are you an atheist ? whats your theory ? im an atheist

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

bl44d3lf
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Mar 2015, 3:49 am

well i dont wanna scare you .......

but ........

what happends when the brain coinciousness dies ?

is there a spirit realm ?

like we cross over :)

if the soul exists ....... what happends with the body coinciousness ? soul = exist ? body coincousness = cease to exist ?

can you say me it ! !! !! !! !! !

its very complicated

at the moment when i dont got the full theory of crossing over in the afterlife. (body) (life) (live)

im forced to take the position of an atheist.

its sad if the soul lives on but the body dies. i see the body as murder lol ...

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 4:27 am

Atheism is about deities; it has nothing to do with life, death, consciousness, souls, or any other supernatural entities. Therefore, whatever ideas atheists have about these things will not be directly related to atheism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 8:45 am

I'm an atheist who wishes there was something like an afterlife or reincarnation.

Alas, I have no faith that either exist. Nor any deity.

It would be nice, in a way, to have "faith," though.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 9:39 am

bl44d3lf wrote:

but ........

if the soul exists ....... what happends with the body coinciousness ? soul = exist ? body coincousness = cease to exist ?

can you say me it ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

its very complicated

at the moment when i dont got the full theory of crossing over in the afterlife. (body) (life) (live)

its sad if the soul lives on but the body dies. i see the body as murder lol ...

There is no one iota of empirical evidence to support the notion of the persona surviving physical death. When one is dead, one is gone as a persona or person. All that remains are the memories of the deceased in the minds of those still living.

ruveyn

princessarachne
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Mar 2015, 8:36 pm

^^^ What Ruveyn said.
But if you wait long enough, you'll find out. No reason to worry now.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 9:24 pm

Atheism, in simplest terms, is the absence of belief in gods. Thus, Atheism has as much to do deities and the afterlife as not collecting stamps has to do with hobbies in general.

For the record, I am not an Atheist; I just hate religion.

TheCoolStoryBro
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2015, 8:54 pm

I think maybe when we die our macroscopic self disintegrates, and the microscopic version of self lives on.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 9:07 pm

a book that deals well with the unlikeliness of an afterlife is "why i am not a christian" by bertrand russell, an atheist nobleman who gave away his riches to the poor. more like a christian than most christians.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 9:08 pm

bl44d3lf wrote:

but ........

My waveform collapses (both literally and in the schrodinger sense) and who i was exists only in the memories of the people who knew me.

Quote:

Don't see any reason or evidence to suggest that it does?

Quote:

can you say me it ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Like i said. Waveform collapse.

Quote:
its very complicated

Oh, I wouldn't say so.

There are a lot of theories of how an afterlife might work.

I don't personally believe any of them, but I can't tell you what to believe, just as nobody could tell me what to believe.

TheCoolStoryBro
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2015, 1:43 am

It's impossible to be aware of being unconscious.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 2:45 am

I kind of believe in everything. All religions, all superstitions, etc. The only things I don't believe in are aliens and zombies. I also have no clue at all what is going to happen after we die. None. I'll have to wait and see, there isn't anything else I can do. Anything else is really nothing more than a guess, and having faith that our guess was right.

I hope it isn't anything bad.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 4:35 am

It's pretty easy to imagine what happens when you die as an atheist: you just fall asleep but never wake up. It's like a sleeping a night without remembering dreams except you never wake up to realize you don't remember them.

And about afterlife - just imagine the life you have now is a dream of your soul. After death you will wake up and realize it all has been just a dream and your real life memories will return to you. It doesn't feel like murder of your dream character when you wake up from any dream, does it?

Another version works too: according to some people the material body is just a suit - it lets the soul to interact with material environment just as a spacesuit lets astronauts survive in the space. Death is like taking off the uncomfortable clothes that got rundown and are no longer useable. You don't kill clothes when you take them off and throw away because clothes are not alive, they are just tools.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 5:20 am

Kiriae wrote:
It's pretty easy to imagine what happens when you die as an atheist: you just fall asleep but never wake up. It's like a sleeping a night without remembering dreams except you never wake up to realize you don't remember them.

And about afterlife - just imagine the life you have now is a dream of your soul. After death you will wake up and realize it all has been just a dream and your real life memories will return to you. It doesn't feel like murder of your dream character when you wake up from any dream, does it?

Another version works too: according to some people the material body is just a suit - it lets the soul to interact with material environment just as a spacesuit lets astronauts survive in the space. Death is like taking off the uncomfortable clothes that got rundown and are no longer useable. You don't kill clothes when you take them off and throw away because clothes are not alive, they are just tools.

The one thing I wonder about, but don't really worry about much because I can't do anything about it anyway, is what if we are actually still conscious after we die and we just don't have the ability to measure the brain waves yet?

Now that would be a horror show. But, I don't think thats true, although you never know...

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 7:07 am

I think we just die. When we die, everything goes back to the way it is was before we were born.

Immortailty might sound fun at a glance but when you get really old the body starts deterioratoring and so does the mind. I think when I am 70 years old I will begin to look forward to death as morbid as that might sound.

Another person might take your "place" after you die but is this person "you." Is this person an incarnation of "you." No one really knows. There is really only one "you" but what are the chances you are alive? About 0. Maybe life does continue after death. Difficult to say.

Why am I a human and not a ladybug? Why? Nobody really has an answer.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 9:27 am

bl44d3lf wrote:
(...)at the moment when i dont got the full theory of crossing over in the afterlife. (body) (life) (live)

im forced to take the position of an atheist(...)

In my opinion you sound more like an agnostic than an atheist.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 9:32 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:
I think we just die. When we die, everything goes back to the way it is was before we were born(...)

The situations are not the same. When we were born, we hadn't ever lived. When we die, we have lived.