Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2005, 7:47 pm

A way to punish members that commit minor offences.

The jail is a forum which certain members are restricted to posting in for a certain amount of time.

I suppose it's better than banning. +

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2005, 8:44 pm

What about restricting the number of posts some people can make in a day instead? That way they still have the chance to interact and hopefully learn some ettiquite.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2005, 5:00 am

The problem is that you have to then have a judge, jury, and executioner to determine if the crime merits a banning or a jailing. I would not want that job for anything.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2005, 5:30 am

Sean wrote:
What about restricting the number of posts some people can make in a day instead? That way they still have the chance to interact and hopefully learn some ettiquite.

No I don't like that idea.. I mean in the jail all members can post. But people being punished can only post there.

Quote:
The problem is that you have to then have a judge, jury, and executioner to determine if the crime merits a banning or a jailing. I would not want that job for anything.

I'd love it. I don't care what people here think of me.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2005, 11:44 am

hale_bopp wrote:
No I don't like that idea.. I mean in the jail all members can post. But people being punished can only post there.

What about different different restictions for different offenses?
For example, people like "171NewYork" need to be quarantined to keep their insanity from contaminating the rest of the site (just like 171NewYork probably is righ now in real life). Then there's people like "Ghosthunter". While he didn't do anyhting wrong, at first he posted in reply to anything and evrything with messages that were extremely dificcult to understand. In his case, it might have been better if he had some sort of restriction to his number of posts instead while he received constructive feedback on his ettiquite.

hale_bopp wrote:
Quote:

No offense, but (I mean this in a constructive way):

You would be asking to arbitrarily wield powers that neither Alex nor any of the other moderators currently exercise. Furthermore, such a moderator would need to keep a cool head at all times and cannot go off on an obsessive-compulsive crusade to rid the internet of people that annoy them. Last of all, any lone individual taking on such a responsisbility would be at extreme risk for viruses sent in retalliation.

Neon_Knight
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 May 2005, 12:34 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

I think you would get real job satisfaction working as a torturer in some dictatorial state.

Pity Saddam lost his post.

He could have recruited someone like you and given you your dream job!

:lol:

ElfMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2005, 5:14 am

Sean wrote:

Quote:
Then there's people like "Ghosthunter". While he didn't do anyhting wrong, at first he posted in reply to anything and evrything with messages that were extremely dificcult to understand. In his case, it might have been better if he had some sort of restriction to his number of posts instead while he received constructive feedback on his ettiquite.

I think that is mean of you. Do you really think it would have helped him more by stopping him from posting and telling him how to 'asimilate' for you would have worked??

GRRRR!! I like the way GhostHunter is in his natural form better anyway. You people with this opininon have just done to him what you hate NT's doing to you.
Many of you have told him that he better learn to communicate on your level or you would not bother to read his posts. Isn't this the kind of attitude from most NT's that causes you people gather here in the first place?

Elfman's daily 'poor me' message, brought to you by "It's All About Me" free to air frequency.
Thankyou for you subscription!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2005, 6:20 am

hehe. I wou;dn't want the job. I think it's an admins responsibility, and besides, i'm probably one of the people that deserves to GET jailed. :lol:

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2005, 8:35 pm

ElfMan wrote:
I like the way GhostHunter is in his natural form better anyway. You people with this opininon have just done to him what you hate NT's doing to you.
Many of you have told him that he better learn to communicate on your level or you would not bother to read his posts. Isn't this the kind of attitude from most NT's that causes you people gather here in the first place?

Let me clarify. What Ghosthunter needed (and could still use) is lots of feedback on his ettiquite. What I was saying was that Ghosthunter probably shoudn't have made as many posts as he did while he was forst learning that ettiquite.

hale_bopp wrote:
hehe. I wou;dn't want the job. I think it's an admins responsibility, and besides, i'm probably one of the people that deserves to GET jailed.

I doubt that. There's a big difference between being blunt and fiery, compared to people that are a chronic jerk.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2005, 1:15 am

Ghosthunter has sought feedback on his writing on many occasions and received it. I think it's inappropriate to comment negatively on another member in this way. All of us have some problems in communication and/or social appropriateness. You too!

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2005, 4:34 am

Point.

Anywhoo, Ghosthunter has actually requested peoples opinions. The only thing I see wrong with his posts are the fact that he makes them only 1/3 of the page, while everyone else's takes up the entire page. It is confusing going to 1 of his posts from, say, hale's.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2005, 9:08 am

Postperson wrote:
I think it's inappropriate to comment negatively on another member in this way.

I completely agree. What's more, Ghosthunter did not post anything that would be a breach of an etiquette (however formulated), which cannot be said about some posts in this thread. I would be grateful if members refrain from further discussing this subject.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2005, 10:34 am

Your the moderator Magic. If you think that there should be no more discussion in this thread, then lock it with your explaination. :roll:

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

magic
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2005, 11:10 am

ljbouchard wrote:
Your the moderator Magic. If you think that there should be no more discussion in this thread, then lock it with your explaination. :roll:

I don't believe that thread should be locked. The thread's topic is OK, but the personal-level discussion about other members is off-topic for both this thread and the "Bug reports and ideas" forum, as well as inappropriate on its own. I hope that members would understand that and restrain themselves. Ljbouchard, if you do not approve of my comments on this thread, or consider my actions inappropriate, please feel free to complain about it to other moderators.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2005, 6:12 pm

For the record, I did post an apology to Ghosthunter.

The question remains, is there anything that can be done to quarantine that occasional psycho that has no interest in doing anything constructive here?

magic
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2005, 12:05 am

Thanks, Sean, I appreciate your decision to apologize. All's well that ends well.