Are Autistic Men More Likely to be Misogynistic?

Page 18 of 18 [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

Autistic Men are More Misogynistic than Average?
I'm a male and I agree. 17%  17%  [ 27 ]
I'm a male and I disagree. 55%  55%  [ 86 ]
I'm a female and I agree. 12%  12%  [ 19 ]
I'm a female and I disagree. 15%  15%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 155

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2015, 11:38 pm

Bullsh*t. An autistic person is more likely to say something politically incorrect because they might not know how to filter out what is PC and what is not. But the NT is far more likely to actively have a racist or sexist sentiment.

For example an autistic person might say the N word or homophobic slurs, thinking it's a joke because he heard NTs say it, but say it in a manner that sounds bigoted.

I'm a moderate / liberal but I can completely understand how a young Aspie might be easily duped by PUA hucksters on the internet, as well as black-power, white-power and extreme feminist radicals trying to sell their skewed viewpoints. It's more likely that some autistics don't grok what the rules are than that they actively have animus toward the targeted group.

MrBear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2015, 10:54 pm

I have heard many stories that misogyny can be higher in Autistic males. I have not been that acquainted with many so cannot speak from experience. I myself and not Misogynistic and actually find it annoying when females are treated badly for their sex/gender. I view males and females as being of equal worth. I actually tend to prefer the company of females due to my fondness of "cute" things and being an emotional person. Extreme masculinity is actually troubling to me.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 11:22 pm

Thread number 9 million on here about how "awful men are to poor helpless lil victim women."

Blame is a great way to avoid addressing interpersonal incompetence.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 8:21 pm

1401b wrote:
Thread number 9 million on here about how "awful men are to poor helpless lil victim women."

Blame is a great way to avoid addressing interpersonal incompetence.

Guilty as charged. I am challenged by interpersonal relationships and was certainly incompetant in handling my marriage. These days I am becoming reconciled to independence.

I would have asked that this thread be deleted as I started it out of anger, but it got so many responses I figured I accidentally hit a nerve.

Anyway, I figure some autistic men are misogynistic, some aren't.

There seems to be a trend in L&D towards the mystification of women. Really I think men and women have more in common than differing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 8:23 pm

I agree. Men and women have much in common.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 8:47 pm

real gender equality: If we can punch men, we can punch women.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 8:49 pm

DailyPoutine1 wrote:

Or maybe no one punches anybody.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 8:53 pm

androbot01 wrote:
DailyPoutine1 wrote:

Or maybe no one punches anybody.

Whats the difference? Idiotic NTs won't stop punching one another to "impress" girls.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 6:28 am

DailyPoutine1 wrote:

Amen to that. Men are people, women are people, and though we may have our differences, we are ultimately equal, and we are all human beings. Women aren't lower than men, and men aren't lower than women.

ForeverAnon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2016, 10:51 am

I am a male, borderline (inconclusive diagnosis) here in the US. As far as my own experiences have gone, I see several "easy" assumptions/points of contention, but I seriously doubt there's any way to statistically support people with AS being *more* likely to be outright misogynistic than others, in a culture where sexuality can be about forcing pegs down the wrong holes :/

There *is* a lot of sexism in culture, regardless of conscious attempts or not. The thing is not all sexism is actively misogynstic. Aziz Ansari did an episode of "Master of None" covering sexism in general, especially regarding willful blindness from otherwise well-meaning guys (and women too) about certain experiences. ("He probably didn't mean anything by not shaking your hand", etc).

Misogyny can also come in different flavors too, be it slut-shaming, proactive attempts to harm/kill (slaying in the literal sense), or simply defining women's worth solely through ability to reproduce, do kitchen duty, or provide carnal pleasure (slaying in the vernacular sense).

Even certain adjectives/pejoratives get more commonly associated as feminine rather than others, but that could be the result of the internet or other media mediums having traditionally been a more guy-skewed echo chamber (as the old saying goes "The Internet: Where the Men are Men, the Women are Men, and the Girls are FBI Agents.").
Examples descriptors include Flake (traditionally, "Guy asks Girl on Date or to Hang Out, She Says Yes, Cancels."), Ratchet (instead of Thug or Gangsta or Balla or whatnot. "Sure, he's an as*hole, but date him so we can get free football tickets!"), or Basic (The Game first coined the term Basic b***h for the stereotypical shallow girl who likes "yoga, sushi, travel, top 40s music, Pumpkin Spice Lattes, etc." The term Basic Bro hasn't caught on as much, that it's easier to just call the guy Basic and be done with it).

By comparison, an insult like Fuckboy simply means that a guy hasn't fully grown up and hasn't gotten past the stage of sexual experimentation that people are arbitrarily supposed to experience from ages 16 to 24, or some other ambiguous range dictated by a schizophrenic culture that condemns extramarital sex as immoral while judging those that don't buy into its own ideals of sexual marketing as losers.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2016, 4:34 pm

Misogyny is not an autism thing, but between misogyny and autism can be chains of causes and consequences.

I have been misogynistic because I was hurt and fooled by many girls and young women, so I hadn't many good thoughts about them. With the age that changed. So, I wasn't misogynistic because of my autism, but because of stigmatization and faking by girls. Actually, girls taught me to be misogynistic without realising that.

My misogyny disappeared because there is no longer a reason to be that. There are no female bullies anymore, like there were in the past.

Clarky
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2016, 6:47 pm

For me there is absolutely no problem with females. It's all down to the person in question in my opinion.

My grandmother is the sweetest most caring person ever yet my mother is the most blunt and stern person I've ever met. Then on top of that my partner is a good blend of the two.

VSaxena
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 May 2016, 12:36 pm

As an Aspie, I certainly feel a deal of anger in me toward women. I got a great job, I take care of my health, I own my own home, I treated people well, I am charitable and I even tutor this young girl in math (online, mind you), but I always get rejected and never given a chance -- be it because of my initial awkwardness, my social anxiety (also a problem) or my ugly brown looks.

Yet I have met so many women with Asperger's who were meth heads or happily unemployed or purposefully taking advantage of the welfare system, or who didn't work out at all or who didn't even try, yet who could get a bf at the snap of a finger.

It frustrates me, because I feel like no matter how hard I try to be an awesome human being and guy, that it's never enough -- that I never measure up and am never good enough. And then I meet Aspie after Aspie woman who doesn't make nearly as much effort (many make no effort) and they're like inundated with guys after them.

It just makes me sad, is all, because I wish I had those opportunities. I wish I could log into my OkCupid and see messages from people. Even if I try to message them, introducing myself and commenting about something on their profile, it's always that I am ignored.

But I would not say I am misogynistic or whatnot. I got a few online female friends, including the 14-year-old whom I tutor. And I LOVE Fox News host Megyn Kelly. She's so objective and non-biased. But I am definitely frustrated and perhaps bitter and just wish I would be given a chance.

But it's like love is based these days on whether you give the other person "tingles" or something. But that's not how I feel love, you know. My dad is quiet and introverted, my mom is outgoing and shy. I cannot imagine that he ever gave her tingles. But he loved her so much and was good to her, and thus love developed.

Real love to me is like that, you know. Real, genuine love to me is like two trees side by side, facing the same direction, pretty much teaming together against the elements. Over time -- many years, in fact -- of being so close to one another and fighting so many united battles, they begin to grow in each other's directions and their roots and twigs become intertwined, to the point that they eventually become one tree.

And I just want my tree ...

But yeah. Excuse the mini rant, and I hope I didn't offend anyone!