Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 2:01 pm

I don't. My SO makes a sound like "Kukuku" all the time. Is this a vocal stim? My father had a very similar sounding stim/tic. What is your vocal stim like?

ralphd
Raven
Raven

17 Jan 2015, 2:32 pm

I clear my throat a lot. I became aware of how much I was doing it when I was watching my ~1yro son making similar sounds; he was mimicking me.

It's not purely a vocal stim though since I have mild vasomotor rhinitis with post-nasal drip.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2015, 2:38 pm

I used to have words I would say and sounds I would make as a kid, but now I only vocally stim if there's a bad sound. I hum to myself.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 2:44 pm

russiank12 wrote:
I used to have words I would say and sounds I would make as a kid, but now I only vocally stim if there's a bad sound. I hum to myself.

I hum a lot. The vibration is soothing. I've never thought of it as a stim though.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 9:27 pm

I definitely have vocal tics. When I clear my throat that's a tic.

I guess I stim if you consider saying phrases under your breath just because they sound cool to be stimming.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 9:34 pm

"EhhhHhHh...".

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 9:44 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
"EhhhHhHh...".

So...would I be right in thinking this is a throat clearing stim?

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 9:48 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:
"EhhhHhHh...".

So...would I be right in thinking this is a throat clearing stim?

Nope. Just when I'm nervous or upset, it's a sound I tend to make. Not unlike "uhh..." or "um...", though I have plenty of those, too.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 10:39 pm

I don't but my kids do. I have one kid who does a tuneless humming, and another who does loud ones and a variety including "ahyayayayaya" "ahdadadadadada", "dihdididididi", "washawashawasha"... Also he will spell the same word aloud for an hour or so nonstop and I've been told that's a stim. When he was about 6, he used to spell Graco every time we were in the car because that's the type of car seat he had (and it said Graco on it).

Sylveon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2015, 11:43 pm

I often make a kind of cooing/purring sound, I don't really know how to explain it. I also make clicking sounds in the back of my throat and sometimes a phrase will get stuck in my head and I will want to repeat it frequently.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2015, 1:07 am

I have many, but the one that gets me looks in public is an under my breath "bababababababa".

I breath in and go "babababababababa" I breath out and go "babababababa"

Its partly noise, but its only loud enough for me to hear it unless you happen to be standing in line in front of me at Walmart. It's also partly vibration. Breaks up all the "outside" noise into something a bit more manageable for me.

At home I make all kinds of vocal stims. Just because its stimmy and fun. Usually Zerberts/raspberries and whistling, meowing, growling.

mel113
Raven
Raven

18 Jan 2015, 2:08 am

Not sure if this is really a vocal stim (maybe someone can tell me) but when I'm really sad or upset I start singing.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 2:10 am

I do vocal slides, just slide up and down in my vocal range. I don't remember exactly when I started doing it, but probably 3 or 4 years ago. Not loudly, but loud enough I guess. When I was 18 a girl kind of laughed and said, "Are you doing vocal slides?" I usually do it when I'm in a situation where I'm not allowed to sing. I sing significantly more than I speak pretty much every day.

I also like seeing what kinds of weird noises I can make with my voice, it's just fascinating to me :)

Edit: I forgot another one, sometimes make a clicking noise in my throat. I used to also do this weird thing when I breathed in in the back of my throat, around when I was 11 I think. It's hard to describe. Almost like a soft snoring noise, but I was awake and doing it on purpose. Sometimes I do it still, but not nearly as much since people thought it was weird, and it made me sound like I was having trouble breathing, which I wasn't.

- Sherlock Holmes

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 5:11 am

I stammer but that isn't really a vocal tic.

I also hum to myself, make clicking sounds with my tongue against my palate and clear my throat a lot. My brother who is probably on the spectrum but undiagnosed and not in need of diagnosis, sniffs compulsively which can be irritating.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 4:40 pm

Raleigh wrote:
russiank12 wrote:

I hum a lot. The vibration is soothing. I've never thought of it as a stim though.

Me too. For me it's less about the vocal vibration and more about the noise; it creates a barrier similar to white noise that blocks out unpleasant stimuli and makes me feel safer.

I also repeat lines or phrases from TV and movies that I like over and over again, and sometimes, during episodes of heightened anxiety, I'll keep repeating the same sentence, either mine or someone else's, until I feel better and can move past it.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!