was right to jail him 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
wrong, but not child abuse 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
child abuse 71%  71%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 17

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 12:12 pm

an eight years old autistic boy jailed for hitting a teacher.

http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines ... =phone&c=y

this child will be traumatized for the rest of his life. Would they have put the teacher in jail if she hit the kid?

ElsaFlowers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2015, 1:07 pm

Oh gosh that's appalling 8O Are we living in the dark ages! I'm sure it was just a reflex action on the boys part. I know I would have struggled not to lash out at someone touching me in such a way and he's just an 8 year old boy, its so sad :(

Jules_Bonnot_1912
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2015, 1:08 pm

I wouldn't call it child abuse. The kid got a very rough treatment, which seems to be out of proportion and certainly not fitting for a child with a disability and his age. I really don't get it that the police would do such a thing ... is that American? No child should be treated like this ...

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:27 pm

Yes it does look like abuse to me, the child had their constitutional rights violated for a start in my view.

I hold a view that schools should not be constitution free zones, if the school want to get the criminal justice system involved then they need to provide the kid with a lawyer. As this would make school discipine impossible for primary school kids then the school needs to accept that they can not go down this "criminal justice" route.

To my mind it looks like a school to prison pipeline, but now designed for the preteen child.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:40 pm

Sounds like child abuse to me. The fact that it happened in the Bible Belt doesn't surprise me one bit, either. While I have serious issues with the litigious culture we live in, I hope the parents are successful with their lawsuit.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 11:16 pm

Yes it's abuse. In a just world it'd be a hate crime as well.

For a silver lining though, this boy got an early lesson in the harsh truth that the police are our enemies, predators who make a living feeding people like us to a for-profit carceral machine. He may come through this wiser for the experience.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 1:33 am

RhodyStruggle wrote:
Yes it's abuse. In a just world it'd be a hate crime as well.

For a silver lining though, this boy got an early lesson in the harsh truth that the police are our enemies, predators who make a living feeding people like us to a for-profit carceral machine. He may come through this wiser for the experience.

I've seen some of the things cops do... Sure, the cops are your friends... And it's the tooth fairy that comes into your room at night.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 1:42 am

It's stupid to call the cops in on just about anything when it's not entirely necessary. Yes, if they get called in on an "assault" someone's probably going to jail, right or wrong, and the cops won't be bothered with the moral question of it.
On the other hand, if the school hadn't called the cops they might be opening themselves up to potential litigation. By calling the cops in they have at least filled that square in and have it on record.
It's just the world we live in...... :(

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 5:45 am

Found another article:

link

I don't think its abuse, I don't know if it's appropriate without more information.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 12:16 pm

It's pretty absurd to call the cops for an eight year old. Aside from how sh***y it is for the boy, it's also a complete waste of resources for the government.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 11:16 pm

My daughter has assaulted a number of teachers, children and aides when she was younger (around 5-7). I'm lucky that Australia has strong laws protecting kids. I'd hate to think what would have happened if she was in this school.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 2:25 am

felinesaresuperior wrote:
an eight years old autistic boy jailed for hitting a teacher.

http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines ... =phone&c=y

this child will be traumatized for the rest of his life. Would they have put the teacher in jail if she hit the kid?

What the hell in tarnation happened to schools giving out detention or taking away recess or keeping a kid in the office or calling home to tell the parents what their kid did at school and let them deal with it at home? I assume schools started to go this far because they got sick of parents not disciplining their kids because they rely on the school to teach their kids but kids needs consistency so they need their parents to enforce the rules at home too but now innocent families have to suffer because of these other parents and I would be pissed if my kid got hauled off in hand cuffs because I got lumped into a group with those lazy parents instead of calling me like they used to do back in the olden days.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 10:35 am

It's okay for grownups to hit children but not vice versa.... sarcasm

Prison is no place for an autistic child who was probably acting out of reflex... prison is really no place for anyone.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 2:50 pm

We are living in a country that has gone insane.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 9:22 pm

heavenlyabyss wrote:
It's okay for grownups to hit children but not vice versa.... sarcasm

Prison is no place for an autistic child who was probably acting out of reflex... prison is really no place for anyone.

"He would not take his feet off the wall and so the teacher reached down and pushed his feet down off the wall and Colton swatted and hit the teacher in the face," his mother Brittany Granito said.

That seems like a reflex action to me.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 4:53 am

Basso53 wrote:
We are living in a country that has gone insane.

We are living in a world that has gone insane.