Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 11:21 pm

It's, I'd say, a moderate acid. I just tested it with litmus paper.

RTFM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2015, 3:57 am

If you used litmus, how can you be sure that the pH is 3 ?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 7:21 am

RTFM wrote:

To be more precise, I used a universal indicator.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 8:54 am

I wonder if it would do my anaemic rhododendron any good. Only one way to find out I suppose. Be a few months yet though. Wrong time of year. And unless I get reminded somehow. I'll probably have all forgeotten about it by then :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 9:17 am

beneficii wrote:
RTFM wrote:
To be more precise, I used a universal indicator.
To be even more precise, you're changing your story to fit the evidence. Depending on the variety of Apple, the concentration of the solution, and any additives, the pH can range from 2.5 to 4.0, approximate. There is no single pH for all samples.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 11:18 am

Fnord wrote:
To be even more precise, you're changing your story to fit the evidence.

No, I used a universal indicator, which has a pH range of 1-14, to begin with. I mistakenly called it litmus paper. When that post came, I looked up litmus paper and saw that its range is much more limited than what I used and what I used was actually called universal indicator.

Your accusation is unjustified. Let the person clarify before making accusations. Next time, you come in with a poorly-thought out accusation like that I will report you, Mr. Know-it-all.

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to report you right now.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 12:05 pm

BTW, in case anyone else is inclined to call my clarifying statement a lie, whether implicitly or not, here is a picture of what I actually used:

Notice the full range from 1 to 14. This is a universal indicator, not litmus paper which I had mistaken it for.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Feb 2015, 12:23 pm

Not meaning to be rude, but does this post serve a purpose beyond a statement of the pH of your apple juice? For example, are we supposed to do something with this information?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 12:37 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Not meaning to be rude, but does this post serve a purpose beyond a statement of the pH of your apple juice? For example, are we supposed to do something with this information?

Just thought it was interesting to report.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 1:43 pm

beneficii wrote:
Fnord wrote:

No, I used a universal indicator, which has a pH range of 1-14, to begin with. I mistakenly called it litmus paper. When that post came, I looked up litmus paper and saw that its range is much more limited than what I used and what I used was actually called universal indicator.

Your accusation is unjustified. Let the person clarify before making accusations. Next time, you come in with a poorly-thought out accusation like that I will report you, Mr. Know-it-all.

no, Fnord, beneficii is not changing the story to fit the evidence. she mistakenly called the universal indicator "litmus paper" in the OP. beneficii realized and corrected it to 'universal indicator' when RTFM commented. that's all there is to it.

Fnord wrote:
Depending on the variety of Apple, the concentration of the solution, and any additives, the pH can range from 2.5 to 4.0, approximate. There is no single pH for all samples.

we'll just say this particular sample of apple juice had a ph of 3. did you test any other samples, beneficii?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 2:27 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Fnord wrote:

no, Fnord, beneficii is not changing the story to fit the evidence. she mistakenly called the universal indicator "litmus paper" in the OP. beneficii realized and corrected it to 'universal indicator' when RTFM commented. that's all there is to it.

Fnord wrote:
Depending on the variety of Apple, the concentration of the solution, and any additives, the pH can range from 2.5 to 4.0, approximate. There is no single pH for all samples.

we'll just say this particular sample of apple juice had a ph of 3. did you test any other samples, beneficii?

Thanks, and no I did not, so I take his range of 2.5 to 4.0 for apple to heart.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 6:30 am

Better drink apple cider. Alcohol is somewhat basic. :D

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 12:33 am

I do not want to disturb the discussion, but a few points to consider:

Here is a reference that lists measured pH ranges for apple, cranberry and grape juices that I thought may be useful here:

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/ph-leve ... 12062.html

The acidic nature of apple juice comes mainly from organic acids, like malic and citric acids. But, it can also contain a bit of phosphoric acid (H3PO4, weak ionizing in water) on the mineral side. The major problem with acidity in drinks is if you have any enamel damage to your teeth, it can lead to further damage as it reacts with the lower layers of the teeth. Unprotected tooth enamel is a mineral (hydroxyapatite) and is susceptible to acid attack. One way to decrease the acid damaging effect is to remove the hydroxy groups (OH-) with fluoride groups, F- (ie. fluoride toothpaste, fluoride in drinking water, etc.). By doing that simple step, the tooth enamel becomes much more resistant to acidic attacks.

As for measuring acids and bases for their respective ionization concentrations:

Do not forget that there is also a pOH value for every pH value measured:

pH = - log [H3O+], pOH = - log [OH-] and pH + pOH = 14

[H3O+] is hydronium ion concentration of the solution, [OH-] is the hydroxide concentration of the solution. If you have the pH measured for the solution, you can back calculate using the formulas above to find the concentration of acid in the solution, as well as the base.

Most people outside of chemistry hardly ever use the pOH scales, but they do coexist.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 8:05 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
The acidic nature of apple juice comes mainly from organic acids, like malic and citric acids. But, it can also contain a bit of phosphoric acid (H3PO4, weak ionizing in water) on the mineral side.

Probably won't do much for my rhododendron then...

mistersprinkles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Feb 2015, 6:51 pm

As someone who has worked in aquariums, I can tell you that the only way to get an accurate pH reading is digitally with one of these:

"Some people" in this thread... *cough* OP *cough* get their backs up for absolutely nothing way too easily and will get nowhere in life unless they learn to analyze people's responses to their comments more objectively and subjectively. You have aspergers. It does not have you.