Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 9:46 am

:? I know that's bad, but I forget EVERY morning. Any advice?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 10:09 am

Put a note on your bathroom mirror that says "Brush your teeth"?

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 12:04 pm

What is your most active location? Actually, what's the first thing you do when you wake up? If there's a place where you can stick a note that you are sure would remind you, I would do that.

It's very VERY important that you get into the habit of brushing your teeth. Trust me. Take it from a person who had severe executive functioning issues growing up and constantly forgot to brush their teeth. I know have no teeth at all because they got so bad that they had to come out.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 12:18 pm

I never remember to brush my teeth either. I hated doing it when I was a kid because of sensory issues, and my habit of not doing it just sort of stuck with me ever since.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 1:25 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:
What is your most active location? Actually, what's the first thing you do when you wake up? If there's a place where you can stick a note that you are sure would remind you, I would do that.

It's very VERY important that you get into the habit of brushing your teeth. Trust me. Take it from a person who had severe executive functioning issues growing up and constantly forgot to brush their teeth. I know have no teeth at all because they got so bad that they had to come out.

I wash up at night so I don't have to do it in the morning. I am very groggy in the morning.
I haven't been to a dentist in over ten years. My mom stopped taking me when I was little because she was embarrased to be the mom of the autistic kid who freaked out with a drill coming at his mouth.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 4:57 pm

I brush my tooth at night, right before falling asleep. It's my daily routine so I won't forget it. And even if I will... my tooths remind me because there is a weird feeling on them at night which makes me unable to fall asleep and if I don't brush them.

I don't brush my tooth in the morning unless I really care about having uncommonly white tooth and fresh breath on that day (in that case I brush the tooth right before leaving the house). I hate eating breakfast while having the taste of toothpaste in my mouth and after breakfast I no longer care about brushing them because the grossy "after whole night" feeling in my mouth is already gone. The food works just as good as brushing. Do you know that eating some kinds of food (for example a carrot) can be a decent replacement if you happen not to have a toothbrush? Its a survival trick.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 6:07 pm

I'd really suggest that you find a way to remind yourself in the morning. Maybe put a note in the bathroom above the toilet where you will see it when you go pee right after you wake up. It's not that bad since you are still brushing them at night, but not brushing them in the morning is going to make you have bad breath all day.

My husband hasn't brushed in years and refuses to. He has beautiful white, straight perfect teeth with no cavities but the worst breath anyone ever saw. He's got a lot of issues from childhood (he's NT too) but because of the fact that he won't brush his teeth I haven't kissed in him over a decade.

I don't know if you have a gf or not, but if you do she certainly notices your breath whether she says she does or not. Also, if you do meet a girl you are interested in you don't want to be talking to her and trying to impress her all the while driving her away with bad breath.

Also, do you smoke or drink coffee? Smoking causes people to have bad breath anyway and as a smoker I do remember to brush several times during the day simply because of my breath. Because I drink coffee as well and that causes bad breath too, it can be a double whammy. I always brush really good after I'm done drinking my morning coffee, and of course I smoke when I'm drinking the coffee. Also alcohol causes terrible breath too, so you have to keep all those things in mind.

Please do find a way to remind yourself to brush though. Find a toothpaste you really like and use it, or get an electric toothbrush thats fun to use, etc. I like Crest vanilla mint, but it's hard to find now.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 6:39 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I'd really suggest that you find a way to remind yourself in the morning. Maybe put a note in the bathroom above the toilet where you will see it when you go pee right after you wake up. It's not that bad since you are still brushing them at night, but not brushing them in the morning is going to make you have bad breath all day.

My husband hasn't brushed in years and refuses to. He has beautiful white, straight perfect teeth with no cavities but the worst breath anyone ever saw. He's got a lot of issues from childhood (he's NT too) but because of the fact that he won't brush his teeth I haven't kissed in him over a decade.

I don't know if you have a gf or not, but if you do she certainly notices your breath whether she says she does or not. Also, if you do meet a girl you are interested in you don't want to be talking to her and trying to impress her all the while driving her away with bad breath.

Also, do you smoke or drink coffee? Smoking causes people to have bad breath anyway and as a smoker I do remember to brush several times during the day simply because of my breath. Because I drink coffee as well and that causes bad breath too, it can be a double whammy. I always brush really good after I'm done drinking my morning coffee, and of course I smoke when I'm drinking the coffee. Also alcohol causes terrible breath too, so you have to keep all those things in mind.

Please do find a way to remind yourself to brush though. Find a toothpaste you really like and use it, or get an electric toothbrush thats fun to use, etc. I like Crest vanilla mint, but it's hard to find now.

I don't use tobacco or coffee. I have an electric toothbrush but I don't turn it on cause I have a chipped tooth

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 6:41 pm

Just get a "normal" toothbrush.

Leave the toothbrush and toothpaste in a visible place--so you'll KNOW you'll have to brush.

Don't you sense that "morning breath" when you wake up?

If you want to get girls, and to keep your teeth until old age, you have to brush.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 7:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Just get a "normal" toothbrush.

Leave the toothbrush and toothpaste in a visible place--so you'll KNOW you'll have to brush.

Don't you sense that "morning breath" when you wake up?

If you want to get girls, and to keep your teeth until old age, you have to brush.

Also apathy plays a role. I'm depressed and can hardly get out of bed. I've pretty much built up a tolerance to that morning breath feeling.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 5:24 am

My son started brushing his teeth more often when I put his toothbrush and toothpaste in the shower caddy. He would see them in there and brush his teeth while he was in the shower.

swashyrose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Feb 2015, 6:36 am

I'll recommended the one thing that actually helped me to brush more often, it's an app called habitflow. I set morning brushing and nighttime brushing as separate tasks, you get points when you remember to check in that you've done it, I think you get reminders too. You get bonus points for doing things on time or consecutively etc. The points rank up your status to a different type of metal, iron, gold etc. And I would promise myself treats for reaching certain metal ranks.

I should get it again because I stopped using it after I accidentally lost my saved data, but when I was using it, I brushed twice a day for numerous weeks in a row! Instead of really sporadically and not often.
Worth a try?

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 6:46 am

Smartphones and other gadgets often have alarms that can give you daily reminders.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 2:24 am

I've also got stuck into the routine of not doing it since it causes tooth damage/decay itself, everytime I had to brush, I had to get fillings, now ever since i stopped which has been years, teeth haven't hurt, no fillings or gaps appear, i'm just better off.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 5:39 pm

When I was younger, I went for something like two years without brushing my teeth. I'm lucky they are as healthy as they are. I now do much better, but I still forget maybe twice a week. It's part of my shower habit now, so if I shower, I brush, too. But I often forget to shower (since I'm not working, so no need to smell perfect). I do detect breath issues or fuzzy teeth feeling, and then brush when I notice them, so it might be 3pm before I do it, but I at least get it done.
For depression, which I also battle, I noticed that doing little things to take care of myself, like brushing teeth, lessens the depressed feeling. So try it just to see if you feel better when you do it. If you try it enough to build up a habit, you won't forget anymore. Leave the toothbrush out on the counter where you will see it.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 8:51 pm

Plug your toothbrush in to charge right next to your alarm clock, in a position that makes you have to fiddle with it to see the time or shut the alarm off.

I keep a toothbrush and toothpaste in my glove compartment just in case. That way, if I'm in a real rush, and I get somewhere, and I realize I forgot to brush my teeth, it's there.