Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 1:06 pm

I was born in 1995 and I am currently obsessed with 80s and 90s stuff like music and punk clothes. I used to be obsessed with the 1950s-70s as well and wearing clothes from that time or like stuff to do with Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield as well as 50s pinup styles. I like to listen to Def Leppard from the 80s and stuff like Pajama Party or Stevie B, rockstars like Ozzy Osbourne and 90s band Foo Fighters. I like TV from old times like X-Files, Seinfeld, Boy Meets World, stuff like that. When I am stimming, I imagine in my head it's another time period. I am also obsessed with the 1800s and used to want to dress in corsets and braids like Laura Ingalls Wilder. I really don't like the modern time period.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 10:02 am

I was born in 1961.

I enjoy Swing from the 1930s, Ragtime from about 1890 to 1920, Blues from the early days, Jazz from 1915. Many other things from before 1961.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 12:44 pm

My mom says I live in the past and I need to get out of it.

Scissor...me
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Mar 2015, 4:47 pm

My parents say that the music buisness and holywood movies and styles from now are crap ;)

Sarah xx

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 4:55 pm

Scissor...me wrote:
My parents say that the music buisness and holywood movies and styles from now are crap ;)

They have a point.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 6:07 pm

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
My mom says I live in the past and I need to get out of it.

"living in the past" means ruminating on and on about mistakes in your past, wishing what you could have done better and endless nostalgia. at leas, the way i've seen it used.

i don't know if you do that, but having a preference for music and styles from before your own time "isnt living in the past."

in the 80s and 90s, i bet people were complaining of that same culture you like now. it's the way it is, and i don't doubt that someday people in the future will look back on the 2010's as a more idyllic time. or less 'crappy'.

i was born in the 90s too. i sometimes wish i was born in the 50s or 40s so i could have witnessed the cold war firsthand. though i'm probably missing out on another such war, happening right now, by dreaming about that one. :wink:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 6:18 pm

You wouldn't have wanted to experience the Cold War.

I'm lucky: I lived in the latter half of it.

In the 50's, kids had to go UNDER their desks during nuclear drills. As a kid in the late 60's, I didn't have to do that.

I think you would have found the Cuban Missile Crisis quite interesting, though. I was 1 year old when that occurred--obviously, too young to understand it.

I also wish I would have experienced the changes wrought by the coming of the Beatles to the US in 1964. Alas, I was too young for that, too--except in the latter stages when hippies emerged.

I did experience Vietnam, and Martin Luther King, though. I remember when he was shot--how devastated I was. I was 7 years old when he was shot. I had a basic understanding of civil rights then, and what he stood for.

I also saw the Apollo missions. I think that bought optimism amid the pessimism. I believe, after Watergate and the last Apollo missions in 1973-1974, everything changed. People started getting more cynical. I noticed it even then, when I was in 6th-7th grade.

Nothing wrong with being in love with the past--as long as you know there is a Present, too.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 6:37 pm

To be honest, I really do like things from the past. I happen to like music from the 70s and 80s, mainly classic rock such as Journey, Bryan Adams, Def Leppard, and Pat Benatar. I'm not really fond of music that's made recently made, especially from Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus (she's a witch, I tell you!). As Bob Seger says:

Additionally, I also like other stuff from the past. One is swords from medieval times since I'm REALLY obsessed with swords. I also happen to have an interest in World War II.

Of course, I also do have interests that are made in the present, but only some of them. Ok, it may be odd for me to like those things, some from the past and some others from the present, but that's me.

So, in conclusion, there's nothing wrong with having those interests, GWA. I'm like that, too. As long as your a good person, you can like what ever you want. Okay, I know it's sounds kinda corny, but it's true.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 1:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You wouldn't have wanted to experience the Cold War.

yeah, i'll take your word for it.

i talked to my dad (52) about it today, growing up in unaligned mexico. he doesn't remember mush, or anything really, relating to the cold war or such nuclear drills. but he did learn to ride horses without saddles, fish with nets and grow corn...
he moved here to california when he was 15 and went to school but even then he does not remember anything like that.

uh...i remember staying up later than usual at night to hear the results of the 2008 election :lol: i remember the campaign well too. in that same school year, feeling a slight vibration that turned out to be an earthquake in a city some couple hundred miles away where my cousins lived.

homage to catalonia sounds interesting. i do get sad when i think that soon the world will lose it's last human links to the spanish civil war, and then later wars. :|

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 2:48 am

Remember my mum and dad coming down stairs and saying to us kids "You're going to be alright" in a marked way - years later realised that they'd been upstairs listening to radio news of the Cuban missile crisis coming to a close. The television was off so as not to worry us young ones - nuclear war was possibly minutes away.

Nostalgia for times before I was born was something that really featured in my life - love of kitsch, old flash gordon serials, fritz lang's metropolis. The 20's and 30's were hard times but the sense of design was good to my eyes. I was mesmerised by it.

And the 50's - a woman walking down the street for a night out was a work of art, and while England could be a grim and gothic place, statements in car design were good, particularly american. How Little Richard got away with being himself I'll never know.

70's on the streets in some parts of England felt like there was a civil war on the way.

The 80's got very very strange, try looking on youtube at old films of top of the pops.

Very glad to have been born in 1956, feel sorry for today's kids. Youth subculture then seemed more intense without the internet, or perhaps it's me being nostalgic myself here.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 2:50 am

Homage to Catalonia - excellent book imo.

Down and Out in Paris and London is good as well.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 3:52 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Scissor...me wrote:

They have a point.

I know right? Everything is all about Dubstep, EDM, 50 Shades of Gray and everything wrong with the entertainment industry :roll:

Oh and twerking! How could I forget twerking and memes?!

Liking things from the past is way better than that. I may not look like I'm one, but I'm a MallGoth with scene girl undertones on the inside. I tend to wear simple clothes (hoodies, jeans, sneakers and stuff like that). That's the time period that I know and love.

As long as you're not hurting yourself or other people, people can like whatever they want :D

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 4:42 pm

One place I'd have loved to have been in the recent past was post cold war Berlin in the 90's - a time of a rare flare of access to creativity and freedom.

At my age (58) I'm way out of step with what's fashionable and have no idea how contemporary Nine Inch Nails are, but the music sounds pretty modern to me, and there's a highly interesting creativity in there, a sense of niche obsession.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 4:55 pm

For girl with asperger's stuff from the strange 80's

Klaus Nomi, 1982
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNahvGXVWl0

Falco Rock me amadeus Austrian Rap - SFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDPpq4qkkjA

70's, Led Zeppelin (40 years before Rammstein) Immigrant Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRjH_gJbUqQ

Immigrant Song live version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlNhD0oS5pk

Immigrant Song - modern cover version (trent reznor had a hand in this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQtXsp4tIbw

70's Can (they were like a band from another planet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49PvnYC ... 8RzLdf34Ow

Last edited by Alexanderplatz on 08 Mar 2015, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 5:07 pm

The truth is there was nearly another revolution in France in 1968, not that your political masters are going to advertise the fact - I don't know if we are still living in the creative aftermath of this almost revolution or not.

Btw, the album Tago Mago by Can is Johnny Rotten's favourite album, Johnny Rotten being the lead singer of The Sex Pistols.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 5:36 pm

This man. I want to be just like that when I grow up (sfw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIAZ8unRm2c