Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Shauna88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2015, 10:28 pm

I have been thinking about this for years. When I first went to seek diagnosis (initially for Asperger's) back in 2006 at 16 the organization I was working with in order to get an assessment noted my speech as "odd".

That was one of the traits that stood out to everyone. Monotone voice and odd prosody. I did have a rhythm going at times but it was an unusual one. I have heard that this is VERY typical of Autism.

My voice is still monotone at times but as I got older I began to sound a little more expressive and I definitely developed more of a Canadian accent as time went on. I don't sound totally "dead" anymore and people don't comment on my voice as being odd like before.

Does anyone have issues with voice?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 12:24 am

My voice is atypical, but it's not monotonous.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Layla93
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Feb 2015, 1:40 am

I talk oddly. I have much more of a southern accent then where i live plus i have a hard time controlling the pitch and volume of my voice.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 1:59 am

Almost always monotone.
Often dead or lacking in emotion, which most people describe as depressive.
No accent.
Rhythms often inappropriate or misread.
I've often been told that I speak too softly and often mumble.
:(

Last edited by olympiadis on 05 Feb 2015, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 2:08 am

I have issues with appropriate volume—sometimes I speak too loudly, other times too softly. As for my accent, I've lived in California my whole life, but others have told me that I sound like I come from elsewhere in the US. One person told me I have "no accent."

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 2:40 am

I am not entirely sure how my voice really sounds...I don't really recall any particular comments about it. I know sometimes people think I am expressing something I am not, like someone might think I sound irritated or something when I'm not....And I know I tend not to express a ton of enthusiasm for anything in my voice. But yeah to be honest much of the time I am simply not aware of that sort of thing, I also tend not to realize when I am excessively moving my arms and hands when I talk or if I am excessively touching my face which apparently I tend to do when rather nervous/annxious but I don't know i am doing it unless someone says something or I somehow catch myself.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 10:29 am

I think I have a weird voice. I talk through my nose a lot and I don't exactly have a full masculine voice. Oh well.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 1:10 pm

My speech can have the emphasis at all the wrong places - I sometimes come across as talking like a six year old as a result.

People often tell me I have an accent or they say " from your voice I can tell you didn't grow up around here" but are at a loss to say where they think I came from.

I'm actually living in the area of the city I was born in and grew up in...

Shauna88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2015, 4:10 pm

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 4:58 pm

I lisped a lot when I was younger: I had trouble with "th", "r", "y" and even "sh" sounds. Speech therapy helped with most of them. But I still can't pronounce R sounds in the middle or end of a word. People always ask if I'm British or have some other accent.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 5:23 pm

my voice is loud and very difficult to maintain a certain volume, its also kinda low and a bit husky. as far as tone i think its meh, different then others but not necessarly abnormal.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Grommit
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2015, 5:58 pm

I have a really high voice naturally and I seem to naturally speak in a higher tone, although I can speak in a very low voice too and I can make it go Johnny cash low, I have sang ever since I can remember and if I can't sing it I will whistle it. But I don't know how I do it I can twist my voice to sing like a woman. There is nothing more satisfying to me than hearing a sound and matching that same frequency and vocalising it. I have practiced all my life because i enjoy it. Does not mean I'm good at it although I can pull of identical impressions. I don't focus so much on words, I focus more on sounds. I had an accent and I moved area and I completely lost my old accent and copied a new one. And I'm not talking a slight change of accent, but I chose to do that and now it's effortless but I can still talk In my old accent.
The accent I have now is not forced

I am a human. Undiagnosed

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Feb 2015, 6:59 pm

I sometimes have problems with my voice when I'm nervous or stressed but it's not due to my autism. I have a tremor disorder that acts up when I'm nervous or stressed & it can affect my voice & cause me to slur & stutter.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

oddigi
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Feb 2015, 7:28 pm

I can anyone do impersonations? I can, and I do have trouble controlling my tone at times.

Rikurii
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Feb 2015, 11:02 am

I often get asked "Where are you from?" because people think I have an accent. I've been told I sound like a Canadian or an American. I'm Australian and even my family thinks I sound weird when I speak, they all speak like a bunch of aussie bogans, where as I'm more sophisticated with my speech I guess. I also speak in a low voice and mumble a lot which often results in me having to repeat myself, which I hate. I believe my tone used to be monotonous and can still be when I'm uncomfortable. But I have learned with age to add expression into my voice when I speak to others.

- Riku

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 12:16 pm

oddigi wrote:
I can anyone do impersonations?

I'm great at impersonations - I can do an entire Muppet Show all by myself. :D