People at my church seem to hate or dislike me, they ignore

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jashley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2015, 2:52 pm

People at my church seem to hate or dislike me, they ignore me when I say hi and I have said hi and their name over and over again loudly and they still blatantly ignore me while saying hi to everyone else.and never invite me to parties

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 4:30 pm

I bet it's not YOU, per se.....it's the fact that you're not well known amongst these people.

People, unfortunately, tend to be cliquish.

Probably, the best thing to do is to volunteer at some church function. Then, these people will see you, and feel like they know you better.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I bet it's not YOU, per se.....it's the fact that you're not well known amongst these people.

People, unfortunately, tend to be cliquish.

Probably, the best thing to do is to volunteer at some church function. Then, these people will see you, and feel like they know you better.

While there are some people that will talk to anybody, I have found this to be true most of the time...especially when it comes to smaller groups of people, where everybody knows everybody else. You have to "earn" your way in with these kinds of people.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 8:15 pm

jashley wrote:
People at my church seem to hate ...
Let me guess ... your church is either Baptist, Church of Christ, Episcopalian, Latter-Day-Saints, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, Scientology, or Society of Friends.

russdm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2015, 9:00 pm

jashley wrote:
People at my church seem to hate or dislike me, they ignore me when I say hi and I have said hi and their name over and over again loudly and they still blatantly ignore me while saying hi to everyone else.and never invite me to parties

Have you taken an inventory of yourself? Determined that you don't: Wear dirty clothes there; smell considerably; wear strange clothing; wear clothes with says something not proper for church; have stains on your face; have nasty looking hair; act or walk in a way suggesting that you are dangerous/threatening?

Have you done anything to anyone that was mean or hurtful that could have spread around? If you said something nasty about someone, others could find out and spread around what you said. This would cause people to not like you or hate you. Have you acted in ways that would make people not want to be near you or around you?

At my church, I tend to be a loner and don't worry about whether people like me, but I try to not do anything that would help people not like me. I try to wear clean clothes, have washed hair, and not be smelly. I also try to be polite and non-threatening so people will feel more comfortable with me being around them. I don't know if it works, but I try.

Sunny55
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Mar 2015, 9:10 am

I agree with silver star, that often a new person has to 'earn' their way into an established group. If you are on the quiet side, this can take longer than it would for a more outgoing person.
Having said this, I have found that many churches tend to be standoffish, more so than most secular groups, to newcomers. There is usually a 'welcomer' who will talk to you the first time you go to church, then after that you are left pretty much to sink or swim.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 10:57 am

Have you thought about getting involved in some of the ministries. A lot of them have volunteer engagements which are great ways to get to know people.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 1:28 am

jashley wrote:

They probably do hate you.
Religious people commonly hate anyone who is not exactly what they want that person to be.
So leave the church and find people who wont hate you.