Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

something_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Feb 2015, 9:04 am

I was diagnosed last year, after all the stress of getting the assessment I just wanted a break from it all. Now I think I am ready to explore what ever service may be available to help me and was wondering what services others in the uk have used.

I have been looking at the services in my area, they all seem to be based on 'working towards independence' I don't think that would be suitable for me, I have a job and while I do live with my parents I haven't always and am planning to move out soon.

My main area of difficulty is social and relationships, I have been pretty lucky in that I have a few good old friends but as they all are moving into a different phase of life I am very conscious I need to learn how to meet people. I think my difficulties are both down to an underlying deficit but compounded by psychological damage over the years, even if people are friendly to me I just can't reciprocate through fear it would not be welcome. I know I need to break that down. Has anyone else faced similar and managed to improve in this area? is it something that services for autism can help with or it something that would require therapy, if it is the later what kind of approaches have people found useful

Data001
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2015, 9:28 am

Hi,

I am kinda of in a similar position myself. Unfortunately, ASD services for adults is non-existant in the UK. However, I have found ways that might help you that I have use or have done.

First look at joining your local National Autistic Branch (NAS) as they may run events and can have some useful contacts to point you in the right direction. You might make few friendships with others.

The second thing to look into is volunteering as way of getting out and meeting new people by doing something you like and the social aspect becomes secondary.

The last thing I suggest is go to your local community hub as they might have information on other organisations that might help. An example is that I have arranged next week to meet someone from a mental heath charity called Oakleaf to leaning gardening skills with others who have recovered or are recovering from a mental illness.

I wish you luck in finding something that helps you.

Regards

Data001

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2015, 11:19 am

Found out there isn't a local NAS where I live. That's frustrating because my support from my family is nonexistent.

something_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Feb 2015, 12:05 pm

thanks, I am trying to contact NAS at the moment they do seem to provide a range of services in my area. I worry though that they are not aimed at people like me and cover basic skills that I have managed to pick up myself, I can appear quite 'normal' at first it is only in the long run that it is noticeable that I really don't connect with anyone, so think they might just dismiss me (which is exactly what they did when I went to them before diagnosis). Volunteering is a good idea, I am not sure I would be able to fit it in with working and my long commute but I will look into what there is in my area.

Data001 wrote:
Hi,

I am kinda of in a similar position myself. Unfortunately, ASD services for adults is non-existant in the UK. However, I have found ways that might help you that I have use or have done.

First look at joining your local National Autistic Branch (NAS) as they may run events and can have some useful contacts to point you in the right direction. You might make few friendships with others.

The second thing to look into is volunteering as way of getting out and meeting new people by doing something you like and the social aspect becomes secondary.

The last thing I suggest is go to your local community hub as they might have information on other organisations that might help. An example is that I have arranged next week to meet someone from a mental heath charity called Oakleaf to leaning gardening skills with others who have recovered or are recovering from a mental illness.

I wish you luck in finding something that helps you.

Regards

Data001

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2015, 12:49 pm

something_ wrote:
I was diagnosed last year, after all the stress of getting the assessment I just wanted a break from it all. Now I think I am ready to explore what ever service may be available to help me and was wondering what services others in the uk have used.

I have been looking at the services in my area, they all seem to be based on 'working towards independence' I don't think that would be suitable for me, I have a job and while I do live with my parents I haven't always and am planning to move out soon.

My experience is similar in that I could find nothing obiously applicable to the property owning, working, taxpayer.

Quote:
My main area of difficulty is social and relationships, I have been pretty lucky in that I have a few good old friends but as they all are moving into a different phase of life I am very conscious I need to learn how to meet people.

Ditto, with the added complication that my relationship aspirations have always been a long way from the cultural mainstream.

Quote:
I think my difficulties are both down to an underlying deficit but compounded by psychological damage over the years,

I'm fairly sure that my difficulties relate to a lack of non-verbal "literacy" together with not understanding social conventions well enough to know when they can be "bent" even "broken".

Welsh_Wolf2015
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2015, 5:34 pm

The UK services are a disgrace to be honest. I've been told that it will be 2-3 years before I'd even see anyone qualified in ASD treatment. I'd say your best bet is to find a local group that may offer some help.