These anti vaccine people really get to me

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

03 Feb 2015, 5:34 pm

I agree. Their ignorance is simply astounding! I would rather have autism than die an excruciating death because of the nescience of hebetudinous parents.

Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 6:12 am

goldfish21 wrote:
I believe it's a combination of both neurological differences & poor digestive health. I say this because I've done the diet/detox/probiotics thing myself over the last couple years and have reduced my ASD and other symptoms by ~95% and have been back to work and life. I'm literally living a second life for it and have been sharing my story here on WP for the last year - whether people here believe it or not.

So, I don't blame others for suggesting you work on your physical health and see if it benefits your mental health. If all you've done is refuse to explore and try the idea, then you have not proven that it won't work for you.

It's a proven fact that improving physical health and nutrition impacts mental health positively but it doesn't dictate weather or not one is autistic.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 10:35 am

I am not "anti-vaccine," but I don't rush out to get mine done, and I never line up for the latest ones out.

Why? The FDA DOES NOT watch out for the consumer anymore. There is a well-documented history with additives and vaccines, and if I recall correctly, the vaccine makers are protected from liability if someone is harmed by their product.

Yeah, that vaccine might have an adverse effect in 1 out of 200,000 cases, but for those who are that 1, it sucks and they get no help or restitution.

I'm for getting vaccinations that are the "core" for herd immunity...after I do my "due diligence" to ensure if there are questions I should ask, I know to ask before accepting the shot. I do not advocate going for "new" vaccines until after it's been out a few years and we have a better picture of real-world side effects and not what the manufacturer "cherry picked" for FDA approval.

There may be a basis to mandate vaccinations that prevent diseases that have significant mortality rates. Diseases that can be prevented by lifestyle choice (e.g., HPV) or do not have significant mortality rates (e.g., influenza) should never be forced upon someone.

Shauna88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2015, 12:06 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I believe it's a combination of both neurological differences & poor digestive health. I say this because I've done the diet/detox/probiotics thing myself over the last couple years and have reduced my ASD and other symptoms by ~95% and have been back to work and life. I'm literally living a second life for it and have been sharing my story here on WP for the last year - whether people here believe it or not.

So, I don't blame others for suggesting you work on your physical health and see if it benefits your mental health. If all you've done is refuse to explore and try the idea, then you have not proven that it won't work for you.

I can not afford to eat a fancy diet. I am actually "food insecure" and there are days where I opt out of eating.

There is no supplemental assistance program in Canada and food banks are not government funded so they're under stocked and in my area they don't even exist.

My typical diet is like an apple and a a salad.

Fast food is even unaffordable. One mcdonalds meal with a burger, fries and a coke will easily cost you over 12 bucks here in Canada. And the government limits and taxes the hell out of what they deem unhealthy.

I have been starving for years.

Mpregangel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2015, 1:00 pm

I don't know what all causes autism but I was always strange. I couldn't be held facing anyone, only swings would get me to stop crying, I rarely slept, etc. I was never that normal little baby. This was even before I had MMR shots. I think some children's issues aren't obvious until later on or that some parents just don't realize it.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 2:39 pm

Shauna88 wrote:
I can not afford to eat a fancy diet. I am actually "food insecure" and there are days where I opt out of eating.

There is no supplemental assistance program in Canada and food banks are not government funded so they're under stocked and in my area they don't even exist.

Fast food is even unaffordable. One mcdonalds meal with a burger, fries and a coke will easily cost you over 12 bucks here in Canada. And the government limits and taxes the hell out of what they deem unhealthy.

I am very sorry to hear that you don't have enough food. That is very serious.

I wish we had our own self-advocacy, user-run Autism Spectrum networking groups which could tap into various resources and in part provide direct services, including well-run and respectful food banks.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 3:22 pm

Shauna88 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Where in Canada do you live?

As for a "fancy diet" - I can't afford a truly fancy diet, either. Basic proper nutrition is all I, or anyone, Needs. When I was broke, I spent nearly 100% of my earnings on food & medicinal herbs/oils to improve my health. Now that my income is higher, I spend a much lower % of it on food. But yeah, not having enough money/resources to eat every day is a rough spot to be in.

Supplemental assistance programs do exist in Canada.. but, afaik, only for those on government assistance already. Someone I know needed to eat a higher protein/lower carb diet due to IBS (I think) & welfare (in BC) provided an additional ~$60-1xx/month for food after a doctors note was provided. But if you're working and barely making ends meet then you're correct, I don't think there is any sort of additional supplemental help with food costs in Canada.

Apples and salad can be healthy.. but not if that's a daily thing. Too much sugar from apples & obviously not enough protein or other nutrients. I know protein can be costly compared to carbs, but there are at least inexpensive sources of protein: eggs, canned fish, protein shakes (I drink Hemp protein, mostly), hemp seeds (bought in bulk online, not grocery store prices), nuts, seeds, fish, the occasional chicken.. one doesn't have to have a steak budget in order to eat plenty of protein. But obviously A budget is still required.

Fast "food" isn't food lol. That $12 could buy you a carton of eggs, some brown rice, and a few cans of salmon. MUCH healthier nutrition value per dollar than wasting it on empty calories at McDonald's.

I don't know what your actual food budget is, so please don't think I'm picking on you with this - it's just an example:

Some people say they "can't" afford to eat healthier and "need" to spend their money on things that fill their belly.. like Mr. Noodles, fast food, and other cheap carbs. In reality, on a limited budget, one cannot afford to waste any of their food money on things that don't provide maximum nutrition per dollar (or penny!) spent. It's healthier & a better use of funds to buy fewer healthier groceries that will fuel your body and brain longer and better than it is to buy a large amount of junk type high carb food that fills you up but does nothing to fuel or heal your body. Also, I've seen many people spend just as much money on junk carbs and fast food as it costs me to eat chicken breasts, fresh herbs, salad & quinoa - especially if they're spending $12 on McDonald's meals. I could buy enough healthy groceries to cook up 3-5 meals for $12, maybe even more depending on what I was eating. Sometimes it's not a matter of a lack of funds, but simply a lack of knowing how to spend that money to get the most nutritional bang for your buck.

Shauna88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2015, 3:49 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Shauna88 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Where in Canada do you live?

As for a "fancy diet" - I can't afford a truly fancy diet, either. Basic proper nutrition is all I, or anyone, Needs. When I was broke, I spent nearly 100% of my earnings on food & medicinal herbs/oils to improve my health. Now that my income is higher, I spend a much lower % of it on food. But yeah, not having enough money/resources to eat every day is a rough spot to be in.

Supplemental assistance programs do exist in Canada.. but, afaik, only for those on government assistance already. Someone I know needed to eat a higher protein/lower carb diet due to IBS (I think) & welfare (in BC) provided an additional ~$60-1xx/month for food after a doctors note was provided. But if you're working and barely making ends meet then you're correct, I don't think there is any sort of additional supplemental help with food costs in Canada.

Apples and salad can be healthy.. but not if that's a daily thing. Too much sugar from apples & obviously not enough protein or other nutrients. I know protein can be costly compared to carbs, but there are at least inexpensive sources of protein: eggs, canned fish, protein shakes (I drink Hemp protein, mostly), hemp seeds (bought in bulk online, not grocery store prices), nuts, seeds, fish, the occasional chicken.. one doesn't have to have a steak budget in order to eat plenty of protein. But obviously A budget is still required.

Fast "food" isn't food lol. That $12 could buy you a carton of eggs, some brown rice, and a few cans of salmon. MUCH healthier nutrition value per dollar than wasting it on empty calories at McDonald's.

I don't know what your actual food budget is, so please don't think I'm picking on you with this - it's just an example:

Some people say they "can't" afford to eat healthier and "need" to spend their money on things that fill their belly.. like Mr. Noodles, fast food, and other cheap carbs. In reality, on a limited budget, one cannot afford to waste any of their food money on things that don't provide maximum nutrition per dollar (or penny!) spent. It's healthier & a better use of funds to buy fewer healthier groceries that will fuel your body and brain longer and better than it is to buy a large amount of junk type high carb food that fills you up but does nothing to fuel or heal your body. Also, I've seen many people spend just as much money on junk carbs and fast food as it costs me to eat chicken breasts, fresh herbs, salad & quinoa - especially if they're spending $12 on McDonald's meals. I could buy enough healthy groceries to cook up 3-5 meals for $12, maybe even more depending on what I was eating. Sometimes it's not a matter of a lack of funds, but simply a lack of knowing how to spend that money to get the most nutritional bang for your buck.

I have never eaten at McDonald's and I don't eat junk food.

I don't have any food budget because I don't have a job! I am 25 and have never been employed. I don't qualify for disability (Ontario does not recognize an ASD as enough of a disability). My income is zero.

You're from Vancouver so I have no doubt you're fairly well off and able to support yourself.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 4:26 pm

Shauna88 wrote:

I don't have any food budget because I don't have a job! I am 25 and have never been employed. I don't qualify for disability (Ontario does not recognize an ASD as enough of a disability). My income is zero.

You're from Vancouver so I have no doubt you're fairly well off and able to support yourself.

That's wonderful that you've never eaten at McDonald's! I can't say the same. I used to work there when I was a teenager.

Ah, I see. How do you get by w/o an income at all? Also, I don't know if BC recognizes ASD as a disability for benefits or not - but if you're unable to work and unable to get yourself to a level of functioning where you can support yourself, it may be worth exploring if other provinces will provide you with welfare & then move. Just a thought. Then you'd at least have SOME income to support yourself on until a time where you might be more self sufficient in the future, depending, of course, on your capabilities.

Actually, I'm originally from my mom.. :P but yes, born in Vancouver. And I wouldn't make such a judgement about people from Vancouver. MOST people here are V E R Y working class poor - paycheque to paycheque and in debt, because it is VERY expensive to live here. We have the second LEAST affordable real estate on the face of the planet, next to Hong Kong. Average people do not earn much money here at all & spend nearly all of it on housing and transportation costs, food/clothing etc. The average Vancouverite is just barely scraping by. Yes, there are also a lot of very wealthy people here - but I am not one of them. I don't have debt and can afford to eat, but I am not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. I cannot afford to buy an apartment here never mind a house & my income is below average. I can, however, as you say, support myself. I pay cheap rent, drive a beater car with 463K kms on it, and only spend money on food basically, allowing me to still save some money each month.

Shauna88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2015, 4:46 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Shauna88 wrote:

That's wonderful that you've never eaten at McDonald's! I can't say the same. I used to work there when I was a teenager.

Ah, I see. How do you get by w/o an income at all? Also, I don't know if BC recognizes ASD as a disability for benefits or not - but if you're unable to work and unable to get yourself to a level of functioning where you can support yourself, it may be worth exploring if other provinces will provide you with welfare & then move. Just a thought. Then you'd at least have SOME income to support yourself on until a time where you might be more self sufficient in the future, depending, of course, on your capabilities.

Actually, I'm originally from my mom.. :P but yes, born in Vancouver. And I wouldn't make such a judgement about people from Vancouver. MOST people here are V E R Y working class poor - paycheque to paycheque and in debt, because it is VERY expensive to live here. We have the second LEAST affordable real estate on the face of the planet, next to Hong Kong. Average people do not earn much money here at all & spend nearly all of it on housing and transportation costs, food/clothing etc. The average Vancouverite is just barely scraping by. Yes, there are also a lot of very wealthy people here - but I am not one of them. I don't have debt and can afford to eat, but I am not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. I cannot afford to buy an apartment here never mind a house & my income is below average. I can, however, as you say, support myself. I pay cheap rent, drive a beater car with 463K kms on it, and only spend money on food basically, allowing me to still save some money each month.

Most people from Vancouver that I have met have been extremely well off. The low income people have mostly moved to Surrey I hear as the rent is less? I have no idea how you're getting by in such an expensive city.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 5:14 pm

Shauna88 wrote:
Most people from Vancouver that I have met have been extremely well off. The low income people have mostly moved to Surrey I hear as the rent is less? I have no idea how you're getting by in such an expensive city.

The fact is that MOST people from Vancouver are broke - even if they appear to have wealth.. mortgages, car loans, credit card debt - they're broke. There ARE very wealthy people here, too. We have Canada's wealthiest AND poorest people, basically. Vancouver literally has the poorest postal code in Canada in the DTES where there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of homeless people/junkies. Then there are also multimillionaires and some billionaires. But the average Vancouverite doesn't earn much money & is broke after paying rent/transportation/food etc - very very paycheque to paycheque. The people you have met have likely travelled to Ontario from Vancouver, and if they have a travel budget they're likely a little more well off.. so of course you won't meet very many broke Vancouverites travelling around the country. You are right though, there IS a lot of wealth in this city... but it's the vital few vs. the trivial many. The majority are just working class paycheque to paycheque people. A small minority are wealthy. And the wealth disparity between them is higher than ever and growing, like it is in major cities all over the world.

I live in Surrey & pay very cheap rent to my parents and commute to work in Vancouver in a 1990 Honda civic with 463k kms that's now worth about 50 bucks since I smashed it a couple times in December when I slid on the ice. I make it by being ULTRA frugal. I only spend money on things I Need, rarely things I want. I've become extremely frugal and focused on savings/investments vs. material wants. That's how I'm making it here.

Some of my friends are quite well off, but most are in debt and just go to work and do their thing, rinse and repeat.

Shauna88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2015, 5:44 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Shauna88 wrote:

The fact is that MOST people from Vancouver are broke - even if they appear to have wealth.. mortgages, car loans, credit card debt - they're broke. There ARE very wealthy people here, too. We have Canada's wealthiest AND poorest people, basically. Vancouver literally has the poorest postal code in Canada in the DTES where there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of homeless people/junkies. Then there are also multimillionaires and some billionaires. But the average Vancouverite doesn't earn much money & is broke after paying rent/transportation/food etc - very very paycheque to paycheque. The people you have met have likely travelled to Ontario from Vancouver, and if they have a travel budget they're likely a little more well off.. so of course you won't meet very many broke Vancouverites travelling around the country. You are right though, there IS a lot of wealth in this city... but it's the vital few vs. the trivial many. The majority are just working class paycheque to paycheque people. A small minority are wealthy. And the wealth disparity between them is higher than ever and growing, like it is in major cities all over the world.

I live in Surrey & pay very cheap rent to my parents and commute to work in Vancouver in a 1990 Honda civic with 463k kms that's now worth about 50 bucks since I smashed it a couple times in December when I slid on the ice. I make it by being ULTRA frugal. I only spend money on things I Need, rarely things I want. I've become extremely frugal and focused on savings/investments vs. material wants. That's how I'm making it here.

Some of my friends are quite well off, but most are in debt and just go to work and do their thing, rinse and repeat.

Shame on those foreign investors planting their money here and driving the cost of living and realistate to astronomical limits :x

Yes a lot of people are commuting from Surrey to Vancouver. Even doctors and lawyers as realistate is so high even the wealthy can not live there.

Most of Vancouver (excluding the east side) has become a playground for the rich.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 6:21 pm

Shauna88 wrote:
Shame on those foreign investors planting their money here and driving the cost of living and realistate to astronomical limits :x

Yes a lot of people are commuting from Surrey to Vancouver. Even doctors and lawyers as realistate is so high even the wealthy can not live there.

Most of Vancouver (excluding the east side) has become a playground for the rich.

Yep, foreign investors have driven prices up big time and will continue to. And yep, even doctors & lawyers can't afford to buy houses in the city and so many commute from the suburbs. Houses still aren't cheap in Surrey, just cheaper. Although there's a wide price range.. $400K for a crack shack in the ghetto in North Surrey, or a multimillion dollar estate closer to the beach/US border in South Surrey.

Even the East side now. Condos/apartments can be had for ~$300K still, but a detached house in East Vancouver on a standard 33' wide lot that's a teardown that needs to be bulldozed and replaced will run you approximately $1M. Not too many working class wage earners out there that can afford to drop $1M on a building lot.

Yep, it most certainly has become a playground for the rich... Vancouver is now a bit of a "resort city" to the world's rich. It's like Vancouver is the world's Whistler.

Ah well, I still get to enjoy the views, the mountains, the ocean & beaches, the forests etc for free! :D This place has a magical way of making you feel rich just by it's surroundings. Even on my low income I still get to appreciate and enjoy this place just the same as any multimillionaire - I just can't afford to spend big $ on things. Still, almost all of the things I truly enjoy doing & experiencing cost very little to no money at all so it's not that big of deal that I'm not wealthy here.

Shauna88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2015, 6:36 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Shauna88 wrote:

Yep, foreign investors have driven prices up big time and will continue to. And yep, even doctors & lawyers can't afford to buy houses in the city and so many commute from the suburbs. Houses still aren't cheap in Surrey, just cheaper. Although there's a wide price range.. $400K for a crack shack in the ghetto in North Surrey, or a multimillion dollar estate closer to the beach/US border in South Surrey.

Even the East side now. Condos/apartments can be had for ~$300K still, but a detached house in East Vancouver on a standard 33' wide lot that's a teardown that needs to be bulldozed and replaced will run you approximately $1M. Not too many working class wage earners out there that can afford to drop $1M on a building lot.

Yep, it most certainly has become a playground for the rich... Vancouver is now a bit of a "resort city" to the world's rich. It's like Vancouver is the world's Whistler.

Ah well, I still get to enjoy the views, the mountains, the ocean & beaches, the forests etc for free! :D This place has a magical way of making you feel rich just by it's surroundings. Even on my low income I still get to appreciate and enjoy this place just the same as any multimillionaire - I just can't afford to spend big $ on things. Still, almost all of the things I truly enjoy doing & experiencing cost very little to no money at all so it's not that big of deal that I'm not wealthy here.

I am well aware what's going on not only in the west but in central Canada. Do you know that members of the Saudi royal family own a luxury condo in the Marilyn Monroe towers in Mississauga? This is the family that funds such lovely organizations as the ISIS and the Taliban. Like the Mega Rich Hong Kong investors they're allowed to just waltz in here. The immigration department is so corrupt and the bogus "point system" seems to only apply to decent people wanting to immigrate here but they can never make the cut. While the filthy rich and criminals are free to flood in.

This is is getting way off topic, but I just had to vent on that. I hate the fact that we're being bought out.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 10:57 am

Add Hillary Clinton, her family's physician and even Barack Obama to those "anti vaccine people" who really get to you.

DailyCaller.com wrote:
A doctor who was profiled by The New York Times for his close personal and professional relationship with Bill and Hillary Clinton has expressed skepticism about vaccines and touted research that found a link between childhood vaccinations and autism.

Dr. Mark Hyman most recently expressed those skeptical views in a book he co-wrote with Robert Kennedy Jr. titled: "Thimerosal: Let the Science Speak."

...In 2008, both Clinton and then-Sen. Obama told the anti-vaccination group Advocates for Children’s Health Affected by Mercury Poisoning that they supported the removal of thimerosal from all vaccines. (RELATED: Hillary Clinton Wanted To Investigate Link Between Vaccinations And Autism [ http://www.dailycaller.com/2015/02/02/h ... ccinations ])

DAILYCALLER.COM: Clinton Family Doctor Is A Vaccination Skeptic (February 4, 2015)
http://www.dailycaller.com/2015/02/04/c ... on-skeptic

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 3:48 pm

Might you ask a local church if they provide foodbank items? And I mention this as a good agnostic myself!

And a reputable church will not insist that you believe a certain way before helping. If someone strikes up a conversation when delivering groceries, I'd probably recommend keeping it on the brief side. And if they ask where you go to church or invite you to an event, maybe a brief "maybe, we'll see" or to a more direct inquiry maybe a "I kind of do my own thing, thank you." And you might be able to think of better deflecting statements than these.