Three Muslims shot to death by a militant atheist at UNC

Page 3 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 11:08 am

Protogenoi wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
For it to be a hate crime, he would have had to have killed them because of their faith (his is irrelevant.)
If he was motivated by a hatred of religious display or because of a parking dispute will have to be determined.

link

Quote:
The suspected killer of three Muslim family members in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, was a known bully in his community, neighbors say.

Craig Hicks, 46, was always irritated about noise and parking in the condominium complex ...

"I have seen and heard him be very unfriendly to a lot of people in this community," Samantha Maness, another resident of the Finley Forest development, told the Times. She said that Hicks displayed an "equal opportunity anger" and that he made "everyone feel uncomfortable and unsafe."

He was emphatic about enforcing the complex's parking regulations and griped when he thought Maness made too much noise with friends.

Imad Ahmad, Barakat's former roommate, said the victims had faced Hicks' anger before.

"He would come over to the door, knock on the door and then have a gun on his hip saying, 'You guys need to not park here,'" Ahmad told the Associated Press. "

What does it matter if it was a hate crime or not? He murdered some people and he should recieve the judgement fit for the crime. Does the fact that someone murders out hate make the crime somehow worse?

The existence of "hate crimes" is a great example of slave morality played out in western civilization.

IMHO, the whole "hate crime" thing is PC BS. A crime should be able to stand on its own without feelings being involved. Murder is murder.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 11:22 am

Raptor wrote:
IMHO, the whole "hate crime" thing is PC BS. A crime should be able to stand on its own without feelings being involved. Murder is murder.

I guess the idea is that the motive is more heinous. To kill someone because of their religion or sexual orientation, etc is deemed worse then to kill over a neutral conflict, in this case a parking space.
Either way the victims are dead. It might matter to the community if it was a hate crime because it could be an indicator wider dislike. But I'm not sure crimes motivated by dislike of a group are any worse than other crimes.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 11:48 am

IMHO, it further complicates matters and provides a tool for abuse by sociopathic prosecutors.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 12:27 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
What does it matter if it was a hate crime or not? He murdered some people and he should recieve the judgement fit for the crime. Does the fact that someone murders out hate make the crime somehow worse?

In Canada hate crimes are punished more severely.

Quote:
The existence of "hate crimes" is a great example of slave morality played out in western civilization.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Eh? ... never studied philosophy I guess.

Nietzsche defined master morality as the morality of the strong-willed. Nietzsche criticizes the view, which he identifies with contemporary British ideology, that good is everything that is helpful; what is bad is what is harmful. He argues that this view has forgotten the origins of the values, and thus it calls what is useful good on the grounds of habitualness — what is useful has always been defined as good, therefore usefulness is goodness as a value. He continues explaining, that in the prehistoric state, "the value or non-value of an action was derived from its consequences" but ultimately, "There are no moral phenomena at all, only moral interpretations of phenomena." The essence of master morality is nobility. Other qualities that are often valued in master moralities are open-mindedness, courage, truthfulness, trust and an accurate sense of self-worth.

Slave morality is the inverse of master morality. As such, it is characterized by pessimism and cynicism. Slave morality is created in opposition to what master morality values as 'good'. Slave morality does not aim at exerting one's will by strength but by careful subversion. It does not seek to transcend the masters, but to make them slaves as well. The essence of slave morality is utility: the good is what is most useful for the whole community, not the strong. Nietzsche saw this as a contradiction. By saying humility is voluntary, slave morality avoids admitting that their humility was in the beginning forced upon them by a master. Nietzsche condemns the triumph of slave morality in the West, saying that the democratic movement is the "collective degeneration of man". Nietzsche saw democracy and Christianity as the same emasculating impulse which sought to make all equal—to make all slaves.

Master morality weighs actions on a scale of good or bad consequences unlike slave morality which weighs actions on a scale of good or evil intentions (intentions that are inherently unknowable in most cases, yet manufactured for judgement.) For Nietzsche, a particular morality is inseparable from the formation of a particular culture. This means that its language, codes and practices, narratives, and institutions are informed by the struggle between these two types of moral valuation. Nietzsche, however, did not believe that humans should adopt master morality as the be-all-end-all code of behavior — he believed that the revaluation of morals would correct the inconsistencies in both master and slave morality — but simply that master morality was preferable to slave morality.

The entire idea of "hate crimes" is a manifestation of the west's slave morality and the degeneration of western humanity.

"No code of ethic and no effort are justifiable a priori in the face of the cruel mathematics that command our attention."

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 1:59 pm

Sylkat wrote:
From what I understand, a resident of an apartment building is assigned one or two parking spaces, which are labeled/numbered.

When a resident comes home to find a vehicle in his/her parking space, he goes directly to the manager, and has the vehicle towed.

All legal, all covered by the Rental Agreement, which all apartment residents must sign.

Any resident who allows/encourages his guest to park in another resident's space is in violation of the rules, and may be responsible for the towing fee.

ALL apartment residents are aware of these rules, since they MUST legally sign the papers before moving in.

The man who chose to pre-meditatedly murder three young people instead of going to the manager's office, or making a phone call to have the car towed knew what he was doing and wanted to kill someone.

Whether he was mentally ill, or just full of hate, the court will decide.

Unfortunately, these three people's lives are over, and their loved ones do not deserve this pain.

That's how it's supposed to work in theory, in practice, not so much. For example, I used to live in an area with no street parking where I had an assigned parking space that was included in my rent, and I'd regularly return from late shifts at work to find someone parked in it, which required that I wake the resident manager, who had to call the property manager, who often would not answer, in order to call the tow company, who then might take several hours to arrive and remove the offending vehicle. In my case, that might mean that I'd arrive home at 2am and not actually be able to park and get to bed till past 5, or park blocks away and trudge home in the rain despite paying for a parking space in a high density area. Now, I avoided killing anyone over this, but I can't say I didn't want to a few times over the years, and could see how someone might snap over it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 3:23 pm

Months ago, my wife and I came home from shopping only to find a strange car in our parking space. Nobody in our apartment complex was the car owner, and management took their sweet time to do anything about it. It took three days for anyone to find out that the car had been stolen - apparently from a few years ago(!) - and that it had been dropped of in a conveniently empty car port, which just happened to be ours. The police eventually had the car towed away after they were unable to contact the owner. Talk about a pain in the ass. I still wouldn't kill anyone over it, nor do I believe would anyone else who was of sound mind. If the shooting was in fact about a parking spot, then the shooter must have serious psychological issues, despite having no criminal record, and having gotten glowing personal references from the community college he attends.

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2015, 12:49 pm

I'm an atheist,But F*CK killing. :evil:

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”
― Pyotr Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 11:29 pm

And this flaming pestilent as*hole will be an Aspie in 10...9...8...7...6...

Wait for it!

Obviously, you don't shoot people over a parking space because you're SANE and don't have serious rage and control issues with life in general. OF COURSE he's a raving nut case!! !

*THUNK*

In other thoughts...

I have a neighbor with a similar mindset. About the time the bills come due, he suddenly develops a fixation with how close my kids are to the property line and what time on a Tuesday evening I put my garbage cans out.

I hope some wealthy relative finances the opportunity for them to move to a better neighborhood soon. Or we hit the Powerball and can retire back to a shack in the boonies with nice, sane, normal gun-toting Bible-thumping hicks.

Atheism is not the absence of religion. Atheism is a religion that is singular in that part of its non-negotiable dogma is the absence of any type, sort, form, or construction of Supreme Being. It just happens to also be a label that is popularly used by those who do not currently wish to consider themselves adherents of any religious system. Sort of like "agnostic," which actually also happens to be a religion, or anyway a particular subset of religion, which holds as a central pillar the idea that Deity is unknown and unknowable, and as such, worshippers should not seek to know Deity.

Atheism certainly IS a religion; just like any religion, it can have adherents who use it in a constructive way and also militantly self-righteous adherents who use it to justify and expand upon the seething rage they're lugging around in their own hearts and minds.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 3:02 am

^^^ In most cases atheists simply lack belief in deities.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 3:13 am

The main thing to get from this is any atheist who claims it's believing in God which drives people to violence is a bloody hypocrite.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 3:27 am

Ganondox wrote:
The main thing to get from this is any atheist who claims it's believing in God which drives people to violence is a bloody hypocrite.

Well, it can be a reason. If a Christian kills someone it likely has nothing to do with religion, but when the Crusaders went off on their killing sprees... it definately had to do with religion. It was most times even called for by the Pope and the medieval nobility was expected to kill in the name of their religion. Same with ISIS of today, you cannot seperate it from their religious beliefs.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 5:15 pm

Ganondox wrote:

That is not logical.

Beliefs about god(s) are one of the things that drive people to violence, but not the only thing.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 10:51 pm

Ganondox wrote:

Nice strawman. No one claims that religion is the only source of violence. And violence isn't the only negative aspect of religion.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 3:14 pm

trollcatman wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Well, it can be a reason. If a Christian kills someone it likely has nothing to do with religion, but when the Crusaders went off on their killing sprees... it definately had to do with religion. It was most times even called for by the Pope and the medieval nobility was expected to kill in the name of their religion. Same with ISIS of today, you cannot seperate it from their religious beliefs.

As someone who is studying Islamic history right now, that's not actually really the case. Religion factors into it, yes, but the root of it is ethnic tension that has been going on for thousands of years, before Islam was even a thing, it's ultimately the same war between the Greeks and Persians. The point is this man's atheism factored into the killing in the same manner that Islam factored into ISIS.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 6:36 pm

Ganondox wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

As someone who is studying Islamic history right now, that's not actually really the case. Religion factors into it, yes, but the root of it is ethnic tension that has been going on for thousands of years, before Islam was even a thing, it's ultimately the same war between the Greeks and Persians. The point is this man's atheism factored into the killing in the same manner that Islam factored into ISIS.

It is very much possible that that atheist came to believe Muslims and other religious people were bad, and therefore was much more likely to do evil against them.
There are many cases of religious strife in history, my example of the Crusaders has nothing to do with ethnic strife at all. Some of the most numerous and fanatic Crusaders were Franks/French, and they or their ancestors did not live in the Middle-east at all. These people set aside their own ethnic strife to attack Muslims and later also Orthodox Christians.

I think the wars during the times of the Greeks, Persians and Romans had much to do with the way their economy was set up. They kept needing more and more slaves, the Romans built their empire by subjugating a foreign tribe, enslaving them and giving the land to their veteran soldiers. The way their actual empire was run sucked so much they could not have survived without the pillaging.

And a way to resolve the ethnic tension could be to let the artifical states fall apart and evolve into actual nation-states like Kurdistan, Sunni-stan and whatever else. That is sort of what happened in Europe in the 19th and 20th centuries. If they had done that earlier we might not have needed WW1 and 2.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 2:43 am

trollcatman wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

It is very much possible that that atheist came to believe Muslims and other religious people were bad, and therefore was much more likely to do evil against them.
There are many cases of religious strife in history, my example of the Crusaders has nothing to do with ethnic strife at all. Some of the most numerous and fanatic Crusaders were Franks/French, and they or their ancestors did not live in the Middle-east at all. These people set aside their own ethnic strife to attack Muslims and later also Orthodox Christians.

I think the wars during the times of the Greeks, Persians and Romans had much to do with the way their economy was set up. They kept needing more and more slaves, the Romans built their empire by subjugating a foreign tribe, enslaving them and giving the land to their veteran soldiers. The way their actual empire was run sucked so much they could not have survived without the pillaging.

And a way to resolve the ethnic tension could be to let the artifical states fall apart and evolve into actual nation-states like Kurdistan, Sunni-stan and whatever else. That is sort of what happened in Europe in the 19th and 20th centuries. If they had done that earlier we might not have needed WW1 and 2.

With the Crusades, the fact is they weren't declaring people merely because they were Christian, but because they wanted a particular piece of land which was controlled by a different group. Yeah, being Christian is what made them decide they needed to have the Holy Lands, but they might have been cool with it if it wasn't controlled by Arabs.

Changing the boundaries would relieve a lot of tensions, but it's not going to stop the former empires from believing they should still be empires. The thing about there would be the same conflict if Islam was never around and the stuff with Iran's history if from some book I haven't read by some FBI guy who is like the US's expert on the Middle East or something which I haven't read myself, just heard it referred to.