Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 7:43 am

An interesting take on who Jesus was, the period of many prophets, the expectation of a messiah, and the Zoroastrian heritage. Some of this I've head before.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 9:18 am

The Times They WERE a Changin'!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 11:27 am

People were looking for a way to get out from under the Roman yoke.

They were also trying, as they've always tried, to try to make "sense" out of the world.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 2:57 pm

Narrator wrote:
An interesting take on who Jesus was, the period of many prophets, the expectation of a messiah, and the Zoroastrian heritage. Some of this I've head before.

Thanks for sharing that.

It is fascinating, particularly in respect of how religion and self-fulfilling prophecies go hand-in-hand.

And of course, 'we' see this now with extremist Islam factions, per Isis or the politically correct Isil version of that term, where 'they' literally believe that killing Coptic Christians is the work of GOD and or Allah, to pave the way for the messianic second coming of the dude known, as Jesus Christ.

Human beings have great power in making stories up first, with the power of imagination and creativity AKA PROPHECIES in the OLDEN and new days still for some.

These 'prophecies' though can certainly lead to dreams of better ways of light or nightmares of increasing darkness, strife, and even DEATH by the millions of suffering humans and other animal OR PLANT species life.

If I HAVE JUST one wish, I WILL replace all religion with the last 9 or 10 MINUTES and more of the Movie 'Contact' inspired by the writings of Carl Sagan, when Jodie Foster meets a Holographic Jesus and or GOD or and Alien figure from the sky OF a journey within, at the hologram of Pensacola beach for heaven, fitting I might say, with a Universe one can touch like Jelly with the golden spirals of sixes and nines seen in the 'heaven's above and patterns in the 'sands' below....

AND then the words of wisdom by Jesus GOD or Alien THAT YOU Humans ARE an interesting MIX capable of such wondrous dreams of light and beyond horrifying nightmares of dark...

WITH the ending words that the only 'THinG' 'we' find that makes this existence tolerable is the emotional and sensory connection with other beings both human, plant AND OTHER ANIMAL LIFE... ALL ACROSS THE TERRESTRIAL LANDS.. SEAS.. SKIES ABOVE.. AND SO BELOW....

AND THEN GOD OR JESUS OR THE ALIEN or me or you or even 'WE' MIGHT JUST END IN SAYING....

THE GOLDEN RULE.. THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT....

"WE"ve instructed you time and time AGAIN on JUST THAT.

WHEN THE F** FUN ARE you GOING TO LEARN.

PERIOD.

And that's all for now.. gotta get going.. Gospel Singing tonight with my wife and her older friend.. at the Hell and Fire Brimstone Hating Homosexual behavior Southern Baptist church.. with eyes of light blue steel looking from the back pew on....with a thousand yard stare.. behind shades that hide piercing lasers of change...

for whatever comes next..

FOR NOW. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 7:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
People were looking for a way to get out from under the Roman yoke.

They were also trying, as they've always tried, to try to make "sense" out of the world.

I get the idea that, even back then, fads and popularity were almost as prevalent as they are now - whether a charismatic personality or the BC equivalent of a conspiracy theory (aka a prophecy), and the more detail you can cobble together, the more people will say, "Yes, of course, that must be it."

I wonder if we've had a modern equivalent of Search for a Prophet. It would make a good tv show... maybe.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 7:29 pm

Glad to see you again, Narrator!

I guess you had family responsibilities! Or maybe you just wanted to live life outside the Interwebz! I could dig that!

I would agree with you about fads in Roman times--especially in Rome itself.

A day or night at the Colosseum watching the gladiatorial games was de riguer. Like watching the Knicks at Madison Square Garden, or Aussie Rules football.

There were even "corner stores" there where people could chew the fat.

I'm sure there were "pop idols" then--a favorite gladiator. A favorite singer. A favorite prophet.

We are actually, in some ways, falling back into Late Roman Decadence. I think the Social-Darwinist "reality shows" are a reflection of that.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm

Oh I agree there. Just wondering when we'll have the burning of Rome, and who will sit on their fiddle as it happens.

hmmm..
9/11, Iraq.. reality shows.. the interweb... *scratches chin*

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 8:15 pm

Rome should have stayed a Republic.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 10:09 pm

Greece and Rome were once the height of enlightenment and intellectual pursuit.
Oh how the mighty fall.

And yes, kraftie, my time on here is a moment here, an hour there. If not for my wife, I would probably vegetate here more often and for longer. :P

And at the moment, I'm waiting for the return of my drone from the repair shop in China. I usually fly it for about an hour each day, but it's been 4 weeks without so far. This is my Phantom drone:

Artificius
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2015, 1:08 am

Roman analogies are frustrating. If we're following a similar path, we're closer to losing our Republic and accepting autocracy than our fall to a future equivalent of the Goths, Franks, Suevi, Allemanni, Saxons, Angles, and Vandals who are themselves being pushed into our heartlands by the Hun. And even then, I should think being compared to the Imperial Romans would be favorable to us, as they were nearly a thousand years from their end in 476, and there were Romans for hundreds of years after they last held the city of that name. Roman civilization survived: the traumatic loss of over half their territory; the equally-traumatic re-acquisition of some of it; the Bubonic plague in the immediate aftermath of those traumas which caused the whole thing to shrink enough to tempt the Sassanian Persians to try finishing them (which they did NOT); the Arab invasions; the Russian invasions; the Bulgarians; and even the Fourth Crusade, which involved a bunch of Catholic westerners sucker-punching their capital for drug money and lootz. And in spite of the desires and schemes of their neighbors, they managed to reconstitute and hold off the Turks for another two centuries before its last city fell again and finally. From the moment Rome liberated itself from its local tyrant, only a quarter of the further two millennia of its history was as a Republic (though it remained one officially and even occasionally in practice, with allowance for a permanent executive(s)), so why should we look to it as an example of either the inherent virtue or expediency of representative government over autocratic forms, or as a meaningful warning to our own wayward society? For Roman fanboys, it's like watching one of those rare 120-year-olds croak and then reading an article which highlights the period where he drank and chain-smoked daily between brutal boxing matches during his thirties and forties as the cause of his downfall. You obviously shouldn't do those things if you want to live a while, but it's them and the Chinese Qin through Qing for the long-runners. They shouldn't be used as an example for anything you ought not to do as a state if you want people to learn not to do it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 9:29 am

I hope you get your drone back soon, Narrator!

It's really cool!

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 9:59 am

Thanks Kraftie! Pretty cool to fly too. :D

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 9:59 am

Artificius wrote:
They shouldn't be used as an example for anything you ought not to do as a state if you want people to learn not to do it.