rendered obsolete. Christians have become zombies. I have a passion for good-looking women though, and I discussed this once in the Love and Dating forum for my preferred physically attractive mate. I'm also lonely though, so at the same time, I want it to be a relationship and not a prostitution.

Sorry if my posts tend to tangent on and focus on my obsessions but I don't know how to put people on ignore.


Sounds like you would prefer the Muslim afterlife which apparently is more "earthy". You get to have 49 virgins, and all of that.


Sounds like you would prefer the Muslim afterlife which is apparently more "earthy"- 49 virgins, and all of that.

( :twisted: the first time my response got embedded INSIDE the quote box instead being placed after the quote box. Dumb site!).


All 'they' have to do is move to the United States..
and 'they' can have an unlimited amount OF 'THAT'
in virtual HEAVEN REALITY pornography 'UNdressed' as such.

So wait, maybe 'we' are living in that kind of heaven NOW.

So wait, maybe THIS IS HEAVEN.

AND 'SOME' FOLKS are living 'over tHere' in hell.

Perhaps 'they' were all 'terrorists' at one point in 'another' life..

(REFERENCE KARMA)

AND THAT IS WHY 'they' do not get access to 'what' 'we' have over here..NOW...

Hmm.. the possibilities go on, AND ON, in an infinite Universe alone.....ALLONE....

Oh, and by the way, I fixed your post for you.

The software is only as intelligent as the person who operates it, according to the technical literature that GOES WITH IT. ;)

UNFORTUNATELY, humans most often, have to figure that on tHEIR OWN when it comes to thEir own software and hardware, per culturAL environmental factors and innate humanity.

Culture, science and/or religion, presently do, NOT DO an ACCEPTABLE and SATISFACTORY JOB TO GET THAT JOB DONE.

IT ALL FAILS MISERABLY, AS THE FACTS THAT EXIST NOW TO DO SHOW, in REAL human terms of misery and suffering.

YES, THE misery and suffering that still occurs JUST IN THE United States, in scientific terms, of one-third of school age children who are now pre-type two diabetic, approximately 50% of adults on some kind of pain medication, and skyrocketing prescriptions of anti-depressants for adults and children, for just three examples of human disease, pain, and suffering, exacerbated by a culture, science, and religion that can STILL find NO WAY CURRENTLY TO FIX THIS real PAIN AND SUFFERING OF human being MISERY.


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 673
Location: Australia

17 Jan 2015, 4:25 pm

Sorry to disappoint but the soul or spirit is connected to the biochemical processes that occur in the brain, so when you die, that's it. There is no more life left in you. Your molecules get recycled into other life forms which continue until the earth dies and there are no more life forms left. Feel free to disagree if you're religious. The moral is look after your body because it's the only body you have. Be good and kind to others because they deserve respect. The world is a wonderful place and it takes more than one's life time to appreciate it's beauty.



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,637
Location: Houston, Texas

18 Jan 2015, 9:14 am

I'm a Christian, and this is the first I've heard of this.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2014
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,060
Location: Melbourne, Australia

18 Jan 2015, 10:22 am

Skibz888 wrote:
...our time (at least in this incarnation of our beings) is spent here on Earth and we, Christians included, are obligated to work on making the most out of that, helping others and preserving the environment...

The only obligations we have are those imposed on us, by ourselves or by others.

Other than that, I agree. Make this life good, for ourselves, our kids, and for others.

As for what Christians say... people want an afterlife, so religion sells an afterlife, and each has their own version.
A bit like the struggle between smartphone versions, but with fewer apps.


_________________
I'm not blind to your facial expression - but it may take me a few minutes to comprehend it.
A smile is not always a smile.
A frown is not always a frown.
And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.


Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Nov 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 965
Location: Orange County, CA

18 Jan 2015, 2:33 pm

Narrator wrote:
The only obligations we have are those imposed on us, by ourselves or by others.


True, we're not really obligated to do anything, but I see willful ignorance and direct inaction to be inherently immoral, if you catch my drift. Spending one's life in wasteful, hedonistic gluttony is really no different than, say, seeing someone get injured or mugged right in front of you and choosing not to help. Altruism and philanthropy are obviously not exclusive to Christianity (and yes, it's rather lacking in some spots), but I vehemently believe having a distinct lack of such is absolutely incompatible with maintaining a Christian lifestyle and morality.



Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2014
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,060
Location: Melbourne, Australia

18 Jan 2015, 9:00 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
I vehemently believe having a distinct lack of such is absolutely incompatible with maintaining a Christian lifestyle and morality.

I agree that you have to be consistent, to have integrity. Some people need religion, for such motivation, and others don't - like that saying about good people will always do good.

The thing about morality and being consistent is this.... whose morality?

For example, when I was a Christian, I believed fornication was wrong. My actions were inconsistent with my beliefs. I no longer believe fornication is wrong, so my actions and beliefs now have greater integrity. As a result, I feel more at peace with who I am than when I was a Christian.


_________________
I'm not blind to your facial expression - but it may take me a few minutes to comprehend it.
A smile is not always a smile.
A frown is not always a frown.
And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.


Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Nov 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 965
Location: Orange County, CA

18 Jan 2015, 10:07 pm

I guess you can say that I use religion as motivation for my altruistic endeavors, but it's not as if I'm merely following a set of rules solely to appease a deity or secure myself a vague position in an even vaguer afterlife...it's still for myself and it's what I enjoy doing. Had I converted instead to atheism or a non-Abrahamic religion, it's likely I'd still have found my way into volunteer work, but it was still specifically my religious conversion which provided the catalyst what rebooted my long-dormant sense of charity as well as providing an easier platform to find opportunities to act upon it.