Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

NTxLS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2015, 10:25 am

Greetings From the GREAT Country of TEXAS,

Have been registered for some time, do not remember when it took place, this is my first post on HERE. Hold membership on about 55 forums related to Computers, AntiVirus software, AntiMalware, and many other.

Have followed, some what, about Prof. Temple Granden and John Elder Robison plus read Mr. Robison's book "Look Me in the Eye", purchased about 2004, because that is one feature I have and a few other. Feel there maybe some other issues I have that may exclude me from the 'Aspie' possibility. Still am interested in learning some more about this 'Asperger's Syndrome' as it is not a disease, handy crap, or any other title given by the Medical People of the World. IMHO it is a FEATURE that has not a comparison in any way, shape nor form.

After reading Mr Robison's book mentioned above and found it to be somewhat similar to my self with the issue with the eyes of other people. Still today at age 75 still do not like looking another directly to their eyes. My Mother used to tell me, 'the eye is a window to the soul' and never wanted to look threatening to another's soul. Still very uncomfortable with that. As John Robison was and is Electronics person so am I, my Father started teaching me about Electronics when about six (6) years old and I built my own portable battery operated radio using miniature glass tubes with the chassis made of wood at about age ten (10). Finally was hired as an Apprentice Electronics Technician about 1968 with the Department of Defense and went on to learn about computers and control systems for them and expanding to hydraulics, pneumatics, mechanical and electrical systems. Maintaining ninety three 93 computer controlled test stands for the Unified Fuel Control for the F-15 aircraft. That is only a small portion of my career.

Thank you for reading my message and hope to learn more about myself while here . . .

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 10:39 am

I haven't heard of "miniature glass tubes." But, I suspect that they are the 2-inch variety as opposed to the 3- or 4-inch variety. I used to remove the backs from radios and amplifiers, and stare at the colors that the tubes emitted. Hehe.

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

NTxLS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2015, 12:31 pm

AspieUtah,

That was back in the late-late 40s and before the diode was presented to the public. They are all glass, except for the pins and internal parts, the batteries were an 'A' and 'B' which were both larger than my radio. NOT very portable but was an accomplishment for me at that age. The tubes were about 5/8" to 3/4" diameter and about 3/4" to 7/8" tall. They usually would get rather warm. Had gotten to the point when graduating H/S could repair most any TV, Radio even those radios in cars. Did do some stereos but some of them had transistors and diodes.

I had old Phillips radio, with standard size tubes, to listen to when going to bed and my Mother or Dad would come in and turn it off thinking I was asleep and I would turn it back on listening to Country Music. A couple days later had modified the dial light so I could turn it off so they did not know the radio was on. Had a seperate switch for just the light.

Thank you for the 'Welcome' and reading my post . . have a friend's computer that is need of restoring to NORMAL, if that can be accomplished . .

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 1:07 pm

NTxLS wrote:
...That was back in the late-late 40s and before the diode was presented to the public. They are all glass, except for the pins and internal parts, the batteries were an 'A' and 'B' which were both larger than my radio. NOT very portable but was an accomplishment for me at that age. The tubes were about 5/8" to 3/4" diameter and about 3/4" to 7/8" tall. They usually would get rather warm. Had gotten to the point when graduating H/S could repair most any TV, Radio even those radios in cars. Did do some stereos but some of them had transistors and diodes.

I had old Phillips radio, with standard size tubes, to listen to when going to bed and my Mother or Dad would come in and turn it off thinking I was asleep and I would turn it back on listening to Country Music. A couple days later had modified the dial light so I could turn it off so they did not know the radio was on. Had a seperate switch for just the light....

Yeah, my dad let me use his shortwave radio from the late 1940s which used the big tubes, and later, as a movie projectionist, many of the cinemas at which I worked had amplifiers that used very big tubes. I remember the cobalt-blue, lime-green and purple colors the tubes exhibited in the dark. The radiated heat was welcomed in the winter months. Hehe. I understand that old tubes (if they still work) fetch a nice price.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 1:56 pm

Hey NTxLS welcome. :sunny:

NTxLS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2015, 2:23 pm

RoadRatt,

Thank you for this message, as you have probably read the posts you should be up to speed on myself. If I may ask, what is the average age of those that post here? Just curious . .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 10:24 am

Probably 20's-30's, though older and younger are by no means rare.

I'm 54, by the way.

NTxLS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Feb 2015, 10:54 am

kraftiekortie,

Thank you for the reply and HONESTY.

Myself, 75 and still going strong, a few aches and pains, but; that goes with Mature Seniority yet not the most senior.

Have seen some interesting UserNames being used . . The Flag is in memory of my Mother, Kamloops, BC, Canada my username derived from the fact I am a Texan and still live here . .

Last edited by NTxLS on 02 Feb 2015, 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 10:56 am

Yep......some of them are great, great, and clever puns.

Like: MissUnderstood.