Im 19 and I still watch cartoons/read comics

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

brett0007
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jan 2015, 11:38 am

I prefer animation over live action because to me its less awkward and its easyer to understand the emotion for me when the face is simplified.

I'm not ashamed of it but I am Terrified that I'm branded a wierdo or perverse for liking a medium generally aimed at kids.

Am I just being paranoid?

thedaveman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2015, 4:31 pm

Quote:
I'm not ashamed of it but I am Terrified that I'm branded a wierdo or perverse for liking a medium generally aimed at kids.

Brad Bird disagrees. Animation is just a style of art, not a genre or something for a certain demographic.

Scissor...me
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jan 2015, 11:25 pm

Why do other people have to know? You don't have to tell them. Plus everyone has something they watch thats really stupid so they don't really have to think. Just like my step father watches Futurama, bob's burgers, ugly Americans and other stupid stuff like that all the time :jester:

Sarah xx

VladimierNorton
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Feb 2015, 1:08 am

There's nothing to be ashamned of watching cartoons at your age. My dad is 60, and he likes to watch cartoons ranging from anime to winx club. I am in college and I like to watch cartoons. The adult ones like family guy and Aqua teen hunger force, and even the child ones like Ultimate Spiderman and Digimon. Watch what you love. If other people don't like it, that's their problem

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 1:58 am

I never saw anything wrong with watching cartoons or animated movies as an adult. I pretty much grew up watching cartoons and Disney movies and still do today. I saw Bolt, The Princess And The Frog, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, and Frozen and enjoyed them. I also enjoy many kinds of Anime and just a year ago got into My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Also, I think people forget how many animated things have more mature and complex moments. The Incredibles, Up, even something like MLP can have some intense moments like in the most recent season where it made it seem like one of the characters had actually died. That's some grown-up stuff for a show targeted at kids. So yeah, there's nothing to be ashamed of in liking animation. In all honesty, one of my life-long dreams is to become a successful writer (amongst other things) and have some of my stories made into hand drawn animated movies.

SeeingEyeButterfly
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Feb 2015, 10:28 pm

Dude, I'll be watching All Dogs go to Heaven when I'm old and my hair is grey and/or falling out, you're never too old for cartoons. People who say that are just boring conformists who think growing up is about owning a suit, working as white collar slaves every 9 to 5, getting married, buying a house with a white picket fence, and having 2.5 kids to repeat that poor excuse of a life.

“If you treat an individual as he is, he will remain how he is. But if you treat him as if he were what he ought to be and could be, he will become what he ought to be and could be.” - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

dragonzatch

04 Feb 2015, 11:27 pm

There is nothing wrong with that! My dad still likes to watch Cartoon Network and he's pushing 30.

There's no mandatory age where you have to fully become an adult and only watch daytime talk shows while slowly sipping black coffee and making polite conversation. Live how you want with whatever makes you happy! :D

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 5:59 pm

I consider the substance to be more important than style here.
The problem with cartoons is the subject matter is eschewed for the sake of an attention-grabbing color scheme; this is for the specific audience it caters to.
I admit to watching something like DBZ or Digimon now and then, kiddy as it is, especially Digimon, for nostalgia purposes and a few "adult" easter eggs thrown in once in awhile. Even Arthur, honestly, seems quite substantial to me. It isnt very "deep", per se, but I can appreciate it for being as wholesome and intelligent as it is for a children's program

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 1:04 pm

I don't like cartoons but I am into kids music like Gummibar and Crazy Frog.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2015, 6:24 pm

I have never EVER met a person who shames another person for liking cartoons or reading comic books. I do it myself and I'm 19. My mom loves Nickelodeon and she's almost 50! Don't feel bad for it because there is literally NOTHING wrong with it. Do what makes you happy (unless that's hurting other people, but this isn't soo....ya).

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 6:40 pm

I love cartoon movies; my favourites are Frozen, Tangled, and The Tale of Despereaux. I often like cartoons better than live-action movies; I find they're often easier to understand. My friend is 17 and he likes Power Rangers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. There's nothing shameful about it; like what you like, never mind anyone who cares!

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 6:45 pm

I'm 46 and still watch cartoons and read comics. I also love graphic novels. Persepolis is a huge favourite. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, or that it's any indication of maturity or immaturity.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 8:56 pm

russiank12 wrote:
I have never EVER met a person who shames another person for liking cartoons or reading comic books. I do it myself and I'm 19. My mom loves Nickelodeon and she's almost 50! Don't feel bad for it because there is literally NOTHING wrong with it. Do what makes you happy (unless that's hurting other people, but this isn't soo....ya).

My mom loves Nickelodeon too. Well, Avatar: The Last Airbender to be specific.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2015, 10:50 pm

Kenya wrote:
russiank12 wrote:

My mom doesn't really like "magical" or supernatural shows, but she liked Back at the Barnyard xD

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 11:42 pm

russiank12 wrote:
Kenya wrote:
russiank12 wrote:

My mom doesn't really like "magical" or supernatural shows, but she liked Back at the Barnyard xD

Wasn't that originally a movie?

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 4:34 pm

I also like comic books. :D