Is anxiety and depression your biggest problem with ASD?

Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Are anxiety and depression are the most difficult aspect of coping with ASD
Yes, Anxiety and Depression are the most difficult part of it all. 53%  53%  [ 25 ]
NO, trouble relating to others is my biggest problem. 21%  21%  [ 10 ]
Being unable to take care of myself independently is the biggest problem for me and my ASD. 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
There are other matters that are the most painful part of having an ASD for me. 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
I love having my ASD. There is nothing wrong with me. 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 47

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 7:31 pm

Magnus_Rex wrote:
And the problem with depression is that you stop enjoying a lot of things, which creates a vicious circle in which you are unhappy because you are never entertained and you are never entertained because you are unhappy.

Yes, I think that anhedonia can easily get into a self-reinforcing loop, - snowballs.
That's bad.
I think this may be a situation where using the meds is justified.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 7:49 pm

olympiadis wrote:
Magnus_Rex wrote:
And the problem with depression is that you stop enjoying a lot of things, which creates a vicious circle in which you are unhappy because you are never entertained and you are never entertained because you are unhappy.

Yes, I think that anhedonia can easily get into a self-reinforcing loop, - snowballs.
That's bad.
Yes, especially when it goes hand in hand with almost non-stop rumination. That's a really hard combination to deal with and compounds the depression.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 7:57 pm

Anxiety and depression are definitely the hardest part of my ASD. My social skills are good enough for daily life, but I have terrible bouts of anxiety at times, and dealt with a lot of crippling depression as a teenager. The after effects of my depression have made me very cynical and dark humored as well.